Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I recently swapped my rear axle and had to disconnect the rear lines.

Do I have to bleed the front in order to get the rear to work again? I know the sequence but doing the front to get the rear to work just doesn't make logical sense and waste a lot of fluid. My rear brakes do not work at all as of now and I already sent a quart of oil through them but it all mainly came out the front calipers. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I suggest you follow the sequence (FL/FR/RL/RR off the top of my head I think that's how it goes).
Also, don't press the brakes all the way down or you might blow your master cylinder, a 2x4 underneath the pedal helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Forgot to add that there are few how-to videos on YouTube in case you need a visual of what you need to do and/or if you're doing it by yourself :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Sexy said he knows the order, but just for clarification of anyone reading, the proper order is: Pass (right) Rear / Driver (left) Front / Driver (left) Rear / Pass (right) Front ...

From the other thread:
Bleeding instruction from the FSM. Power needs to be off to the ABS actuator and the bleeding sequence is not intuitive:

• Do not let brake fluid splash on the painted surfaces of the body. This might damage the paint, so
when splashing it, immediately wipe off the area and wash away with water.
• Before servicing, disconnect ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) connector or battery negative
terminal.
• While bleeding, monitor the master cylinder brake fluid level.
1. Turn ignition switch OFF and disconnect ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) connector or battery
negative terminal.
2. Connect a vinyl tube to the rear right bleed valve.
3. Fully depress brake pedal 4 to 5 times.
4. With brake pedal depressed, loosen bleed valve to let the air out, and then tighten it immediately.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more air comes out.
6. Tighten bleed valve to the specified torque. Refer to BR-33, "Exploded View of Brake Caliper" (front disc
brake), BR-38, "Exploded View of Brake Caliper" (rear disc brake).
7. Perform steps 2 to 6 at each wheel, with master cylinder reservoir tank filled at least half way, bleed air
from the front left, rear left, and front right bleed valve, in that order.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I know the order, been doing it over and over again the thing is the fronts are fine. I get a steady flow out of the front but the rear just trickles. The front brakes are burning through all the fluid because they are bled and working fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 7 of 7 Posts