Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I've had a body lift sitting in a box for a few weeks now while I try to work up the confidence to go for it.
I am reasonably mechanically inclined and none of the individual steps sound all that hard.

The challenge is time, space, and the 'what if's'.

How reasonable/unreasonable is it to do the lift in multiple stages.

AZ is not a front plate state, so I have considered dropping the front bumper cover and wheel liners, and installing the extended rad hose one weekend. Driving to work all week, extending the other items that the instructions call out.

Then on the following weekend doing the rest of the lift and reassembly.

I have plenty of space to do the work, but my driveway is a bit of an incline, which I generally counter with ramps when I do any kind of service.

Should I just 'man up' and do it all at once? Anyone in AZ who has done this before interested in lending a hand in exchange for beer/gas?

Thanks!

·
TNX Veteran
4,030 Posts
All at once. I did a 1" BL with a friend in about 2.5 hours. Granted, that didn't involve relocating any hoses/lines, but it is still not bad. If you know what you are doing, I can't see it taking more than 4. If you don't know, no longer than 6. Definitely see if you can snag an extra hand though.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I did it over a weekend, about 8 hours. The longest time was drilling the holes for the rear bumper 2 - 3 hours! That metal is super tough. I only replaced the top radiator hose. I didn't drain the radiator. All I did was disconnect the top hose from the radiator, plug the radiator with a rag, bend the hose up in the air still connected to the engine and stuff a rag in it as well. I lost less than a red solo cup of fluid. When finished I topped it off with some distilled water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And... Done, just need to check in on the body bolt torque a few more times after driving around. Don't mind the incline, every driveway in my area is sloped aggressively.
Front bumper cover will have to stay off for a few days until some replacement clips arrive, looks like there was some undisclosed front end damage I would have never noticed if I hadn't taken the front bumper off.

Only thing I'm really worried about, as the Nisstec kit was rather vague on the PS reservoir so I kinda improvised, but it leaves one of the lines somewhat close to the radiator hose.
That and i did nothing with ABS lines, moving them seemed to make things tighter.

Before:

After:

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
The best thing to do for the power steering is to extend the PS hoses to the reservoir. Not sure why none of the kits do that. Much better than modifying that bracket imo.

Edit: By extend, I mean replace them with longer ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not a bad plan at all, but would probably make the kit cost a bunch more, which isnt a bad thing. I know I wasn't in love with sawing the thing in half.
Where did you get the bumper relocation bracket at? I’m having a shop do mine and they say I need bumper brackets, radiator brackets, and a steering shaft spacer

·
Registered
11 Posts
4x4parts sells the brackets. It took me about 20 minutes to fab a set.

I removed the lower fan shroud and let the radiator come up. That said I do not tow or live in a hot environment.

There is enough length in the steering shift to allow a 2 inch body lift. Don't let them forget to adjust the rag joint. I totally missed that when I did mine. My steering was binding pretty bad until i figured that out. 4x4parts sells the extension as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
4x4parts sells the brackets. It took me about 20 minutes to fab a set.

I removed the lower fan shroud and let the radiator come up. That said I do not tow or live in a hot environment.

There is enough length in the steering shift to allow a 2 inch body lift. Don't let them forget to adjust the rag joint. I totally missed that when I did mine. My steering was binding pretty bad until i figured that out. 4x4parts sells the extension as well.
Thank you very much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts