Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 and a bit years ago I was driving a 2010 Mitsubishi Evo X 5sp.

evo7-1 by ThePieCo, on Flickr

Had been having a blast with it, other than the 4800km oil changes and a $700 service every 17000kms. One day the diff blew up and dealing with them was a horrible experience, refused a rental at first despite quoting a month to fix, then were trying to charge me for the rental, then did work I told them not to do, then tried charging me for it, then the service manager swore at me. That vehicle lost its magic quick. At the time I just wanted something super low maintenance, more practical, and short wheelbase (had to fit in a parking stall with my motorcycle). Enter the Xterra.

Lookin' for the great escape... by ThePieCo, on Flickr

0.9% Financing, the Lava Red is an amazing color, great sound system, and they gave me what I owed on the Evo plus 2k. It's been very good thus far, conventional oil only, I have 70000 kms on it and am only on my second air filter. Only issues I've had thus far haven't been it's fault (hit by a drunk driver, a tire blowout). It's magic is starting to wear off though. Every time I open the hatch I frown at all the gouges in the interior thanks to hauling our mtn bikes around, I had tried several set ups and made do with front wheel and seat off and bungees to secure them. My rims are scuffed thanks to poor work at a tire shop. The hatch has a big panel gap and rattles like crazy! It's not a head turner. We have quads and an ATV trailer and eventually want to get a travel trailer, well be pretty limited with the payload and lack of truck box.

The wife would like me to upgrade to a diesel 3/4 so we wouldn't have to upgrade ever again. Box for the quads, plenty of payload and towing capacity for a trailer. I'm hesitant on this because my drive to work is 2kms, and while I don't mind riding my bicycle in the summer, it gets down to -40C regularly in the winter. A 3/4 Diesel wouldn't be practical for a 2km commute in -40C. But at the same time I really want a box for the practicality, a bigger back seat for when our family inevitably grows, and something a little more... Sweet looking. And in March we will be moving, at most a 20km commute. The more I think about it the wisest thing to do would probably be to keep it. Deal with its nicks and dings, it's average looks, but it's impeccable reliability and ease of use. Before a kid is here the wife wants an upgrade, which should be about a year away or less. I had a dealer offer me 2.5k more than I owe on it and the end of the year is a great time to upgrade, GM is offering 0% financing on 2014s, Ram has huge discounts (had negotiated the price on a Cummins, $16k off MSRP), there's still a few '14 EcoDiesels around although payload is very limited, and the new 3/4 Chevs look amazing. What say you Xterra nation?

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you are so dissatisfied with it and you are ready to move on, that may be the best thing to do, until two years later when you are bemoaning the costs to repair your diesel truck, frowning at the scratches on it from yet another family trip or where your mountain bike scraped the side of it, when another tire shop accidentally scuffs the wheels. Hopefully you get as good of trade in when you are ready to move on from it. And heads stop turning when you realize that everyone else has a chevy currently or your Ram's suspension turns to crap and you realize it depreciated way faster than expected.

I am just messing with you man, grass is always greener. If a truck suits your needs that is what you need, diesel is awesome, just take the necessary steps so she will turn key in the -40. I hear mixed things about Ram's, the cummins is good, but there seems to be some questions about the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha well I dunno if the grass is always greener, I'm really glad I moved on from the Evo but don't want to be opening that same can of worms by getting a diesel. Really there nothing truly wrong with the Xterra other than we seem to have outgrown it a bit and it looks like we will continue to over the next year. What kind of steps would it the to turn key at -40? Block heaters are standard equipment up here. I know a few guys with Rams, the half tons have tiny payload (1100lbs on a Laramie!), bro in laws tranny was weak in the half ton, and paint issues with one guy on a half ton and one in a 3/4.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A laramie has a lot of optional equipment. The truck has a GVWR. If you get a model with less equipment you can get up to 1800lbs of payload on the current Ram 1/2 ton.

All vehicles have their little issues. A perfect vehicle would cost.....way too much $. It is what it is. Just have to figure out where you are willing to compromise to be the most happy or find what fits your lifestyle the best.

I wouldn't imagine the evo wouldn't have taken the bikes nearly as gracefully as the X.

·
on line
504 Posts
I see you are from Alberta.....

IF you really think you have out grown the Xterra, go pick up a Diesel.... They are cheap here... BUT extremely expensive to fix....

I've owned my Xterra since 2008 and love it. I've had two full size deer in the back, towed everything from a tent trailer to a 16" lowboy with a car across Canada....

I myself have considered upgrading... but it really comes down to what you will use your vehicle for!!!!

IF you are going to tow a fifth wheel, get a diesel... or just because you make enough $$ and want one I guess. Or you can be happy with your Xterra and not have tranny issues, as well as paint issues.. or for that matter very little issue!!!!!!

Just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm not saying you should keep your Xterra, if it no longer works for you then it's time to move on, BUT.......if you are thinking of getting a diesel and this is your first, do some research before you buy. A diesel is more expensive to buy, more work and more expensive to maintain and even though a diesel will get a little better mpgs, the higher cost of fuel and the cost of DEF pretty much takes away that advanage. Unless you're towing really heavy and need the extra power a diesel provides, a gas motor might be a better option. Just my HO.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Having a truck bed is great, but it really doesn't sound like you need a 3/4 ton, let alone a diesel. Do some research on the payloads and towing capacities of today's 1/2 ton trucks. They are like the 3/4 tons used to be. Even my 08 Silverado towed and hauled amazingly well. I towed a car hauler with it many times and I had 1500 lbs in the bed and it only went down a few inches and rode great. Now it did have the hd tow pkg and Z71 pkg so I think it was as hd as you could get. The leaf springs were massive but it ride and handled great. On the hwy I let the displacement on demand do its thing and I got 20-21 mpg.

The late model truck does all of that even better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
on line
6,064 Posts
If it's not practical, get rid of it.

If the only thing that bothers you are the dings/scratches in the interior. Suck it up man, it's gonna happen when you put any kind of gear in the back of any SUV.

If you are unhappy with the average looks and want the 'sweet look' install on a front bumper, and lift it. Problem solved.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
If he is wanting to get a travel trailer though, he may want to get a diesel. Especially since he is not wanting to have to upgrade trucks again. The light campers come at a premium since they use more aluminum and not everyone has the rig to pull a heavier one. If he has a diesel, just about any camper he could want he could tow.

I agree with ATL though, that the 1500's have come a ways on capability.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It depends on how heavy it is and how often he will be pulling it. I would even consider a 3/4 ton gasser. The gas engines get way better mpg than they used to, hold up fine, have plenty of power, cheaper to purchase, less maintenance, and cheaper fuel.

Also, given his track record he probably won't be keeping it for more than five years.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Buy for the 90% of actual use, not the 10%, rare, or asperational use.

The Xterra will handle a family just fine. Especially in the infant to toddler range.

Based on your initial post, it seems more like you are bored of the Xterra - and are trying to justify getting into something different, rather than truly having a need to replace it. I have no clue what your finances are, but my personal opinion (after just becoming a dad) - save your money. It sounds like you still are making payments on the X, but why "reset" that and have two car payments longer? (when your wife gets that new car next year too.) Yes, you can get a little extra money for your X now, but you'll be paying that and much more on a new truck.

My suggestion, keep the X and get a trailer. If you are really itching for something different that looks cool, save up and buy a fun used car in cash.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
What say you Xterra nation?
You posted on the wrong forum there sir....

With all due respect...if you are commenting about the scratches on the interior of your Xterra from mountain bikes...it is time to move on.

Maybe something that goes from zero to soccer ball in under 6 seconds? ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
IMO unless its a supercar any vehicle is not really a head turner. And really who cares about if you turn heads? I would much rather fly under the radar.

For scratches due to hauling bikes, have you looked at this?
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5379&highlight=bike
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3190
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4137

A 3/4 ton with a crew cab will suck to park. I don't find trucks, especially larger trucks, to handle snow as well, since there is no weight on the drive wheels when you are empty. My old Frontier was decent, but its weight distribution is more even as well.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You can make your truck a head turner if you add a lift, put aggressive tires, add armor, add lights, add snorkel, change the muffler, and do all performance mods, it will run faster, make noise, look mean. Or don't do anything, who cares?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
^^this make it your own. There are a lot of good looking Xterras. As far as the mountain bike, like previously stated there are a lot of options to carry it. Plus IMO the Xterra is going to be a hell of a lot more reliable than the diesel.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
^^this make it your own. There are a lot of good looking Xterras. As far as the mountain bike, like previously stated there are a lot of options to carry it. Plus IMO the Xterra is going to be a hell of a lot more reliable than the diesel.
Really? It's not uncommon for diesels to easily go half a million miles with minimal intervention. On the new ones you'll need to get rid of the DPF and DEF systems though. Better mileage, reliability and performance when you do.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Really? It's not uncommon for diesels to easily go half a million miles with minimal intervention. On the new ones you'll need to get rid of the DPF and DEF systems though. Better mileage, reliability and performance when you do.
Modern diesels are terribly expensive to run and maintain. If you live somewhere with emissions testing, you are screwed.

·
on line
3,673 Posts
Modern diesels are terribly expensive to run and maintain. If you live somewhere with emissions testing, you are screwed.

Agreed. I would only purchase one if I towed a lot or it was required for my job, or maybe if this new Titan is awesome. I live in a county where they do emissions testing, so it will need to have good performance stock

1 - 20 of 46 Posts