Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it is camping season in Colorado, so away we go. Our first trip of the season was to my wife's favorite home away from home, Breckenridge. We decided to take a more scenic and less traveled route into town, over Boreas Pass. Nothing hard about the trail, as it is suitable for probably any passenger car, but a nice change of pace from the typical highway route.

At the top of Boreas Pass, an old railroad route:

A week later, we packed up the family and headed down to the Great Sand Dunes NP via Medano Pass (again, the less traveled back way in). Another easy trail, but it probably deserves its low moderate rating due to a few rocky areas and numerous stream crossings. It was a gorgeous route with perfect weather, a rarity for most camping trips in the Rockies, which usually experience afternoon thunderstorms.

Couple rocky spots on the east side of the pass:

Entering the preserve, several miles before the national park boundary:

Jeff crosses the first of many stream crossings, about 9 or 10 total:

Dennis motors through in his V-8 CJ:

Can't believe we got this shot on camera... Look closely for the photographer (Jeff's wife) getting drenched by a wave of water. His response to a back-seat mother-in-law's encouragement to do it... "I think I should just keep going." We all had a great laugh the rest of the weekend over this one:

A few more spots cruising down the trail:

We ended with a cruise into the park on the soft, sandy section of the trail, where we stopped for lunch and everybody played a little on the dunes:

Happy trails! ~Steve

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
norshor said:
Great pics!! Did your wife take them?
Yup, she's my trail photographer. :cheers: She loves her new Nikon D50 SLR. We have got to get an external harddrive for the laptop though... she takes a couple hundred pics each trip (on longer trips), and at 1-2 MB per pic, the harddrive is filling up quick!

·
on line
2,072 Posts
they are working now. Maybe it is my home computer that has the problem. They work on my office computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts