Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to these forums. I am farily new to working on vehicals, other than the basics. I currently have a 2010 Xterra S 4x4. I just put 285/75R16s on and was planning on doing a suspension lift to give me more clearance, unfortunatly recent events have sapped my lift kit savings. I did some hunting through the forums and didn't really find the answers I was looking for so here goes.

I want to put a small 2" body lift on my xterra just to have some extra clearance till I can do the suspension lift. I am looking to find out what people might recommend as far as kits to go with on this. I have been looking into the PRG delux spacer kit. Besides this what other parts would I need to make this work? I have read that some people have to get new upper A-Arms, which is fine, going to have to get them for the suspension lift anyways. What other parts might I need and issue I may come accorss? Remember I am a nooby, so simplify for me please.

·
Registered
544 Posts
You need nothing other than a body lift kit from JerseyParts. It literally just lifts the body off the frame with delrin spacers. All the parts you talked about go into a suspension lift.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The ucas are needed if you are going to lift 3" or more in the front so you don't get bucket contact....

A 2" body lift doesn't do anything to the suspension just lifts the body off the suspension.

Go to the how to thread and read on the lifts. Also there are many threads on different lifts ...

Start with the body lift and keep reading up .

Prg is a good company as well as nisstech

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Nisstec doesn't have body lift kits from Vehicles with OE Bumpers, only aftermarket.
They also don't include the hardware for the power steering reservoir relocation, or for the factory skid plates.

I have a kit left if your interested.

Brian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just looking for 2" of extra clearance from my tires, since i put the bigger ones on, so I dont have to worry about them hitting when I have a heavier load. Not looking for any increased off road performance, will take care of that when I have the money for the suspension lift. This will only be on till next summer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I am going to look into the Jersey Parts kit. Look forward to getting into modding my Xterra and sharring some of my engineering with you all!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think the coilover spacer and rear shackle will get you what you're looking for and it's less involved than doing a body lift, especially since you're fairly new to working on stuff. Although it costs slightly more than the body lift, you might be keeping the shackles on anyway when you do the suspension lift and you can sell the coilover spacers to recoup some costs. Axle shims may be needed when you do this (to avoid vibrations) but you'll need those anyway when you eventually do the suspension lift. Total cost for PRG basic lift + shims = ~$300.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
^^this. A body lift is a pain in the butt to install and can be very time consuming. A spacer and shackle suspension lift will be easier and quicker to install, and gives you about the same amount of increase in seat height.

IMHO, BLs are only needed if you want to run 35s without doing too much trimming.

FWIW, you can run 33s on a stock X with just the "melt mod".

·
on line
8,599 Posts
I remember years ago that people talked all kinds if crap about a BL. Then when someone finally slapped 35"s on a X and the 2" BL was need, it became acceptable.
Don't bother with a BL if u don't plan on runnin 35"s.
spacer lift is very easy. I wheeled with a spacer/shackle lift for a cple years and slowly upgraded from that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ordered a body lift because of price. Due to some recent financial changes I could not afford to do much. I am saving to do a titan swap next summer in preperation for the new weight of Shrockwords bumpers. So not to worried about a BL for a few months. Wont have time for any off roading till next summer anyways sadly.

Thanks for all the advise though guys!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it's only going to be on till next summer you may want to stop thinking about a body lift and just do an add a leaf and a coil spacer.
I was thinking about that, but I it would cost me a little more than I have right now. Wanted to keep it simple and avoid touching the suspention till I have time and money to do what I really want to do. Thanks for the advice though!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
My recomedations start with the suspention lift first then BL later . I kow a few guys running Ebay front spacers and they can be had for super cheap . Just make sure to get the solid aluminum billet ones not the urethane or hard rubber . Not to mention AALs as i am running them now no issues . Priced cost $60 for the ebay spacers and $70 for the aals . Presonlay i was running front Prg spacers and side by side compare they are no different then the ebay ones i installed in my freinds X . Just to let you know since your on a tight budget .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts