Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just brought my X into the dealer for an oil change....yea it's free so we'll take advantage of it. The guy comes out and says yes uhhh u need front brakes. My X is 13 months old and has 18k miles. Seems kinda early for a brakes...is it just me or has anyone else needed breaks kinda early? 90% of my driving is highway so i'm not hard on the brakes. I dunno, any input...and 275 for front brakes seems like a lot. Any input is appreciated

·
on line
1,320 Posts
$275... that's @ssrape. buy the pads from the parts store for $70 and DIY if you have a place to do it... i think somebody posted a great how-to!

·
on line
423 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
$275... that's @ssrape. buy the pads from the parts store for $70 and DIY if you have a place to do it... i think somebody posted a great how-to!
I couldn't agree more!! They are not difficult to do. And if you do it once, you will wonder why you would consider paying someone in the future. If you had to pull bearings, etc., that would be a different story.

You can look and see if you feel the brakes are really worn. Pop a tire off and look at three areas:

1. rotors...are they grooved or other flaws? cracks, etc.? Front and back
2. Look at the inside pad...how much is there?
3. Ditto on the outside pad. The inside could be worn more than the outside.

Did the dealer show you why he thought that you needed the brakes done?

·
on line
14,014 Posts
Brake Issues

I haven't to full-on replace my brakes, but both my front brakes and rear drums have had issues. I've had to bring the X in about 3 or 4 times now due to a horrible screeching whenever I would barely tap the brakes, come to find out there was just a lot of "brake dust" build-up that the dealership cleaned out. Thank god for that warranty, though.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't show me anything. Mechanic came out and said i need front brakes...i said i'll make an appointment durin the week.
It turns out that my ex g/fs father is the service manager at my dealer. I'll give him a call during the week. He's been real helpful doin anything i need. Never waited more then 20 mins for an oil change at the dealer. I'll see what he says. Dealers suck.

Problem with doing it myself is i have nowhere to do it.I live in an apartment and park on the street.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Just repeating what the service chick said, but I believe you're right on that one.
Those people are so fooking clueless... i took mine in one day and the guy thought it was a pathfinder!

·
on line
2,938 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
TXterra37 said:
Just repeating what the service chick said, but I believe you're right on that one.
Those people are so fooking clueless... i took mine in one day and the guy thought it was a pathfinder!
Agree and the parts folks are not much better. I had to take the guy out to my X to show him that his computer was wrong and my X did not have a leaf pack shock mount!

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
General concesus (sp??) on 18k being early for the breaks to be needed in the front?? Too soon or about average

·
on line
15,651 Posts
That a bit soon...though my rear pads were totally gone and the front were millimeters thick at 30K miles. So maybe if you are hard on the brake, 18K might be right.

My suggestion, get aftermarket pads, not OEM. I don't know how much longer they will last, but they can't be worse and they are cheaper.

·
on line
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like a plan on the aftermarket ones....18k seemed too early considering most of my driving is highway wit little braking.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Yeah, if you are up to 40K, I would give them a look for sure.

I got Bendix and so far so good. They have only been on for about 9K or so though.

·
on line
114 Posts
while we're on the subject of brakes...

I noticed that recently, it would seem my X has been fighting resistance from the front end during accleration and general cruising. Before even looking at anything, in my mind I thought it felt like brakes were being applied even though I didn't have my foot on the brake pedal.

To investigate, I checked the rotation of the front wheels since that seemed to be the general area affected. Upon jacking up the front of my X via the cross member (letting the wheels droop), I found that I had to force the rotation of both left and right front wheels. I can't get them to freely spin AT ALL. There's a lot of drag. So, I broke everything down, cleaned the rotors and pads, greased everything up and reassembled. After doing this, I rotated the hubs by hand and they spun with much less resistance. While they wouldn't spin freely due to the CV angles at droop, it was obvious that nothing was dragging and the rotation was smooth. So, I put the wheels back on, drove to work and guess what, the damn things are dragging again. The pads are pressing too hard against the rotors. There's no interference from the wheels.

I went to the dealership and they said that they didn't have any solution because everything checked out. They even hooked up the 'magic decoder' and didn't get any trouble codes.

So, here I am with dragging brakes. They don't make noise but I can feel the resistance in acceleration and cruising. My guess is that the brake boost actuator rod is not adjusted correctly and is keeping too much pressure on the calipers.

Any other thoughts?

Terry

·
on line
339 Posts
i think you would smell your brakes burning if your brakes were dragging that much. or at the very least, you would be able to feel an abnormal amount of heat coming off the brakes....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts