Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So anyone know why this is a stack of washers glued to the bottom of the body mount bolts? This was on both front sides behind front tires and driver side stack just fell of on my driveway tonight.sorry guys if this has been on here but I couldn't find anything.

[/URL[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
They help balance the car. I would get those replaced or else you'll be driving lopsided. It has something to do with moment of inertia and the gyroscopic effect while cruising at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i have no idea man, mine didn't have those. or it did and they fell off a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Actually did a little research and it seems the consensus is that it is a dampener to give a little more ride comfort from harmonics and junk like that. its also a general consensus that you wont notice it being gone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has 75,000 on it so they lasted a lot longer than I would ever think they would. I just got rid of the original tires and had Duratrac tires put on the day before,wonder if they jarred the washers loose then. Just can't believe they were in the driveway and not on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I thought they were held on by the bolts that hold the body to frame (mine are). Are you sure your bolts are tight or even there now without them? Mine have like one washer that has a smaller inner diameter at the top. As long as that one is still there, you should be good. Looks like the same inner diameter in the pics but you may want to go around and tighten them up if possible.

EDIT: Oh yeah the welds broke. That was good luck losing them in drive way. Would have done some damage to someones vehicle behind you at 70 mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts