Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 532 Posts

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Intro Comments: Sup dudes...figured I would update this since now I've done a TON of stuff to this truck haha. First off I'd like to say I had no intention of modding this thing, but that surely changed after my first wheeling trip as well as seeing tons of awesome rigs on here and in person. However, the mod bug bit me hard and I don't regret anything!!

I've taken my rig on a number of wheeling trips over the last year...one in massachusettes, two to rausch creek, and two at my local wheelin spot in new windsor NY. This thing does awesome and I have not got stuck once so far! (except doing stupid stuff near my house lol had to get pulled out twice) I feel so confident in this truck that I'm not worried about going anywhere!

Now, my goal with this thing is just to build a badass expedition style rig to get me where I need to go. It is my daily driver, but I also want the ability to air down and head off the beaten path whenever I want. I use my rig to haul my mountain bike, my kayak, and all of my camping gear. She gets the job done beautifully each time. Hopefully next year I will have a boat, so she will get the duty of boat hauler haha...I'll just add that to the list.

As for modifications right now I am pretty close to being done. The major thing that I need is a full set of skids to protect the undercarraige. That is the one thing that makes me nervous when I go wheelin, although I am usually very careful. After that comes a winch and upgrading to the HD front springs instead of the MD ones. Once that stuff is done the only things I will be doing are smaller things like on board air, and maybe some more recovery type stuff, and possibly building an interior shelf to go in the back. Maybe in a few years once my current suspension becomes worn out, I'll do the titan swap, but for now I don't do enough wheeling to justify that. I like the way it is currently and I am very pleased with it. I will continue to maintain and drive this beast every day until she dies.

Username: Bliss_X

Make: Nissan
Year: 2007
Model: Xterra
Trim: S
Color: Lightning Silver

MODS

Suspension:

- Radflo 2.5" extended travel coilovers with 600lb eibach springs
- SPC upper control arms
- PRG adjustable rear shackles
- Alcan Custom Leaf Packs (3" lift, +300lbs)
- PRG brake line relocation bracket
- PRG u-bolt flip kit
- Bilstein 5125 2-4" rear shocks
- Moog cam bolts
- 285/75/16 BFG A/T KO tires
- Level 8 MK6 wheels 16x8 0 offset in matte gunmetal
- Removed front and rear sway bar

Armor:

- Shrockworks front bumper (powdercoated grey)
- Shrockworks front rad skid
- Shrockworks sliders (powdercoated black w/ dual supports)
- Shrockworks rear bumper with tire carrier (powdercoated grey)
- Shrockworks rear diff cover
- Hefty engine, transmission, t-case, & gas tank skid

Lighting:

- 22" LED light bar
- PIAA 510 4" fog lights mounted to bumper with custom brackets, also hooked up to OTRATTW switch
- KC 55w reverse lights mounted to roof rack
- Silvania Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs

Engine:

- Volant intake
- Bullydog tuner (93 octane tune with WOT restriction off)
- Dynomax cat-back exhaust
- PRG engine mounts
- Intake manifold spacer

Transmission/Drivetrain:

- Radiator bypass
- B&M trans cooler
- Transmission fan hooked up to OTRATTW switch
- Rear diff breather mod
- Pro-4x front diff with LOKKA locker (3.36 gears)
- M226 rear diff with e-locker (3.36 gears)

Interior:

- Alpine head unit (with aux input)
- Infinity Reference speakers
- Rockford Fosgate 400 watt amp
- Midland Cb radio with weather scanner
- Onboard tool kit
- Recovery gear
- Foldable coleman shovel
- Upgraded rear hatch struts (175#)
- Custom interior bike mount (built by me)

Exterior:

- Removed OEM mud flaps
- OEM offroad side moldings
- OEM window deflectors
- 4' Firestick antenna
- Custom "dephep style" roof rack (built by me)
- Shackes on front & rear bumper
- Melt mod
- Trimmed front fenders
- Bottle opener bolted to rear bumper
- Lots of stickers!!! (extra horsepowerz yo)
- Gobi Ladder
- JK hood vent
- Black housing headlights

PHOTOS

Ok, heres some pics:

The night I picked her up:

After her first bath:

After her first snow-storm:

My sweet bike-mount:

And heres how she looks today:

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Great lookin ride man! Take those mud flaps off. You'd be surprised at how that makes the truck look taller. And they will prolly get ripped off wheeling anyways... As for lifts, id go spacer, and add a leaf if ur not gonna do a bunch of offroading. If ur serious about it, go with coilovers and an add a leaf or full leaf pack replacement if ur inclined.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my OTRATTW fog light switch in the mail today!! Just waiting on my fog light kit so I can install it...

Also, took off my mud flaps too...it definitely makes the truck look better. Only thing is now, theres an outline on the paint from where the flaps were...will a clay bar get rid of that?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

Here she is after the foglight install! What a pain in the butt that was...but finally, they work!

I also moved the VDC button over one space, and hooked up the OTRATTW blue led switch. Looks badass!

·
TNX Administrator
20,254 Posts
:headbang: Nice start to a mighty fine Xterra Page, Bliss_X.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a little update....

I took the X into the dealership today to get my new transmission and radiator installed. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow or friday. I didnt mention anything to them, but hopefully they will turn off the airbag light thats blinking on the dash lol. They also gave me an absolutely UGLY nissan cube as a loaner car. It is probably the most ugly/uncomfortable car ive ever driven.

Oh also, I'll be doing the radiator bypass this weekend, as well as installing my external trans cooler. =)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got my truck back yesterday...I may do the bypass and additional trans cooler mod today. Question though, how the heck do you top off the trans fluid through the dipstick? It seems like an awfully small hole...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just finished with the radiator bypass and external trans cooler. So far so good...I didn't add any fluid because after i ran it i checked the dipstick and the level didnt seem to change. Its not slipping or anything, so i guess we will see as i drive it the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now with 33's!!!!!

So, I bit the bullet and bought a brand new set of BFG A/T KO's yesterday...in 285/75/16! 33 inches baby!!!

The guys at the tire shop must've asked me a half a dozen times if I was sure I wanted the tires in this size lol. I assured them that they would fit each time, and low and behold, they did! I also performed the melt mod before I brought the truck into the shop, as well as removed my rear sway bar for this weekend's new england meet & greet. Anyways, heres a couple pics!

In the shop:

Finally at home:

I have to say, the truck rides MUCH more solid and is planted to the road now. I didn't realize how much the 33's were going to kill accelleration and pedal response, but whatever, its worth it right? Anyways, enjoy guys!

·
on line
89 Posts
Haha I remember going through the same thing at the tire shop. Ready to start lifting it yet? Looks much better without the step rails.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My plan is to just upgrade stuff as they need to be replaced. My front tires were shot, and I'm going wheeling on saturday, so thats what made me jump the gun and get these bad boys. I plan on getting the nisstec 2.5 lift kit (coil spacers & AAL) as well as bilstein HD shocks all the way around and extended rear brake lines. That is definitely going to be my next upgrade. I'm also considering fabbing up my own sliders, but we'll see about that...

·
on line
89 Posts
My plan is to just upgrade stuff as they need to be replaced. My front tires were shot, and I'm going wheeling on saturday, so thats what made me jump the gun and get these bad boys. I plan on getting the nisstec 2.5 lift kit (coil spacers & AAL) as well as bilstein HD shocks all the way around and extended rear brake lines. That is definitely going to be my next upgrade. I'm also considering fabbing up my own sliders, but we'll see about that...
That's a smart plan. Pull the rear brake lines out of their clips on the axle and you should be good for a couple inches. Same thing with the ABS sensor Lines.

1 - 20 of 532 Posts