Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I first snagged my 2010 Xterra the brakes needed replaced, I finally replaced them and the brake pedal still feels like shit. The next step will be a complete fluid flush and change but I did bleed all the brakes after I changed out the rotors and pads.

It has a big pretty dead spot when you first press on the pedal, after changing the brakes I can feel they bit a little sooner but still seems like it has a lot of play.

I have no leaks btw, I did check all that when I had it on the lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Did you bleed the brakes in the proper order? Its a very specific order due to the ABS system. your also supposed to disconnect power from the ABS - or just pull your negative battery cable, which will then require your ABS / slip reset and reprogram your radio.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you bleed the brakes in the proper order? Its a very specific order due to the ABS system. your also supposed to disconnect power from the ABS - or just pull your negative battery cable, which will then require your ABS / slip reset and reprogram your radio.

I just did the rule of thumb and started from the furthest away, but this a little different.

I for sure did not know about disconnecting the ABS so ill for sure do that when I flush everything.

Thank you for sharing that

·
TNX Veteran
4,705 Posts
Every time I do the brakes, I always question "Did I actually bleed these correctly?" because of how squishy it is. But I've never gotten it to feel any different... that being said, I have the same setup as you and those Powerstop pads were a nice improvement over stock

·
Registered
493 Posts
If you don't like the amount of free play, you can adjust that at the pedal. It's as simple as loosening a lock nut, unscrewing the push rod, then tightening the nuts back up. Takes like 5 minutes.

After I did mine and my buddies brakes, both trucks were still squishy. I adjusted the pedals and now they both feel like a new car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every time I do the brakes, I always question "Did I actually bleed these correctly?" because of how squishy it is. But I've never gotten it to feel any different... that being said, I have the same setup as you and those Powerstop pads were a nice improvement over stock
Well that is good to hear that nothing is actually wrong, thank you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't like the amount of free play, you can adjust that at the pedal. It's as simple as loosening a lock nut, unscrewing the push rod, then tightening the nuts back up. Takes like 5 minutes.

After I did mine and my buddies brakes, both trucks were still squishy. I adjusted the pedals and now they both feel like a new car.
Well that is great information, I have done something similar to clutch pedals in my past vehicles. Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Funny you post this because this exact scenario happened to me a few weeks ago. Did all new pads and rotors on every tire and when I got done there was the same amount of play on the pedal. Thought for sure it should be a little stiffer? Bled the brakes and changed all fluid (I didn't unplug ABS and started with the closest first 🤦‍♂️) based on a very popular YouTube video about changing xterra brakes. It's a little better but still not like I expected. Good to know it's like that for others. I am definitely going to check out adjusting the brake pedal!

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
1,069 Posts
FWIW I had squishy brakes. The guides pins kept sticking, I replaced the pads, disks, pins and did a complete flush, exercised the ABS a few times, then bled again.
Its not bad now. Not as great as I'd like it to be, but much better.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Before anyone does this, read this thread in its entirety.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
I just did the rule of thumb and started from the furthest away, but this a little different.

I for sure did not know about disconnecting the ABS so ill for sure do that when I flush everything.

Thank you for sharing that
My experience when I bled in the wrong order, the brakes worked but there was more travel, then the brakes would hit suddenly. Bleeding in the correct order returned the brakes to their normally squishy feel.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Before anyone does this, read this thread in its entirety.
I did read that thread before I did mine. Very small adjustments make a significant difference. He might have over-adjusted his, because neither mine or my buddies are dragging the brakes, and I adjusted like 2 inches of pedal play out of mine. Also, you don't have to go through all the steps he took, removing the switches and clevis pin... just loosen the lock nut, turn the rod a little, then tighten the lock nut. Start the truck and feel the pedal play. If it's where you like it, take it for a test drive to make sure they aren't dragging.

My suggestion? Make very small adjustments until your brakes feel the way you think they should feel.

Reactions: Fatti

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
....and maybe don't get greedy trying to get a rock hard pedal, as there's simply difference between vehicles, and there will be a limit to what you can get from any given vehicle.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I remember a while back someone posting about why the X's brakes felt "like crap".. compared to their vw gti.. um yeah... its not a freaking spots car. there is alot of travel and play in the lines etc compared to a sports car...

that said, i get wanting to make it alittle better feeling, just dont expect race car brake from a 4x4 is all.

OP nice looking new brake set up, im sure it stops way better, even if the pedal doesnt make it seem like it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya I know its not a sports car but my dam 2000 Yukon 2500 feels like s sports car compared to this thing right now lol.

So im going to bleed them per what the FSM which thank you guys for sharing cause I never knew that was the order needed nor did I know you needed to unplug the ABS and then slightly adjust the rod on the brake pedal, I have made adjustments before to a rod in my previous vehicles so im confident I can not fuck it up lol.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Don't think about it as sports car versus truck. They are simply DIFFERENT.
Some vehicles have soft pedals, others have firm pedals.
Some takes more pressure, some take more travel.

I've driven a 1996 chevy 1500 back to back with a 1996 F150 (back in late 90s when both were in great shape lol) they simply felt entirely different. And both owners were accustomed to it, so the other truck felt weird to them. "there's no travel to gauge how hard you're stopping" vs "It feels like stomping on a pillow before anything happens"

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I adjusted rod ever so slightly maybe like 1/4 or so of a turn and man that made a nice difference, Ill be flushing out all the old fluid and properly bleeding the brakes tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't go wrong with braided steel brake lines. That's about the best way to firm up a soft pedal, besides getting ALL the air out of the system. No need to disconnect anything regarding the ABS. Sometimes it helps to have a bi-directional scan tool to perform an "ABS bleed" procedure for stubborn units. For a normal brake job, this shouldn't be necessary. Only time I do that is if the entire system is replaced from front to back - master cylinder, lines, calipers, & wheel cylinders if equipped. The scan tool makes the bleed procedure go much smoother and in less time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts