Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are blown Diffs a major problem with the xterra??

Im looking at a 06 s auto....and i dont want to have to worry about that

·
on line
230 Posts
Before the flaming starts, I will jump in. There is a string just above here on it. Do a little searching and avoid the flame suit. But yes, the front is un-usable with brittle housings, delicate spiders and cross pins. The entire front end will need replaced eventually for real wheeling. The rear will be ok if its an auto, as it is not the defective D44 design.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
you didnt mention if you were in the market for a 4x4 timallen. all front diff problems have come from people using 4wd. now for everyone that has broken theirs, there are about 10-20 out there that haven't so take it for what its worth. lloyd is in the middle of a legal battle with nissan to fix his front diff. we are all pulling for him here.

if you dont plan to get a 4x4, then frankly i wouldnt lose any sleep. but even if you do get a 4x4, there are guys in here running 33's and 35's who have not broken theirs yet and there are guys running 265's that have so again, take it for what its worth.

btw, welcome aboard!

·
on line
2,248 Posts
lloyd Swartz said:
Before the flaming starts, I will jump in. There is a string just above here on it. Do a little searching and avoid the flame suit. But yes, the front is un-usable with brittle housings, delicate spiders and cross pins. The entire front end will need replaced eventually for real wheeling. The rear will be ok if its an auto, as it is not the defective D44 design.
As Killjoy already indicated, Lloyd is in the middle of a legal battle w/ Nissan and (deservedly so) has a dim view of Nissan's engineering right now.

The D44 in the S model that you have considered purchasing is not "defective in design." The e-locker (which Lloyd and every other Off-Road owner has) seems to have some problems. We haven't had a single manual X, S, or SE owner on this board blow their rear axle yet...

·
on line
13,467 Posts
Hell, there is a dude, running 35's, a super charger, a 6 inch lift and all kinds of extra weight on his Xterra and he wheels it! He hasnt busted anyting yet!

Alot of it has to do with how you drive your truck offroad i think. But im sure there is still something wrong with them, or at least they may be a little weak. But.....................it has really depended on the driver too in my opinion.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you plan to wheel, it's something you have to keep in the back of your mind. If you do not wheel, I wouldn't worry about it.

I have been through a front and rear diff.

·
on line
807 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
you didnt mention if you were in the market for a 4x4 timallen. all front diff problems have come from people using 4wd........

if you dont plan to get a 4x4, then frankly i wouldnt lose any sleep. but even if you do get a 4x4, there are guys in here running 33's and 35's who have not broken theirs yet and there are guys running 265's that have so again, take it for what its worth.

btw, welcome aboard!
You do realize that it is impossible for 2wd trucks to break their front diff, considering they don't even have a front diff!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts