Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
@Brunnie that link to the M205 now has me all twitterpated. I have the Xterra all dialed in for suspension at the moment Radflo 2.0 Extened Travel coilovers plus new upper and lower control arms. And yet- a tax refund is on it's way. Insert : Maniacal grin here.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yep.... I've been reading and re-reading it several times over the past few days. Now to find the parts and then get to work. Well first have to find the funds. (No tax refund... I always pay.)

·
NewX’er 4life
2,499 Posts
You have many options, the cheapest and most beneficial is the m226 in 3.69 with the e-locker to get a bump in gearing and a locker. You will gain on-road and off-road benefits. You can probably do the swap yourself and there is no need to re-gear anything. The front diff is still a concern so either a Lokka or ARB locker (~$300+++) to mediate that. So $1100 for the axle + whatever you decide for the front, if at all.

With an m205 there is much less concern with diff failure but you now have spent $500 on the diff and have to re-gear and install the gears (more $$$) as the m205 will likely have 3.36 or 2.97 gearing. I checked ruggedrocks and there is no 3.69 gearing for the m205 either so you will have to re-gear the m226 (unless the gears weren't listed). Gears + install is expensive.

Personally to me the m205 option is best if you are Titan swapping or planning to go to 4.10 or 4.56 gearing anyway and think it is better to have the Titan style bolt in shafts.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You have many options, the cheapest and most beneficial is the m226 in 3.69 with the e-locker to get a bump in gearing and a locker. You will gain on-road and off-road benefits. You can probably do the swap yourself and there is no need to re-gear anything. The front diff is still a concern so either a Lokka or ARB locker (~$300+++) to mediate that. So $1100 for the axle + whatever you decide for the front, if at all.

With an m205 there is much less concern with diff failure but you now have spent $500 on the diff and have to re-gear and install the gears (more $$$) as the m205 will likely have 3.36 or 2.97 gearing. I checked ruggedrocks and there is no 3.69 gearing for the m205 either so you will have to re-gear the m226 (unless the gears weren't listed). Gears + install is expensive.

Personally to me the m205 option is best if you are Titan swapping or planning to go to 4.10 or 4.56 gearing anyway and think it is better to have the Titan style bolt in shafts.
I was thinking of the m226 from an automatic (3.36 gears, 05-15 P4/OR with e-locker) and the m205 with 3.36 gears from either Titan or Armada. Overall for me, as I see it, this would help off-road some, and not hurt on-road mileage all that much. Basically it would take my S and make it almost a Pro 4.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
@PhullD ... you had mentioned " I checked ruggedrocks and there is no 3.69 gearing for the M205 either so you will have to re-gear the rear M226 (unless the gears weren't listed).
And you are spot on - the closest ratio is 3.73 gears are listed there - what's bundled as front and rear gears in a package ;
Fits years 2004,2005, 2006 3.73 Front Differential Gears 3.73 Rear Differential Gears Complete 3.73 Ring
and Pinion Gear Kit with the M205 front differential and M226 Rear Differential. $ 1119.75.

But let me rewind a second... is installing an R180 @ 3.69 - locked or not - asking for trouble ? Do people grenade their R180's ?
( This could be a problem for some very few drivers that gets amplified on Xterra forums ? )
My Xterra is mostly my DD. I just really wanted that option to lock when off-road.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,499 Posts
@PhullD ... you had mentioned " I checked ruggedrocks and there is no 3.69 gearing for the M205 either so you will have to re-gear the rear M226 (unless the gears weren't listed).
And you are spot on - the closest ratio is 3.73 gears are listed there - what's bundled as front and rear gears in a package ;
Fits years 2004,2005, 2006 3.73 Front Differential Gears 3.73 Rear Differential Gears Complete 3.73 Ring
and Pinion Gear Kit with the M205 front differential and M226 Rear Differential. $ 1119.75.

But let me rewind a second... is installing an R180 @ 3.69 - locked or not - asking for trouble ? Do people grenade their R180's ?
( This could be a problem for some very few drivers that gets amplified on Xterra forums ? )
My Xterra is mostly my DD. I just really wanted that option to lock when off-road.
If my reading comprehension is ok, from option C you already have a 3.69 front diff correct? This is why I was suggesting go with an m226 from a manual Xterra that has the 3.69 gearing already to avoid any re-gearing and associated costs. You get a locker and better gearing.

If you don't already have a 3.69 R180 then obviously that logic doesn't apply.

As for the R180, the R180 diff sucks, there is no argument there. The spider gears are too weak for the weight/power of the Xterra drivetrain. The gearing does not matter. The diff explodes when the front wheels spin and then suddenly grab traction (example videos linked below of this scenario). This is common on daily drivers in the winter, not just offroaders. If you are aware of this you can certainly reduce the risk of it happening through driving habits. This is not just an Xterra thing, this is common on a lot of IFS vehicles, except the halfshafts usually break first. There are plenty of videos from Australian 4x4 and other youtubers blowing diffs in all makes from Toyota to Nissan to Jeep.

You can prevent this with a locker or a Lokka.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
@PhullD you have it correct - 3.69 front diff ( an R180 ) and then a lokka is for sale for $ 319.00. According to all the M226's out there from a Pro4-X they are in that $ 1100.00 ball park. With the phone calls I've made, none of these guys can confirm if the e-locker wiring is included, or if the ABS sensors are intact. So...kind of meh.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,499 Posts
@PhullD you have it correct - 3.69 front diff ( an R180 ) and then a lokka is for sale for $ 319.00. According to all the M226's out there from a Pro4-X they are in that $ 1100.00 ball park. With the phone calls I've made, none of these guys can confirm if the e-locker wiring is included, or if the ABS sensors are intact. So...kind of meh.
That sucks, you'd think if they wanted your business they would try a bit harder.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
My $ 18.00 air hose from Harbor Freight blew a hole in the line the very first time I tried using it. It's so hit and miss with harbor ( Horrrible ) Freight I just can't rely on any of their stuff. So - ordered this today too.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My $ 18.00 air hose from Harbor Freight blew a hole in the line the very first time I tried using it. It's so hit and miss with harbor ( Horrrible ) Freight I just can't rely on any of their stuff. So - ordered this today too.
Good choice, the ARB hose is well made in my experience.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
The Volant Cold Air Intake arrived- and the install is about 95% finished. Still have no clue as to where to put the horns now. The airbox is indeed shoe-horned in place now. The air box is a sealed model 12740. This could very well put me towards a snorkel in the future.
'Sealed' isn't really true - there's three mounting bolts that go through holes in the bottom - but it's just not a gaping hole in the bottom that the Volant 12540 airbox has.

A friend asked me right away: any performance gains? To which my butt in the drivers seat says, nope. I noticed nothing. Then again... I'm also not hooking the Xterra up to a dyno machine.

·
NewX’er 4life
2,499 Posts
The Volant Cold Air Intake arrived- and the install is about 95% finished. Still have no clue as to where to put the horns now. The airbox is indeed shoe-horned in place now. The air box is a sealed model 12740. This could very well put me towards a snorkel in the future.
'Sealed' isn't really true - there's three mounting bolts that go through holes in the bottom - but it's just not a gaping hole in the bottom that the Volant 12540 airbox has.

A friend asked me right away: any performance gains? To which my butt in the drivers seat says, nope. I noticed nothing. Then again... I'm also not hooking the Xterra up to a dyno machine.

View attachment 125139
I had a Volant but sold it. You will have to extend the wiring on the horns and mount them elsewhere. Make sure the seal for the MAF sensor is good, if it throws a code 90% of the time it is that gasket or the piping where the throttle body is. The volant + snorkel should not be relied upon for deep water crossings, and I'll tell you why. If you are in deep enough to warrant the completely air-tight (even though it really isn't) intake, you probably have bigger problems with water all in and around your fuse box in the engine bay and coming in your cab. To truly make use of it in that way you would have to waterproof everything else. The snorkel though is great for breathing in clean fresh air and there is no mud at all on my air filter anymore. The OEM wheel well intake would always suck in mud and dust when offroad.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #137 (Edited)
I heard the same thing from @AlbatrossCafe the snorkel gets the most comments/ questions. And YES - to the rest of the electrical components in the engine bay. It's spaghetti in there and not waterproof in any way. Snorkel or no - this thing isnt a submarine.

The OEM box on there was warped and had serious gaps, and removong/ replacing was a long time coming.

There's something else too about really deep water - I dont want river water even getting past my doors - because the neat freak I am doesnt even wanna think about the muddy mess in the truck I'd be cleaning out. A river that deep ( with current) would either wash my Xterra away downstream and be a cluster of a recovery situation - or destroy my Xterra. Nope and nope. Besides - the 95% of my driving is getting to work 5 days a week with my Nissan still. lol

·
TNX Veteran
3,700 Posts
"So how deep of water have you ever driven in? Has it ever been to the top of the windshield?" - People who think Snorkel == Submarine

That Volant looks like a lot of work. At least it looks good lol

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I hear you about the OEM box, I filed down the tabs to make them fit, it is for sure a defect.
I hadn't thought about filing down the tabs, especially the center one. Might be a thing to try. Hmmmm.

121 - 140 of 140 Posts