Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wired up my driving lights, and have a problem. The switch is wired to my parking lamps, and each time I turn them on, I blow the 10 amp fuse for "illumination." I did not put an inline fuse on the accessory line to the switch, should I? Did I get the switch wiring mixed up?? The first time I tried it, nothing happened. I wonder if I have ever had parking lamps. The LED on my switch lit up after I checked all of the fuses and put the DRL fuse in it (its the only one I had handy) and the lights turned on and then blew the "illum" fuse to the parking lamps again. Gonna pull the fuse to the power and go to bed. Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Switched the accessory and the positive on the switch and threw a fifteen amp in the illumination fuse, cause its the only one i have. took it for a drive, and when I got home the passenger's side marker lamp and my passengers side new driving light are out. Sun is coming up, gotta go to sleep now.

EDIT THE EDIT:
I'm a bigger idiot than I thought. I had forgotten to put the marker bulb back in the housing after I checked the tap. And when I put the grill back on, the harnesses stretched and pulled the passenger side driving light harness off. Took it for a spin into the woods in my back yard after I adjusted the aim of the lights. They are bright.
Does what I did with switching the pos and the acc on the switch make sense? It works now, think I'm ok??
Forget sleeping, gonna go wheeling after I get the nail out of my passenger rear tire fixed. That's right, I'm having a great day!

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Not sure what amp draw your lights are, but typically a driving lamp would be way too much for that circuit without a relay that draws the power right from the battery. A tap into the parking lamps should only be done as a trip for a relay. You keep messing around and you'll fry something. Look in the how to's for more info on how to properly wire this up. Lights, power to the roof will explain more for one. MC

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MC, Thanks for the cautionary words, I am running a 20 amp relay and 2 55 watt lights. Without that relay, I know stuff would melt. I'm a wiring newb, and wonder if the fact that I switched the #86 the hot lead on my switch would have burnt out the fuse in for my parking lamp. I follow your advice like its gospel. 'Cause it is. Sir.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts