Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on a flat sand trail i went to turn and bam the back of the case cracked right open so i stopped right away and all the fluid poured right out. confused on y this happened and suggestions? is this under warrenty? i really hope so

·
on line
2,077 Posts
sorry to hear!

you'll have to take it to a dealership, it's gonna be a toss up if they cover it, stock tire size and suspension you might be able to get it under warranty without an issue.

·
on line
704 Posts
I don't see how the did something to the car. Tow the car to a Nissan dealership, do not drive it there. You don't have to explain to them what happened and where you were at the time of the accident. Just say, "Heard the noise, got out, saw that and towed it here."

If you have scratches and other signs of wear on the undercarriage, they may give you crap. But they should not void the warranty. In my case they said, "We see you've used the car..." or something along those lines. Just ignore those statements; it is not for Nissan to know how you use the rig. My dealer mentioned that they've seen a few front end issues so this one should not come up as a surprise.

Good luck fixing it.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
mcampana said:
I dont see warrenty covering something that YOU did. It would be like asking the dealership to cover you hitting a tree head on, and wanting them to cover the body damadge your did youself.
Ummm, Mark, have you read the failed front diff threads? This is not something "He did", but a classic case of front diff failure.

There are a few ways a front diff can go.

1. Blown half shaft / Side shaft. This usually requires the replacement of the diff and at least one half shaft.

2. Blown spider gears. This usually requires the replacement of the entire diff, but the half shafts are usually intact.

3. Total diff destruction. This is what we have here. My guess, he blew the spiders, which then bound the diff, which shot parts through the wall of the diff case. In this case, you will surely need to replace the entire diff and there is a possibility that it took one or both half shafts with it, depending on if the carrier stayed in one piece.

As long as you did not crack the diff on something, or have a lot of under body damage, you will most likely be able to get it covered.

·
on line
122 Posts
You know, I've only had my X a few months and now I'm scared s**tless!

What kind of crap is this that diffs are blowing out left and right and dealerships can decide if you have to reach into your own pocket and divvy up your own cash for an obvious weakness in design!? This is outrageous, contact these folks everyone who has had an issue...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

·
on line
735 Posts
I interpreted it as the case cracking from the internal grindage. Your x is so new still..if you still have the stock tires, nissan probably won't even have an argument to not replace it for free.

·
on line
230 Posts
The breakage was a result of the one of the worst diffs ever to disgrace a 4x4, bottom line. Now, the final cause of the failure was turning in 4x4 which loads the diff and CVs fairly hard. In my 1990 Montero I blow about 1 CV every 2 years, and ALWAYS when turning in 4x4.....

Heres the problem, my old Montero has 35" tires and extreme gearing(less power obviously though) and I could not possibly ever blow it in loose sand. Sand is as forgiving for binding as anything. I blow them on extreme terrain, and the diff is NEVER damaged. Even running thin 5:29 R&P.

They will likely warranty it, but let us know if they dont. I have had to sue for my rear diff.

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im running stock tires and lift. the dealer here wont cover it they said no way and diddnt even want to do the repair they started telling me that they wouldnt cover it cause the car is abused because of things such as ( and they listed this) the off road bumper...which we all know as a shrock bumper. so im towin it home cause my dealer there will most likely cover it. Im still convinced that it spit a gear. cause i was on sand no rocks to hit it on

·
on line
652 Posts
I have to go with Vman
don't tell em shit Give them the old I was driving to church you see and next thing you know

That sucks for a 07 to go like that I sure am glad I kicked the dealers ass and got the Nissan 6/100000 bmper to bumper gold super duper cover it all warranty

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nah i hadn't changed the fluids but i also bought the 7 year or 70000 mile warrantee. the dealer at home will cover it most likely cause the lady told me trails to go to last time i was there

·
on line
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well it will get filled now haha oh well

·
on line
704 Posts
Hi,

Find another dealer. After talking to the manager at my dealership he explicitly stated that you can put as much freaking armor as you want. The lift is a red sign for them because they have to get money from Nissan and if corporate reviews the fix and then finds something, like a 5" lift, they may have questions and give the dealership a bad reputation. See, dealerships live at mercy of the corporate office. Kick backs, special models, etc. is something that you have to earn as a dealer and they don't want to piss Nissan Inc. off. That's why they really value the surveys that you get in the mail. For them to get "excellent" on the survey means that the dealership is going to be treated well. If they have beef with the manufacturer, they run a risk of getting crappy deals on the cars that they get. There is a post on www.landroversonly.com about a guy being kicked out of a dealership for give bad grades on the survey. Of course, this has nothing to do with this case and I am simply trying to state what I have found out on this subject. If the service manager does not feel like defending you and dealing with this, he can say "no" because it is his say for now.

I don't have a scanner, but I am going to scan my work order and post it here. Even if they do not think that it is going to be covered, they have no reason for not asking you to authorize an inspection. In my case the manager called me and asked for an authorization. I had to agree to pay for 2 hours of labor in case if the damage was not going to be covered by the warranty. The purpose of the inspection was to take the car apart and see what had happened. On my statement it says that they had to do this because the car showed signs of abuse (bent stock skids). Had I decided to go elsewhere, I would have paid $230 to the dealer anyway.

Good mechanics can figure things out. Telling the dealer that you were going up a small hill while in reality you were trying to pull an H2 up a 60 degree incline, is a waste of air. Just say "it broke." If you are a person who talks too much or cannot keep a poker face for 10 minutes, drop the car off at night for an early bird service and in the note state that the diff does not look right and does not work.

Sorry that it has happened to you. I have been through this crap two weeks ago and it was nerve wrecking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts