Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
on line
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a friend that put his winch on a post on the positive battery terminal without thinking about the fuse on there only being 80A. (No... this wasn't me!) He used his winch and blew the fuse. Now his X won't start. How does one replace that fuse?

·
on line
4,594 Posts
I'd clean that up a bit while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey man. Thought they are right, it doesn't help you right now.

Its a dealer part to replace sadly enough. He can get him self going by tossing in a screw or something metal and small for the time being. *THIS WILL NOT PROTECT THE ENGINE/TRUCK SO USE AT OWN RISK* but it will get him home.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You really need to change both battery terminals to do it correctly. Remember, the negative connection needs to come right off the post too. Here's what mine looks like:

Where did you buy the heavy duty terminal posts? Those look awesome. Ive replaced the ****ty OEM onces twice already.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Where did you buy the heavy duty terminal posts? Those look awesome. Ive replaced the ****ty OEM onces twice already.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ass-marine/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=95969_0_0_

Autozone Lynx brand brass marine terminals. Coincidentally just bought and installed the positive yesterday. But wasn't sure how to tackle the negative since it looks like I may have to Cut the wire to remove old terminal.

But looks like Brett didn't have to? Did you? BTW Sorry if I threadjacked. :violent1:

·
on line
4,594 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
on line
2,868 Posts
On the negative connection, I simply cut away most of the factory terminal that is crimped onto the cable, then flattened it out - turned it into a ring terminal. I believe the hole was already in that flat section, it was very easy to do.

·
on line
2,362 Posts

·
on line
4,594 Posts
Factory terminals are coated copper. Clean them good and you will find that out.
I would submit that cleaning a coated material to the point that the coating is removed is beyond "good".
;)

They're still crap.

Ok, I see that there's the "Tightening" bolt that goes through the cinch loop, are you saying that I can remove that loop once I remove that bolt?
Yes. The tightening bolt holds the cinch loop to the battery post.
Then, there is one move bolt the goes up through the fuse block.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts