Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DId blue torch fab go out of business?
I'm looking at different differential covers for my m226, and I see shrock and arb. BLue torch fab sounded good, but I can't find it anywhere.

Are the aforementioned other two pretty much the go-to options here?
Any other good ones out there?

Also, with these high fill covers, what do you do for a drain and fill? Just suction out some of the old fluid and refill? OR take off the entire cover, re-seal and refill?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ballistic Fab has re-tooled their cover and it fits now. I have one and the fitment is good and the piece is high quality. That plus a lubelocker gasket and you're in business.

Actually, I recommend a lubelocker regardless of what diff cover you get.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ballistic Fab has re-tooled their cover and it fits now. I have one and the fitment is good and the piece is high quality. That plus a lubelocker gasket and you're in business.

Actually, I recommend a lubelocker regardless of what diff cover you get.
Nice, thanks. That one looks good, hadn't seen it before.
SO I'm assuming you have to pump out the old fluid as much as possible and refill when servicing with a new diff cover?
Or is there a drain plug, or do you take the whole thing off and refill and reseal?

·
on line
474 Posts
DId blue torch fab go out of business?
I'm looking at different differential covers for my m226, and I see shrock and arb. BLue torch fab sounded good, but I can't find it anywhere.

Are the aforementioned other two pretty much the go-to options here?
Any other good ones out there?

Also, with these high fill covers, what do you do for a drain and fill? Just suction out some of the old fluid and refill? OR take off the entire cover, re-seal and refill?
Yup, been gone. I wouldn't have recommended them. It took two tries to get a diff cover that was't warped so bad that there was a 3/8" gap. Then all the hemmin and hawwin to get another one made.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
179 Posts
You might want to watch the Banks diff cover video. It will make you rethink the sheet metal covers if you like your pinion bearings. I really like my ARB and has magnetic drain and fill.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
179 Posts
Offroad Gorilla also sells an M226 cover.
Correct but it is another fabed steel cover. The issue is the angles on those and not directing the fluid flow up and into the pinion bearings. You need that smooth dished surface like on the stock, arb and aluminum covers to direct the fluid to the correct places.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I rarely ever bash, but BTF was literally one of the worst debacles I think I've ever seen on the history of this site. Such potential yet every single cover they put out had issues, including mine. The two major issues were it not being flat and the weld seams leaking. I literally took mine off and tried 3 times to re seal it by laying a ridiculously thick bead over all of the existing welds and it still leaked as if it was seaping right through the pores of the steel itself. To top it off they had multiple chances to correct the issues and just couldn't seem to get it done.

I still actually have it on my rig and can't wait to get it off and bring it to the rifle range. I have an ARB cover that will be going on soon.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Nice, thanks. That one looks good, hadn't seen it before.
SO I'm assuming you have to pump out the old fluid as much as possible and refill when servicing with a new diff cover?
Or is there a drain plug, or do you take the whole thing off and refill and reseal?
There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential on the m226. Check yours over it might be filled with dirt or scraped up a bit which can make it hard to see

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential on the m226. Check yours over it might be filled with dirt or scraped up a bit which can make it hard to see
Oh for sure, I've done regular servicing of my stock m226 since I've had my xterra. I was asking about these after market options specifically. But after a few responses on here, I'm seeing the ARB has a drain plug and seems like the best option.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rarely ever bash, but BTF was literally one of the worst debacles I think I've ever seen on the history of this site. Such potential yet every single cover they put out had issues, including mine. The two major issues were it not being flat and the weld seams leaking. I literally took mine off and tried 3 times to re seal it by laying a ridiculously thick bead over all of the existing welds and it still leaked as if it was seaping right through the pores of the steel itself. To top it off they had multiple chances to correct the issues and just couldn't seem to get it done.

I still actually have it on my rig and can't wait to get it off and bring it to the rifle range. I have an ARB cover that will be going on soon.
Damn, that sucks. SOunds like a very shitty product. I've seen similar designs that seemed like a good idea, but the ARB seems now like the only way to go. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
179 Posts
There’s a few companies like Shrockworks that make armor for the stock cover. But for a few dollars more I just went ARB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts