Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Another preview, and my half-ass staging job while watching a 2-year-old. I can totally make this shot look wicked if I had 30 minutes to myself!

..and for those dumbasses out there who think the blue light comes with it...it doesn't! It's a strobe with a blue gel on it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Wow looks great. Not surprised. Good work Chris & the guys at Hefty.

It looks like it just bolts to the top of the rad skid? I'm guessing those holes had to be drilled being that I don't think there are any holes already at the top of the rad skid, unless I'm drawing a complete blank.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wow looks great. Not surprised. Good work Chris & the guys at Hefty. It looks like it just bolts to the top of the rad skid? I'm guessing those holes had to be drilled being that I don't think there are any holes already at the top of the rad skid, unless I'm drawing a complete blank.
Bolted right up! Installed in 5 minutes. The holes are already there...at least on my skid. My rad skid is 2 years old. Older versions might not have them, but I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
With all do respect to the fabricators and engineers at Hefty, this is a miss. As the person who posed this question and made the initial request, I am a bit under whelmed.
I was hoping for a "body lifted Rad Skid". I could have welded in a piece of 2" flat stock and been done with it. The idea was to increase the angle of the skid and give a little more approach angle.
Please dont take offense, I love your other products and will continue to support them, but a retrofit is rarely sufficient for the discerning customer.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
With all do respect to the fabricators and engineers at Hefty, this is a miss. As the person who posed this question and made the initial request, I am a bit under whelmed.
I was hoping for a "body lifted Rad Skid". I could have welded in a piece of 2" flat stock and been done with it. The idea was to increase the angle of the skid and give a little more approach angle.
Please dont take offense, I love your other products and will continue to support them, but a retrofit is rarely sufficient for the discerning customer.
i agree. can't there be 2 seperate skids? body lift and non-body lift. the body lifted one should come with that add on, but bent into the current skid (one solid piece) instead of a bolt on application. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to create that extra bend and just sell it as a body lift option only. no?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
i agree. can't there be 2 seperate skids? body lift and non-body lift. the body lifted one should come with that add on, but bent into the current skid (one solid piece) instead of a bolt on application. I wouldn't think it'd be hard to create that extra bend and just sell it as a body lift option only. no?
I think the bend is what we are trying to eliminate. Instead of it have a greater angle to reach the new height thus eliminating the gap and also having a greater approach angle. Marginal yes but a gain still.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
569 Posts
There just isn't enough market to justify complete redesign and a new production model. If we are wrong in that assumption we will be happy to design a complete body lift radiator skid but production numbers have to be high enough to put it into production. This is a viable solution for the majority. Many of our customers put body lifts on their vehicles after the bumpers are already purchased. From a sales standpoint we are more likely to sell the filler to the majority than an entire new skid plate.

This filler piece will increase the strength of the front of the skid plate significantly. It is bolt on using the (4) threaded holes in the face of the skid. For retrofit applications 2 holes can be drilled in the side upright sections to attach the filler to the sides as well. The next production batch of radiator skids will have these holes already in the skid plates.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
i think sliders are a good comparison here, they make a non body lift version, as well as body lift versions. its not uncommon for people to sell non body lift sliders after they body lift to install body lift versions, i dont see what would be different about this one skid plate. yes some people just run the non body lift version and its fine, but others that want better clearance and protection swap to the body lift version. if i ever body lift, i would purchase new sliders, and a new rad skid.

maybe a poll is warranted to gauge interest?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sliders are a great comparison and in fact one that we used to determine the feasibility. Of the xterra sliders we sell each year approximately 3% are body lift sliders. This is about 8 sets per year that we sell. Sliders in general outsell bumpers (with radiator skids). If we sell approximately 8 sets of BL sliders per year our figures on BL Radiator skids will likely be the same or less. Sliders are easy to modify in production as only the legs are different. The Radiator skid would be a completely different design and production process. Again, we aren't opposed if there is a market for the product.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
16 Participants
HeftyFabworks
Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums
We’re the best Nissan Xterra forums to talk about your Nissan Xterra Mods and off-road adventures. The New X is the ultimate club Xterra.
Full Forum Listing