Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out there's no compression in my cylinders. It stems from this:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124297

So now I'm weighing my options. Part out the truck? Look for a slightly used engine? What have others done? If I do replace the engine, what are the compatibility issues? I've seen postings listing the 4th VIN number. Is that how to determine compatibility?

I'm pretty happy with the truck and I've put a lot of time and effort into it that I don't want to lose but I'm looking for the easiest/ cheapest option. Any advice or previous experience is appreciated.

P.S. Don't go to Planet Nissan on centennial in Las Vegas :(

·
on line
1,656 Posts

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I knew I liked the way you think ... http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/connect-cruise-ls3.html

OP, sorry for your troubles ... that blows. It sure seems like there ought to be a better solution than you being fully on the hook for everything ... I know NixX and I (and harlan, for that matter) are way off base from your request in the description (IE: easy, cheap) ... but I can't help that my mind goes here anytime someone talks about swapping motors (PS - 50 state emissions legal!).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are more on ebay and also a ton on car-part.com. Find one in the desired condition/shape/mileage you want and with correct VIN and have a local install. You may be able to get away with spending somewhere between $2-3k with engine + shop install. You could do the install yourself and save some coin.[/QUOTE]

When you say correct VIN, is it just the fourth digit that needs to match?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Seriously though... If you are swapping engines anyway... It'll be what, maybe another $1k - $2k more for a V8?

If my engine went out I would not hesitate to upgrade.

·
on line
1,656 Posts
I was referring to what you posted about VINs. I am not sure if that matters with an engine? I know things like the BCM and ECM need to be programmed if being replaced to properly integrate with a vehicle. Maybe the 'VIN 4th Digit' convention just refers to it being from an Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder?

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Seriously though... If you are swapping engines anyway... It'll be what, maybe another $1k - $2k more for a V8?

If my engine went out I would not hesitate to upgrade.
For the 5.6L Swap? You'll need the engine, transmission, and ECU - at the very least. Ideally, it should all be sourced from the same donor vehicle. There are wiring harness modifications to make, and the driveshafts would have to be modified, too.

If you can do all this for only $1K - $2K more, then sign me up!

IMHO, the cheapest and easiest route would be to simply replace with another 4.0L (assuming the current engine cannot be fixed).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the links. I'm seeing some ebay auctions listing the newer VQ40 engines as only being compatible with 08 and newer vehicles. The same with older engines, compatible from 05-08. Is there something that changed in 2008?

As far as the ECM. What needs to be done when a new engine is replaced? Something similar to Uprev? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AZ-Ted

What should I look for if I pull mine apart to check damage and is there anything that "typically" happens when these motor cause interference?

·
Registered
901 Posts
For the 5.6L Swap? You'll need the engine, transmission, and ECU - at the very least. Ideally, it should all be sourced from the same donor vehicle. There are wiring harness modifications to make, and the driveshafts would have to be modified, too.

If you can do all this for only $1K - $2K more, then sign me up!

IMHO, the cheapest and easiest route would be to simply replace with another 4.0L (assuming the current engine cannot be fixed).
The link I posted said driveshafts can stay the same. For the tranny I guess I was thinking for my case; a stock manual transmission should bolt right on no problems. It was the control units that needed to match.
I honestly don't think the ECM monitors the trans. I think the TCM monitors the ECM actually. So with that being said, and I could be completely wrong on this, but it seems to me if you re wire the PNP switch and the reverse switch, which is realitively easy, provided you get the trans modified to fit the engine, you can do manual with this all day.
Even with a automatic, you might be able to recoup some costs by selling your stock unit. I'm sure somebody with SMOD would be happy for the donor.

There would definitely be more work and more money- but also a lot more awesome.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
For the 5.6 vk swap, I thought I read somewhere that the auto transmission and the transfer case were the same. The only difference is a slightly different 4lo ratio in the transfer case.

I believe you need an adapter to run a manual trans.

I also think the ECU just needs reprogrammed

Wow I said "I think" waaaay too much in this post

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
When mine blew, I got a re-manufactured engine, it cost around $3k I think. It came with a full 3 year/Unlimited Mileage Warranty. Total with install was over $6k. Mine was still drive able up to 55 mph. If I were to do it again, I would try and find a diesel swap or something like that or just flat out sell it. It's not worth it IMO.

·
on line
2,245 Posts
For the 5.6 vk swap, I thought I read somewhere that the auto transmission and the transfer case were the same. The only difference is a slightly different 4lo ratio in the transfer case.

I believe you need an adapter to run a manual trans.

I also think the ECU just needs reprogrammed

Wow I said "I think" waaaay too much in this post

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You read bad info. V6 trans will not work with a V8. Although they share the same model number they are very different. Case length, input shaft off the torque convertor, gear ratios, and the computer programming inside. V8 engine must have a V8 trans. If the V6 and V8 were more interchangeable the SMOD would be easily cured with a transmission from a V8.

Transfer case is the same. Driveshafts are the same.

·
on line
750 Posts
I also had a rebuild installed with some additional goodies like PRG motor mounts, long tube headers, new rack and pinion etc.. Paid about $9k, 3k for the engine with 3 year/100,00 mile warranty. Have put 35k miles on the rebuild and very happy with everything so far.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts