Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im sure that good ole boondox wont mind me posting this before he gets a chance to. We were supposed to meet up for drinks today, but instead he came to me with this.... MC WILL GET A KICK OUT OF THIS BECAUSE OF HIS LOVE FOR AC

He was driving around with a completely shattered shock. Those damn AC coils. You guys better watch out if you are running them with stock shocks. Lucky for him i had a couple of ranchos sitting in my garage! :drunken:

·
on line
631 Posts
whoa! did the center shaft snap?

·
on line
204 Posts
it looks like they have been blown for a while, but the shaft finally broke. WOW looks like fun, i'm glad no one was hurt. that would be scary for that to happen on the freeway.

·
on line
4,495 Posts
Those PRG spacers are looking better and better everyday...

I can deal with the coil bucket contact, atleast it won't break anything.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
This is exactly what I predicted would happen, You can't beat the shock on the top all the time and expect it not to. Spacers are a much better way to get that much lift. You'll find I said this if you look. Now, lets see if AC steps up and sends you new shocks for free! And those of you that have them, you can have catastrophic results. Better get with AC. Time for some Bilsteins! And trash them springs will ya? Hey, if the Rancho's don't have extra travel, same thing will happen. This is scary.
I'm not at all happy about being right. I think they can be dangerous! MC

Two Arabs boarded a flight out of London. One took a window seat and the
other sat next to him in the middle seat.

Just before takeoff, a Marine sat down in the aisle seat.

After takeoff, the Marine kicked his shoes off, wiggled his toes and was
settling in when the Arab in the window seat said, "I need to get up and get
a coke."

"Don't get up," said the Marine, "I'm in the aisle seat, I'll get it for
you."

As soon as he left, one of the Arabs picked up the Marines shoe and spat in
it.

When the Marine returned with the coke, the other Arab said, "That looks
good, I'd really like one, too."

Again, the Marine obligingly went to fetch it.

While he was gone the other Arab picked up the Marines other shoe and spat
in it.

When the Marine returned, they all sat back and enjoyed the flight. As the
plane was landing, the Marine slipped his feet into his shoes and knew
immediately what had happened.

"Why does it have to be this way?" he asked.

"How long must this go on?

This fighting between our nations?

This hatred? This animosity?

This spitting in shoes and pissing in cokes?"

THE MARINES WILL ALWAYS WIN

Once a Marine, always a Marine, cross a Marine and expect to be double crossed.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Peck said:
Those PRG spacers are looking better and better everyday...I can deal with the coil bucket contact, atleast it won't break anything.
Ya they do, And you can get the new UCA and even do away with the UCA contact, but do the spacers 1st, I don't have any UCA contact, some do, some don't. We can't figure why. MCampana put on Top Gun spacers and I thought he was going to be banging bigtime but all is ok. The beauty of spacers and shackle lift is cheap and easy and factory ride and replacement parts. However, now a days best budget lift is spacers, And Deaver Mini Packs with a 3 degree shim and 2" longer shocks. Unless Warren spring designs Springs that are better than the mini pack. Hope so.

If you only Off road on weekends, That's the best budget lift! And you can always add better shocks when available and a new UCA. MC

·
on line
1,407 Posts
I agree with MC. I still am using my Daystar lift and I am just as happy as the first day I put it on. I have been getting regular alignments, and all has been well. In fact the alignment place the last two times didn't have to touch anything!

The best thing to do is:
1. Get a spacer lift
2. Get Timbrens
3. Enjoy the ride!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well the good news is, Boondox predicted this, in this thread,
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1728
So anyone that has AC coils, I really suggest you get rid of them but meantime read that thread and check yours daily and stop at any sign of a strange noise up there. I went through a lot of the posts from old days, and it wasn't just me that mention the front strut being stressed with the AC coils. Hope you have the factory coils still, people. Wish they had a new aftermarket front shock to put em on.

And as a side note, I think I read a link in the above link on a PN for a rancho front shock that has 30mm extra travel, that would pretty much fix this problem if you have AC coils. But Not something I would do, that is still too much spring for me. MC

·
Read Only
656 Posts
What about the OR model w/ the Bilsteins? Would you expect to have problems w/ AC coils and these shocks? I've been planning on AC coils and shackles (unless this new custom spring package turns out to be the way to go w/ stock shackles) and wonder if the Bilsteins are the same from AC as the ones on the OR. Or if I shell out for the OME shocks a few guys have tried plus the AC coils. Ideas? Comments? Ops?

·
on line
527 Posts
I have the AC coils with stock S model shocks. I keep a good idea on my shocks to check for leaks which means it is blown. By the looks of it those shocks were blown for awhile which means it got its ass kicked and thats why it broke. But I think im still gonna pick up some new shocks from AC hope that helps. Do ranchos have lifetime warranty?

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Rancho will exclude any warranty if you have AC coils I am sure of it. Yea don't tell em they don't know, but that is only thing that will do that, a oversized spring that makes it constantly bang the top. I would not toss good money after bad. Maybe........ if the link I have above has longer shocks for the front, that would be safe, but it will never ride as nice as anything else out there, spacers, PRG, whatever. MC

·
on line
4,495 Posts
I know what you mean MC. Just the way the coils provide lift should say that a stock shock won't cut it. Not to mention a stiffer ride, I drove a truck with cranked torsion bars for 6 years...I'm tired of a stiff ride.

Another plus about spacers, they can easily be taken out if I need warranty work and the dealership gives me hell about it. With the coils I'd have to dissasemble the entire thing.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah guys i am now against the AC coils also. That is why i gave BoonDox my rancho shocks (didnt sell them to him). They were already mounted on the AC springs and were probably slightly damaged. He didnt have a problem with putting them on his truck (even after his bad incident) because he said in a couple of months he was going to do a SAS.

And as a side note.. he drove about 200+ miles (i think) with the shock blown to bits. Not too smart but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Well he got some replacements out of the deal and no other damage to his vehicle was noticed by either one of us. .... Well he had a crap load of damage but none of it was from this particular incident :blackeye: :blackeye:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Peck said:
I know what you mean MC. Just the way the coils provide lift should say that a stock shock won't cut it. Not to mention a stiffer ride, I drove a truck with cranked torsion bars for 6 years...I'm tired of a stiff ride.

Another plus about spacers, they can easily be taken out if I need warranty work and the dealership gives me hell about it. With the coils I'd have to disassemble the entire thing.
Yea my point also, warranty. IF that would ever come into play, at least in 3 hours I can give em the innocent look, Ha ha. Plus, I thought tap tap tap I am waiting for someone like Monroe or like, to come out with a Gas charged shock maybe a little stronger and coils to match.

But, so far, I have had terrific luck with what I have, and I have all the weight in the world on it. I never did want gobs of lift cause I know the drive-line can't take it. So I'll hold with the cards I have. But someone should be bringing something out soon, The factory 2nd Gen shocks are getting up on replacement times here pretty soon. MC

·
on line
2,070 Posts
Thanks agian S-e-X-Terra!!!
Ok i checked the rig before i left for vacation.
The shock blew up in bilioxi, ms.. I checked the local
dealership and the nearest place was dallas, tx.
Was told i would get the shock untill the 19th!
So i decided to drive with the blow shock and ride on
only the coil!!! Scary as F*** going 70 and the
vehicle front end bouncing like i was hitting speed bumps.
Made it to galveston, tx for a few days. Then went up
to houston. Then Sexterra saved me by having 2 spare
sets of shocks to choose from. The shock broke at the
top of the shaft. Thanx agian ED, I'll be sending the shocks
back soon as i start the SAS.
________
Strain index

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Well if he didn't say anything, and someone like crashed and burned, (I've seen more happen for less) That would be bad. Always communicate a risk. Good job doing that, now we know what they look like, when they are going to blow, (Crooked shock) Blown, and off after blown. That was pretty risky driving it like that.

How we use your complaints (http://www.autosafety.org/fileacomplaint.php)

From the infamous Ford Pinto to Firestone tires, CAS has used consumer complaints to obtain recalls and make auto and tire companies take responsibility for their defects and lemons. Consumer complaints led to passage of lemon laws in every state and stronger safety standards for every car. Without consumers telling the world about their lemons, there would no lemon laws, fewer recalls and weaker safety laws. We need you to add your complaint to our files. All information you submit, except your e-mail address, will be made part of our public complaint database maintained on this website to generate recalls and other remedies for all consumers with similar problems and so that consumers can organize around common defects and industry abuses they encounter.

Anyways, I saw my 95 Cadillac SLS when my wife was driving, and the rear was bouncing like that, and she said she felt nothing, the Rear shock was blown, The whole set of four was like $4000 for 4 shocks and other parts to install like strut bearings and bushings and end links. Yea Rockauto.com, look it up. 1995 Cadillac SLS NS engine. So, you got off cheap!

MC

1 - 20 of 80 Posts