Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would installing an AC Bodylift something that someone with a little common sense could do , or should it be done by a pro. My local 4x4 shop wants $300 to put it on.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have not installed a BL on a new X, but the 3" lift on the old X is a real PITA. I would suggest if you are not comfortable doing it yourself to let the garge do it. Or get a group of guys who are comfortable doing it together for a day and feed them beer and pizza (though depending on the group of guys, that might cost you more than the garage. :) ).

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I see that you are in WV, though not close, you are probably an hour away from some of the WPAXC members. If you are willing to drive we might be able to get soem guys together and put that BL on with ya. Though no one in the group has installed a BL on a new X either.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
From what I understand the biggest PITA with the AC BL is extending the steering shaft.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kokopop said:
From what I understand the biggest PITA with the AC BL is extending the steering shaft.
That's what I was afraid of. I'll probably just save up and pay to get it done. Thanks guys.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If it comes with the parts, not sure why that would be the hardest part. But the fact that you have to relocate the radiator and such seems like a real pain.

·
on line
429 Posts
Since the AC BL is 3" and a pain; maybe it would be possible to buy it and trim the spacers to 2" and maybe eliminate some of the hassles. I don't know if you can draw a comparison between the 2" and 3" differences in the 1st gen X?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It was as easy as cutting the pucks down I think AC would have released a 2" version. When I talked to AC about it they madeit sound like a 2" lift would be just as hard as a 3" in the new X's.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
OK since i have a 3 bl, i'll jump in here. Steering shaft was very easy
on my X. Second u don't have to drop the radiator, just remove the bottom 1/4 fan shroud. Presto saves u at least 2 hours... If u drop
u have to Dremel/ Cut the radiator brace. So the evaporator can stay in place.. :blackeye:
________
Buy Portable Vaporizers

·
on line
1,114 Posts
I agree with Syndicate here. I'm of the opinion that a BL is ONLY good for allowing for larger tires. Seeing that 33" tires fit perfectly fine under the 2nd Gen X, why bother with a BL.

Your money will be better spent on AC's coil and shackle setup. It's cheap and most excellent suspension lift.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
BoonDox said:
OK since i have a 3 bl, i'll jump in here. Steering shaft was very easy
on my X. Second u don't have to drop the radiator, just remove the bottom 1/4 fan shroud. Presto saves u at least 2 hours... If u drop
u have to Dremel/ Cut the radiator brace. So the evaporator can stay in place.. :blackeye:
Can you post some pictures of your truck with the BL on?

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Boon Dox, sounds like you might be a little rough on your vehicals. You new X looks fantastic. I've got a 3" SL now and looking to get a BL in the spring.

·
on line
2,070 Posts
The 00 X wash put to rest by a Swhan *the ice cream truck*.
Don't know if thats correct spelling, but he didn't yeild.
The jeep was put to rest by a ditch then a culvert after leaving
rockport off road park. We think the streering box went out..
Couldm't tell though due to when hitting the culvert. it ripped
the whole entire axle off and the steering too!
________
Hawaiian cooking

·
on line
2,070 Posts
Walked away from both, neither x or jeep's air bags went off.
The jeep went on its side when entering the ditch. I was going
about 55 when i went in, then on the side no brakes. Followed by the
ditch culvert stopping me in about 15 yards from when it started.
________
4500Gt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts