Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i did a rear brake job on the x a week or 2 ago and replaced rotors and pads.

i still have a slight vibe so am about to do the fronts tomorrow. i have a nice groove in the front pass side rotor as well so new rotors and pads.

with that said, i realized tonight that i misread the torque specs and torqued the rear caliper bracket bolts to 102 ft/lbs and not 76 ft/lbs. I was reading the n-m column and not the ft/lbs column in the haynes manual.... geez. Now that i think about it, i could have gone to 136 ft/lbs as that's for the FRONT caliper bracket bolts torque and maybe I was even more stupid. I am about 80% sure I just went to 102 but was thinking, damn, this is tight.....the whole way.

once i do fronts and test drive and all is well, would you:

a) remove rear wheels, unloosen those 4 bolts (2 per side) and snug back to 76 ft/lbs
b) let it ride- most mechanic shops probably overtorque anyhow?

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I can't think of a reason it would be a problem if you didn't break/strip anything. The only issue I can think of is it might be more difficult to remove them next time...

Did you use anti-seize?

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just went out and looked at torque wrench. there is no way i set it to 136 ft/lbs. So it was 102 ft/lbs. The whole time i was tightening i was thinking, man this is tight even though i do the wheel studs at 98... but the angle is weird.

so, looks like i put them at 102 ft lbs versus 76.

i did not use anti seize.

The old disc is the oem disc, and that was last removed at 70k miles to do the parking brake pad. I have 119k miles on it now. SO oem rotor lasted 119k miles.

My thought is that the next time i have to remove rotor, will be in about 5 years at the soonest the way i drive it nowadays, so, as long as 25% more torque won't cause it to become one with what it bolts to, it should be ok. I may just wait till next rotation, then do it right then AS LONG AS that would be ok to wait another 6 months or so.. My biggest fear is snapping it off trying to loosen it. I have a trip coming of wednesday and that would suck if i had to replace whatever it bolts into....

·
on line
7,141 Posts
While your at it check your nuts. I think they're torqued too much

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While your at it check your nuts. I think they're torqued too much
bahahahahahahah.

so is this your way of saying not to worry about it then???

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Ive never torqued a single bolt in my life. Everything still runs fine. Some things probably should be torqued but most things just need to be pretty tight. Common sense says that youre just bolting a big ass metal thing to another big ass metal thing so as long as it stays on there then it should be good.

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive never torqued a single bolt in my life. Everything still runs fine. Some things probably should be torqued but most things just need to be pretty tight. Common sense says that youre just bolting a big ass metal thing to another big ass metal thing so as long as it stays on there then it should be good.
lol.......

gotcha man...

i suppose when/if i ever need to remove it (rotor change) then pb-blaster ftw.... i use that anyways on suspension/big brake bolts.....

·
on line
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i did a rear brake job on the x a week or 2 ago and replaced rotors and pads.

i still have a slight vibe so am about to do the fronts tomorrow. i have a nice groove in the front pass side rotor as well so new rotors and pads.

with that said, i realized tonight that i misread the torque specs and torqued the rear caliper bracket bolts to 102 ft/lbs and not 76 ft/lbs. I was reading the n-m column and not the ft/lbs column in the haynes manual.... geez. Now that i think about it, i could have gone to 136 ft/lbs as that's for the FRONT caliper bracket bolts torque and maybe I was even more stupid. I am about 80% sure I just went to 102 but was thinking, damn, this is tight.....the whole way.

once i do fronts and test drive and all is well, would you:

a) remove rear wheels, unloosen those 4 bolts (2 per side) and snug back to 76 ft/lbs
b) let it ride- most mechanic shops probably overtorque anyhow?

thoughts?
Replaced fronts. Pads and rotors. No vibes at all and that's after a recent 400 miles trip to mountains. ��
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts