Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Updated - post #9

Seen this product mentioned a few times on the site by a couple of members.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

I checked out the video and it looks like a great product for me (1 man job and idiot proof). Also has the added benefit of not worrying about over extending the Master Cylinder and corroding any seals when compared to the old school "pumping the brakes" method - especially for those of us who have deferred fluid changes longer than they should...

Anyway - any more details on folks who have used them? Do you like it? Any tips? Also is 107 the correct model? http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/0107-FordImport-Three-Prong-Bleeder-_p_117.html

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I used one about 6 months ago. It's great product. It was a friend of mine and forum member (1NOnlyX), we were working on his truck. The ONLY issue we had was that in our haste to try it out, we did not triple check that the cap was securely on the brake fluid reservoir....when we applied pressure to the system, the cap popped off and I literally took a rather disturbing shower in brake fluid....not cool at all. I'm pretty sure it was this same system. Other than our mistake though, really good system.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used one about 6 months ago. It's great product. It was a friend of mine and forum member (1NOnlyX), we were working on his truck. The ONLY issue we had was that in our haste to try it out, we did not triple check that the cap was securely on the brake fluid reservoir....when we applied pressure to the system, the cap popped off and I literally took a rather disturbing shower in brake fluid....not cool at all. I'm pretty sure it was this same system. Other than our mistake though, really good system.
Thanks! Good to see that 1NOnlyX is still alive. His rig is my fav. Haven't seen him on here in awhile (I saw he is taking a brake.)

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought one back when I had a WRX. It is an amazing product for doing 1-man brake bleeding. I picked up the universal kit http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/0101-Round-Universal-Bleeder-_p_132.html and it has worked on the '05 WRX, an '84 Cressida, and my '06 X perfectly.

Biggest tip I can provide is to ensure you coat the rubber gasket/seal with fluid on both sides to prevent air leaking...I didn't do this the first time...the reservoir slowly filled up as I pumped up the pressure in the tank, then leaked all over the place. Other than that, it's amazingly simple.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought one back when I had a WRX. It is an amazing product for doing 1-man brake bleeding. I picked up the universal kit http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/0101-Round-Universal-Bleeder-_p_132.html and it has worked on the '05 WRX, an '84 Cressida, and my '06 X perfectly.

Biggest tip I can provide is to ensure you coat the rubber gasket/seal with fluid on both sides to prevent air leaking...I didn't do this the first time...the reservoir slowly filled up as I pumped up the pressure in the tank, then leaked all over the place. Other than that, it's amazingly simple.
Awesome - appreciate the response. I decided to go the DIY route. So we'll see how that goes. I picked up all the parts at Lowes over the weekend (less than $20), but I'm waiting on a factory brake reservoir cap ($12).

All in, should be around $30.

·
Registered
319 Posts
klundquist - does the diy route give you anything other than saving a couple bucks? i think you can find these things on sale for around $40-$50 depending on the unit.

-SM-

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
klundquist - does the diy route give you anything other than saving a couple bucks? i think you can find these things on sale for around $40-$50 depending on the unit.

-SM-
Hmm, other than the satisfaction of making your own and a few bucks saved not really! (I like to tinker anyway.) But I do think my DIY one will have a few extra features...

I can't speak to the motive bleeder specifically on comparison since I don't have one, but I'm building into mine a pressure release valve, an on/off switch, I'm using a factory reservoir cap (for a perfect seal) and creating a small setup for catching the brake fluid at the bleeder.

Oh, and I haven't been able to find the Motive product less than $62 (shipped). Though I'm looking at model 0107 and not the universal.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I started out looking at the Motive Power Bleeder and decided to make my own following the above links I added to this thread.

Total Cost: ~$35

Shopping List:
1 - $3 hose attachment pack at home depot (included 1/4'' coupler and 1/4'' to 1/4'' Barb adapter + 3 hose clamps)
1 - $2 - Watts A-778 3/8" MIP x 1/4" FIP Pipe Bushing
1 - $10 Home Depot HDX sprayer (includes pressure release): http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-1-ga...i_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UmE0IdJQG5I
1 - $2.50 - 10' section of Watts 3/8" vinyl clear tubing
1 - $12 - Nissan Factory Brake Reservoir Cap
1 - $6 - Low Pressure Gauge
1 - JB Weld (Had some already)

Took about 30 minutes to put together, so not so bad. Will be fully testing this weekend when I do my brakes. But with the factory cap it makes a very tight seal. Tested it to 20psi, which should be more than enough, likely it can do much higher.

It was a fun little side project that saved me some coin. If anyone is interested I could write up more about it and add pics.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I tried out my home made power flusher and my feelings are mixed about it.

It worked ok, but the seal made with the replacement nissan cap wasn't as tight as it should have been, this made for a small leak where the cap meets the reservoir. I also think I was putting too much pressure down initially (like close to 20psi) once I put the system down to 8psi, it bleed about the same, and leaked much less at the cap.

So though this was a 1 man job, it had to be a rushed 1 man job. With me running to the cap, wrapping a towel around it, then running to the tire to bleed, then going back and releasing the air pressure on my DIY bleeder so it would stop leaking at the cap. Then repeat for 3 more tires.

I think this would be a great system if I could figure out a way to make a very tight seal at the cap. Everywhere else was a perfect seal.

So while it was good for fully flushing the lines, it was a bit of a mess to use and in my haste I introduced air into the lines. So I needed a buddy anyway to use the traditional brake pedal method and pump the air out.

I did see that Motive will sell you just the adapter, but for $27 its not worth it and I'm not sure if theirs would be any better than the factory cap.

In hindsight I should have just bought one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts