Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock brakes are like steping on a dog turd, real mushy and soft at first, till you hit bottom.

Anybody been able to find some after market pads for the Xterra?

If so, what brand, did they work better, or the same? or worse?

Looking to replace the pads soon.

FYI;
(Raybestos QS pads, I had these warp the rotors on two past vehicles, (Durango & Cherokee) pulled the pads off both and found serious cracks in the pads at less than 10K) These things should be pulled off the market).

Thanks,

~Lewis

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I got Bendix pads (with stock rotors) on all four wheels.

The brakes don't feel any different than they did with the new OEM pads.

·
on line
240 Posts
I prefer the ceramic pads on my vehicles. I like not having to deal with brake dust anymore.

·
on line
376 Posts
Ive got the Metal Matrix pads Stillen sells. I also upgraded to cross-drilled slotted rotors and Ive got less fade now. Im expecting them to last longer than stock as my stockers only took me 30k miles

·
on line
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently Bendix are Ceramic pads, they have a semi-metalic also, dont know who's brand (Pena)Stillen is selling.

~Lewis

·
on line
37 Posts
I second the ceramic pads. They are worth every penny. Spend a little extra, get a little more. Less brake dust and more stopping power. I ran them on my Altima for years before my X and after going through many. many cheapo brakepads every 15k miles, i put on ceramics and they lasted 3x as long...

I highly recommend any ceramic pad.(well good ceramic pad from a good manufacturer)

·
on line
142 Posts
The stock brakes are like steping on a dog turd, real mushy and soft at first, till you hit bottom.
I second that.

The best thing I have heard of to improve pedal feel is braided stainless lines and really good brake fluid. Has anyone seen a kit for the front lines? Of course we can get the rear lines, but I think putting them on all four corners would help the most.

I measured the front lines this morning. They are about 14" long. All we need is the right fittings for the X.

I would buy them in a second if I could get all 4. The brake feel is one of my biggest complaints about daily driving in the X.

Z.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Is this still the general feeling for everyone else? Braided lines and better fluid helps fix the turd-brakes?

·
on line
16,147 Posts
braided lines keep the lines from expanding when you step on the pedal...so yes they will give you a better "feel" to your brakes...they will NOT increase stopping power....

·
on line
52 Posts
I had braided lines on my MG Midget and it helped a lot with the soft pedal (not exactly a good analogy!). Not sure they are legal because the braid covers the actual line and it could be an inspection issue.
Rich

·
on line
1,059 Posts
I'm running EBC Greentuff pads on all for corners of both my X's with good results..

·
on line
1,811 Posts
I have Hawk Brake Pads, the LTS version. They are better than stock and Raybestos. A lil bit more expensive but I like them

·
on line
99 Posts
i have the braided lines throughout and i still feel like i'm stepping in poo- not only that but ever since I put on 285 mud tires i now have to apply way too much pressure (into the poo) to stop. It's almost a two-foot deal--well not really. I need better calipers.

·
on line
1,120 Posts
I'm running EBC Greenstuff pads on all 4 corners and their slotted drilled rotors on front (saw no need for the rear as the fronts do most of the stopping). I am also running Goodrich G Stop braided lines the kit had 6 lines in it one for each caliper and two that come off the chassis to the rear axle. All this did a bunch to firm up the peddle as well as help with stopping distance which has come in handy a few times when ID10T's on cell phones pull out in front of me since I guess a White X with HID's is hard to see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts