Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could this piece rub up against the rotor? My confidence in the spring is iffy, and I'm interested in putting a more aggressive spring for seperation, just to make sure the brakes don't drag.

I noticed that the original manual I downloaded from Nissan's website doesn't have a reference to the seperation spring. I pulled this image from the Technical Service bulliten for squeaking brakes

·
on line
2,938 Posts
What's funny is I ordered front pads from turnersville nissan. No spring was included. I ask about the spring and they said it is not necessary.

I know on my wife's honda CRV it has the spring.

·
on line
376 Posts
You can just reuse the stock one. The end is literally bent like a paper clip and there is a hole in your brake pad and you just slide it in. The tension is the only thing that holds it on. I doubt it is very functional at all though. Probably some safety regulation they had to meet.

·
on line
237 Posts
Perhaps this is why my brakes seem to squeal more than any other car I have owned...the spring is weak and rubbing? Does anybody else have squeaky brakes (mostly when cold and fresh...but still more than I would expect). Oops - trying to hijack the thread, sorry! :cyclops:

·
on line
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had my brakes replaced under the technical service bulliten, but I personally didn't get a chance to see the how everything went back together. When I get a chance I'll be taking the wheels off to see what's going on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I just replaced all 4 brakes a while ago. Those springs on the front pads, although not beefy, should do the job. The ones that came with the Bendix brakes I bought (they came with the pads, squeel covers, springs and new pad guides) were strong enough to cause both pads to shoot out of the guides and land on the ground if you didn't hold on to them while putting the caliper back on.

As for them rubbing on the rotor. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if they did it's not going to hurt anything and you surely wouldn't hear it.

If your brakes are squeeling, take it abck tot he dealer for the TSB, or check your pads to make sure they are not wore all the way down. I only had about 32K miles on mine and the rear were nearly metal on metal and the front wasn't much better (first time I ever had rear brakes wear faster than the front.

·
on line
237 Posts
Well their not worn down (less than 20000 miles on them and I checked)...and dealer oked them at last service. I usually attribute cold/fresh squealing to rust on rotor...but it seems to happen more frequently then that. Figured it may be design issue. But if nobody else has noticed that it squeals more than other vehicles I will mention it the next time it is in.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine squeak like a pig. But I really do not want to deal with the dealership. They are a PITA and completely clueless. But I guess I can stop by and see if my X is covered under the TSB.

They also just opened a new dealership a little farther away. I should try them.

·
on line
283 Posts
VanX said:
Perhaps this is why my brakes seem to squeal more than any other car I have owned...the spring is weak and rubbing? Does anybody else have squeaky brakes (mostly when cold and fresh...but still more than I would expect). Oops - trying to hijack the thread, sorry! :cyclops:
Yes! My brakes squeal more than any other vehicle I've owned. They started at about 3,000 miles and seem to do it only when cold. I'm definitely going to bring it up with the dealer next time I'm there.

·
on line
81 Posts
Just rolled past 8200 miles, only 3 months old though; and no squeal at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts