Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question 1

When i apply the brake hard someties when is wet or snow outside...... My brake will stop, and feel like it slip and stop again. I have a hard time stopping in snow sometimes when i brake hard....... Is this normal?
It almost feel like the brake pad is worn out.....

BUT i just changed the front brake pad last weekend, and got some need tires today.... it still does that....but not as often!! Only when i brake really hard

How can i fix that?

Question 2
How do i know if my brake is dragging?? is there a good way to test that? i'm wondering if my brake is dragging

Question 3
I bought the green stuff brake last time, how long sure it last? I feel like it worn out too quick.... This time i just got the good brake from Advance auto, not the green stuff.

Question 4
Lately when i brake my wheel shakes alittle, it is getting worse awhile ago... and i changed the brake rotor and pad. it went a way then.... now is coming back. What is causing my rotor bad? is it my brake caliper going bad?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think that is your ABS kicking in. The brakes will pulsate (ABS) and once it can it will grab the disc to stop.

One good way to fix it is to slow down while driving in the snow.

Tires will help with traction more so then anything.

If your brakes are dragging or it is seized your rotors after highway or extended use will be burning red/orange in color. I think another indication is the wear marks on the rotors.

For the vibrations on the wheels - it might be ice stuck on your brakes/tires.
Or your rotors are warped again but you said you just changed it. Check for the ICE stuck first.

For the other questions maybe another member can chime in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Without seeing it in person, my guess is the pads need to be broken in if you haven't done so already. Also, you should bleed the brakes everytime when you change brake pads. On a side note, you should never brake hard in snow for safety reason. But yes, I do believe that's the ABS kicking in.

As far as checking to see if your brakes are dragging, you have to jack the truck up and spin the tire. If the tire spins freely, then it's good. If you feel some resistant, then it's dragging. But keep in mind a slight drag is good as it helps braking response time.

For the vibration you feel while braking. That I am not 100% sure, some other members may know what the cause is. But I think, again, is the brakes haven't been broken in properly.

Post some pictures if you can.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It does feel like the ABS kicking in, but i'm not sure.
I usually never brake hard in rain or snow but i was just doing testing with the new brake and new tires.

For example that would be a problem if i have to brake hard and ABS kick in..... it will slip and the car wont stop.

When i removed the wheel, there is really nothing holding the rotor in place beside those stud and the brake caliper... it can easily move.

I think my rotor might be warp again, what cause that??? Something to do with my brake caliper?

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
that is likely the abs you are referring to

that is normal for the rotor to be "free" - its not bolted in - its sandwiched between your wheel and hub

overheating your rotors will cause them to warp. This is caused by lots of heavy braking. It can also be caused by not properly torquing your lugs - make sure you tighten them in a star pattern

the best way to check if a brake is dragging is to lift the tire up and see if you can spin it. you should be able to spin your tires when they are off the ground relatively easily. If any one tire is significantly more difficult to spin than the rest - the brake could be hung

Also worth noting - if the vibration is there only when braking, it is probably a warped rotor. If the vibration is always there (whether you are braking or not), its not a rotor issue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if the caliper going bad, will that cost the rotor to warp?? i hardly use my brake...... So.....i'm wondering what would cost my rotor to be over heated.

I when i take my wheel off, i always use torque wrench to tighten it. and i always tell the shop to do that too.... but if they are doing that or not...??

Oh when i brake really hard sometimes... it feel like all the sudden i lost brake pressure, i'm guessing that is the ABS right?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If by "green stuff" pads you mean ebc green stuff, then they have a break in period. I just went through it. New pads have to seed to the rotor. It takes a few hundred miles but it gets better. Until then use light brake pressure like they tell you in the break in procedure.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did that following the brake in step by step.. when i installed them couple years ago. My brake already new to be replace after couple year.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
i did that following the brake in step by step.. when i installed them couple years ago. My brake already new to be replace after couple year.
Didn't you say in the op that you recently replaced the front pads?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there a way to check if my ABS is working correctly??? I'm thinking my ABS might kick in more often than need to be.

·
on line
328 Posts
Are the pads on the truck the same material as the old ones (metallic, semi metallic, ceramic, organic etc.)? if not the bed in procedure you performed may not have worked since there was different material types on the rotor. You can machine the rotors and try the bed in process again.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It's just your ABS, its sucks on my truck, just stop the damn tire and the truck will stop, but it keeps doing its thing and I go an extra 5 feet than I should.

I have been better at putting pressure on the brake pedal so the ABS doesn't engage.

But IMO it is just the ABS being "helpful".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts