Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been thinking of getting my radiator flushed, and have been reading some threads mentioning long life 100k mile blue coolant.

I called my local nissan dealership and asked about it. The guy said the newer vehicles are coming with it, but if I've got green coolant (which I do) then they will only replace it with green, and to stick with that.

Mind you, I last flushed it about 1.5 years ago with this stuff from Amsoil that says it's good for 250k, so maybe I don't need a flush at all:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/?code=ANT1G-EA

Thoughts? I'd rather pay an extra few bucks and go for the long life stuff, but not if it's gonna mess something up.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
So I've been thinking of getting my radiator flushed, and have been reading some threads mentioning long life 100k mile blue coolant.

I called my local nissan dealership and asked about it. The guy said the newer vehicles are coming with it, but if I've got green coolant (which I do) then they will only replace it with green, and to stick with that.

Mind you, I last flushed it about 1.5 years ago with this stuff from Amsoil that says it's good for 250k, so maybe I don't need a flush at all:
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/?code=ANT1G-EA

Thoughts? I'd rather pay an extra few bucks and go for the long life stuff, but not if it's gonna mess something up.
Hey Canuck -
Research this, but if I recall correctly Nissan was phasing out the older coolant in favor of the new.

Even some guys on here were reporting new tags on thier radiator reserve tanks displaying that they now use the "Blue" stuff instead of the older "Green" coolant.

I'm pretty sure Blue can be mixed with Green (but not vice versa).

So the short answer is, yes they should be able to shift you to the long lasting coolant.

·
on line
951 Posts
If the blue stuff is anything like that pink sh*t that gm uses make sure the flush is thorough. Mixing green and pink makes tar which then clogs your heater core and radiator. I found this out after a body shop mixed the two.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Couple years ago I asked my Nissan dealer about a coolant flush. Their reply was, "We use whatever the parts store delivers and if distilled water comes out of the tap then that's what we use."

If you want it done to the book, do it yourself. Dealers aren't any different than any other shop in the end... At least the ones around me aren't.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Couple years ago I asked my Nissan dealer about a coolant flush. Their reply was, "We use whatever the parts store delivers and if distilled water comes out of the tap then that's what we use."

If you want it done to the book, do it yourself. Dealers aren't any different than any other shop in the end... At least the ones around me aren't.
You dont go to wallingord Nissan do you? They aren't very good.

I drive a bit to Middletown they have done well by me.

·
on line
1,416 Posts
TSB NTB09-040a_NEW BLUE NISSAN LONG LIFE ANTIFREEZE addresses the two coolants. They can be mixed but you won't have the extended life life of blue over green.

Jeff

·
Registered
698 Posts
You dont go to wallingord Nissan do you? They aren't very good.

I drive a bit to Middletown they have done well by me.
Nope, I used to go to Bennett Nissan. They had 2/3 strikes against them in that they wouldn't deal AT ALL when I first went looking and their parts department is dull as a spoon. Their service department used to be OK, but then that went South.

I do all my own work now except for stuff that is either a huge bitch... Or I just don't feel like doing myself.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just did coolant. I went to the dealer and bought two gallons of Nissan green (which is what they said was correct for my 2010). Mixed with distilled water 50/50.

Then I turned the heat control to hot, unscrewed the drain at the bottom of the radiator, and opened the cap. Blue! As I had already mixed up the green stuff, I finished the draining, flushed with distilled water, drained again, refilled with 50/50, ran until hot, drained radiator and refilled it and overflow again with 50/50 mix. Ran it with heat on for a while, drove it, and then parked it uphill on an incline. Topped it off, ran it, and no problem with heat or gurgling.

I don't know what to think about the Blue v. Green issue. I guess they ran both in 2010, but given the price and that I had pre-mixed the Green, I wasn't going to throw it away. Maybe I'll do blue at 120k.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
About to change mine . Sticking with green since its already in there. I have 112k on the truck now and the coolant still looks good.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Factory TSB says it is ok to mix Nissan Blue with Nissan Green, but longevity is shortened to that of the green. It is still a non-silicate Nissan coolant, so it is fine and I will just change it sooner and will likely switch back to blue then. It came out clear blue and clean at 66k, that is for sure.

·
TNX Veteran
3,993 Posts
Wish I would have known it had the blue in there... should have done more research. I'm at my 60k. The blue that came out looks great. Almost no dark discoloration at all, and I have wheeled it pretty frequently since I got it 7 months ago.

I just asked for a thing of coolant at the Nissan dealer without much thought and they gave me green. Already drained the blue, and the green is right here, so I guess I'll fill her up and go blue next time...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wish I would have known it had the blue in there... should have done more research. I'm at my 60k. The blue that came out looks great. Almost no dark discoloration at all, and I have wheeled it pretty frequently since I got it 7 months ago.

I just asked for a thing of coolant at the Nissan dealer without much thought and they gave me green. Already drained the blue, and the green is right here, so I guess I'll fill her up and go blue next time...
To follow up, I did the same thing when I switched from Nissan blue to Nissan green at 66k. It was what I had been given by dealer, and it was what I had on hand during the flush. I just switched back to blue at 140k. The Nissan green was as clean and clear at 140k as the original Nissan blue was when it came out at 66k. I did have a heater pipe leak between flushes, so replaced some of the coolant as I went through that issue, but used Nissan coolant for that as well. Factory TSB says OK to mix Nissan blue and Nissan green (with the longetivity of green as a result), so I guess that it all worked out. I am back to the Nissan long life blue stuff. I will let you know how it looks at 240k miles.

·
on line
239 Posts
I have been using Zerex Asian vehicle formula for at least five or more years in my 2006 X. My truck originally had green but when I swapped the radiator, I switched over. Recently Zerex released a blue version of the Asian vehicle formula, which is targeted towards Nissan. I have no plans to switch to the blue, the "pink-ish" Zerex works great and it is line with the OEM Toyota fluid.

Zack

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
The blue provides more HP.
You can double this extra HP by placing a Zerex sticker on your truck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The blue provides more HP.
You can double this extra HP by placing a Zerex sticker on your truck.
Ha! A boy can dream. For the price, it ought to. I have never cared much about coolant, generally sticking with the color that vehicle came with, and I am using prestone in everything else that I own.
With the SMOD, and questions about what the cause was for the fluid crossover/trans cooler failure, I stuck with the factory stuff here.
Probably doesn't matter now that I am out of the extended warranty coverage, but I figure that it can't hurt (except in the wallet) either.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts