Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced a situation where the brake pedal becomes very stiff while braking. I am in cold temperatures and I have had this happen to me a couple of times now. It doesn't seem to be related to the APS or VDC? Any ideas?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Stiff while braking--

--Interesting--

:cheers: :cheers: --JIMBO

·
on line
631 Posts
sdtaylo said:
The brake booster was split and caused moisture to get inside and freeze. Not good.
interesting.... never seen it happen before...

my pedal has always been soft ever since i bought the truck brand new. i dont like it but i gotta live with it until i replace the pads and rotors

·
on line
471 Posts
I would check brake fluid, it can absorb 2% of its mass in each year, even when in the master cylinder and brake lines, when it gets cold, some fluids might freeze, but brake fluid dosen't. If its water it would make the pedal harder to push.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
is it just a little stiffer than normal. Mine does that when it's cold, kind of like the fluid is a bit thicker. My clutch also does that, but after a few minutes of driving everything seems to loosen up.

Very stiff though, I would not call it that. A little stiff

·
on line
3,484 Posts
People don't really realize it, but you should just drain and replace brake fluid at least every two years. It's pretty easy. It does absorb moisture and can cause problems especially with today's' ABS systems. Use a quality fluid. Normal bleeding procedure. Also while on the subject Coolant should also be drained and replaced, I did not mention a flush, Just drain and replace. It's good medicine. MC

·
on line
47 Posts
usmc xterra said:
People don't really realize it, but you should just drain and replace brake fluid at least every two years. It's pretty easy. It does absorb moisture and can cause problems especially with today's' ABS systems. Use a quality fluid. Normal bleeding procedure. Also while on the subject Coolant should also be drained and replaced, I did not mention a flush, Just drain and replace. It's good medicine. MC
So I'm not the only one! I just mentioned in another post about changing the brake fluid, steering fluid, & coolant once I hit the 2yr mark this coming February.

·
on line
443 Posts
My SVX had a faulty brake cap and water had gotten in and one day in the summer it expanded and my car just locked up. that was pretty scary. bleed and refill and replaced the cap and everything was good again. Now I bleed all of mine at least every 2 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts