Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In 2018 I bought 5 new General Grabber AT2's. I used the 5th as a spare, on the stock spare rim. I just blew a tire beyond repair. After 35k miles the other 3 tires are now half worn at 9/32. I can't just put the spare on because it's still new tread depth at 16/32. I can't find a matching used Grabber AT2, or any AT2 for that matter, anywhere. If I had bought a 5th rim and done a 5 tire rotation it would match and I wouldn't be in this situation...

So, now I'm faced with a dilemma. General discontinued the AT2. The new ATX is similar, but not exactly the same. Higher load rating (E vs D) and different tread pattern. Here are my options, from cheapest to most expensive:

1. Buy 1 used 285/75R-16 tire from a different brand, but with a similar diameter and tread depth. Put it on the front so it doesn't cause drivetrain issues in 2WD, only potentially in 4WD. Keep the AT2 as the spare.

2. Buy 1 new ATX and put it on the rear with the "new" AT2 spare, and hope that they match close enough and don't cause any issues with my drive train. Buy a used 285/75R16 for the spare

3. Same as option 2 but put the new ATX + AT2 on the front. This should eliminate any potential drive train issues in 2WD, but maybe still a problem in 4WD. Also, I don't get the traction and towing benefit of having new tires on the rear.

4. Buy 2 new ATX to put on the rear and hope it doesn't cause any issues with drive train in 4WD. Keep the AT2 as the spare. I'd be spending a lot of money to have a half-ass solution that will cause another dilemma 3 years from now when the front tires wear out.

5. Bite the bullet and buy 4 (or 5) new ATX to redo everything. I'm pumping a ton of money into a home renovation and this is really not in the cards right now.

What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
At 35k miles, I’d just get a new set of tires. 9/32” isn’t half worn, it’s more like a solid majority of the usable tread is gone IMO.

But, for budget options, try to find a used one of the same model (maybe you’ll luck out) or look into having your tire shaved down. Not sure you’ll find any place to do that local to you, but it is a thing that’s done.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1/4 inch of tire size will not have a real impact on your truck. Front, rear, doesn't matter. you can have more difference than that just by having a low tire.
That said, if you wheel 9/32 is near the useable limit. Same if you daily in the snow. If you're only on asphalt and rain, you can go to 4 or 5/32.

·
Registered
831 Posts
At 35k miles, I’d just get a new set of tires. 9/32” isn’t half worn, it’s more like a solid majority of the usable tread is gone IMO.

But, for budget options, try to find a used one of the same model (maybe you’ll luck out) or look into having your tire shaved down. Not sure you’ll find any place to do that local to you, but it is a thing that’s done.
This.

Reactions: curt86iroc

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would recommend putting the mismatched tread depth on the front tires and keep the same tread depth tire on the rear (drive tires). At least then the drive tires will be rotating at the same speed (with respect to each other) to keep the diff happy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I'm leaning towards option 1 as a temporary fix until I wanna buy a new set. I found a used BFG KO2, which is damn near the same tire as the Grabber AT2. Might slap that on front and call it a day for another year or so.

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,301 Posts
Wow. Lotta drama. Just put the spare on and drive it until you can afford a new set of tires. It won't hurt a thing. And if you're not going to do a 5 tire rotation just buy four tires and keep the best of the old set as a spare.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Lotta drama. Just put the spare on and drive it until you can afford a new set of tires. It won't hurt a thing. And if you're not going to do a 5 tire rotation just buy four tires and keep the best of the old set as a spare.
That's not what I've been told by the experts at Discount Tire hence the "drama". I was told I can't just use the spare b/c the tread depth is too different and it could hurt the drivetrain. Perhaps that's overly conservative, but I would prefer to trust them and play it safe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's not what I've been told by the experts at Discount Tire hence the "drama". I was told I can't just use the spare b/c the tread depth is too different and it could hurt the drivetrain. Perhaps that's overly conservative, but I would prefer to trust them and play it safe.
if you had a subi or another full time AWD vehicle with a center differential/clutch pack, then yes this would be an issue.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
What they said - open diffs / solid TC won't matter. The spider gears will turn just like they do when you take a corner.

However not sure if I would put them on the front or back? Both will turn the spider gears - the front diff turns all the time but its not under load. However font will pull one way I suppose.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What they said - open diffs / solid TC won't matter. The spider gears will turn just like they do when you take a corner.

However not sure if I would put them on the front or back? Both will turn the spider gears - the front diff turns all the time but its not under load. However font will pull one way I suppose.
I was told that it would be better on the front because it’s not receiving power in 2WD. I don’t understand it all but kinda makes sense? Idk any more

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Found a Firestone Destination X/T at a used tire store. Turns out it’s actually brand new, but they sold it to me installed for $70. Since it’s new, and the size/specs are very similar to my like new Grabber, I said what the heck why would I use it as the spare. So I threw it on front alongside the like new Grabber. Kinda weird having the new tires on front and old tires on back, but from what I gather, this is safer for the drivetrain. Anyways, more of a quick fix until I get all new tires. We’ll just see how long this “quick fix” stays on lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts