Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2wd Xterra sadly but for that reason i dont want a performance lift, i just want a lift that will look good and not end up breaking. Im looking for a simple 2 inch lift that will look good and get me from A to B. I wont be doing intense trails or anything since it is just a 2wd. I am also in highschool so spending thousands on my first car isnt really easy with just working at a diner friday and saturday is my only income. If i could get any suggestions on a simple lift it would help a whole lot. Thanks.

·
TNX Veteran
545 Posts
X2 with shackles and spacers. If you REALLY want to go cheap Amazon and ebay have a lot of cheaper alternatives. I think it goes without saying these are "you get what you pay for" lifts. I initially started out with some 2 1/2" plastic puck spacers for the front and they actually worked wonderfully (creates positive camber though). Some cheap extended shackles on the leafs will net you a lift as well, but with the added tendency to flatten out your leafs. Light loads and no serious off roading should keep em holding a little longer. A cheapo add a leaf will help immensely.

Good luck! It's really simple to do on our Xs.

·
TNX Veteran
4,096 Posts
suspension lift > body lift.
That is very debatable given the parameters. Think about it:

He is 2wd. He isn't doing any offroad (gravel roads don't count). He doesn't need the clearance. It purely comes down to cosmetics really.

Pros of body lift: Cheap (Nisstec sells a 2" for ~$150), maintain stock ride characteristics, no weird side effects, will let you run 33's without any modifications or rubbing
Cons: Body lifts but not frame (some people don't like the look up gap between frame rails and body), install is not too hard but kind of annoying

Pros of suspension lift: Raises frame as well (more clearance, most people like this look better)
Cons of suspension lift: More expensive than BL (still pretty cheap though, $200-$300), Need "melt mod" to run 33's without rubbing, will change ride characteristics a bit, coilbucket contact will happen in front

That last con of the SL is the big one - suspension lift with 2" if you want to stay cheap will cause clunking in the front in some situations (e.g. big potholes, off road). With a 2" top-mount spacer (likely what you would use on the cheap) the front upper control arm hits the coilbucket when the suspension droops all the way.

If you purely want looks and bigger tires, I'd go with the BL.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Rough Country has a 2 1/2 inch $159.

That lift is gonna ride like sh*t though. I'd vote BL, a little more involved install but you will maintain your stock suspension geometry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts