Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
TNX Veteran
3,616 Posts
Nice. I got an SWR meter for when you calibrate if you need.

Also.... great album in the background. Contains some of my favorite Pantera songs: Slaughtered, Use my Third Arm, Strength Beyond Strength

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Initial hardware install and the antenna cable routing went well. TBH... I've seen cleaner installs on this web site, but then I'm new to the CB world. Anyways - grounding the antenna mount requires only a bit of sanding down to bare metal. I dont think you need to draw blood here.
IMG_0012.jpg
59424361675__CAC743F6-229B-4AD8-8F4F-545530A32B69.JPG

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Man I used the same cb antenna mount and had a really hard time bending the piece to fit without having it contact the hatch when closed.

Were you successful? Mine still contacts slightly when closed. not bad though. and i was using less than ideal tools for the job. I really dont think the ground strap is necessary. but it sure wont hurt.

looking at it closer I see that you went the opposite direction, (rearwards) with the part that sticks out. i wonder if that would have been easier .

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yep - even after putting it in a vise - and bending it - I still have some contact w/ the hatch ! It really wasn't a good fit beforehand. Hatch would not close, and at least now it does. After getting it snug, ground correctly, and routing the antenna cable thru the grommet in the rear hatch, and snaked along the inside edge ( down the drivers side ) and under the carpet to the console box ...probably a good 2 + hours or so. The Firestick antenna itself arrives tomorrow. Only at that point do I dare turn the Uniden on and see if I can get any sort of signal. This will need some tuning still of course..so hey let's see what happens.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
IMHO... ditch the spring. Watch this video and look at how much my antenna waves all over the place while out on the trail.
Balanced Rock - Brunnie and PhulD head to Tower Arch

Once I got rid of the spring the antenna mount doesn't have as much strain on it, and the antenna doesn't beat on the side of the rig.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Man, now I see why the tennis ball..lol. The HD spring might have to go away ! Your antenna is 6' I'm guessing?
4 ft. Firestik antenna.

I don't have any video of my antenna now that the spring is gone, but I have noticed that while on the trail there is much less "tail wagging".

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
interesting, I never really thought that it whips around too much and its my understanding if you dont have the spring you could actually break the antenna.. idk though, they are flexible to a certain extent at least.

·
TNX Veteran
3,616 Posts
IMHO... ditch the spring. Watch this video and look at how much my antenna waves all over the place while out on the trail.
Balanced Rock - Brunnie and PhulD head to Tower Arch

Once I got rid of the spring the antenna mount doesn't have as much strain on it, and the antenna doesn't beat on the side of the rig.
Looks like you are using the non-HD spring? Or maybe the tennis ball makes it swing more?
Blackbird, here is my setup using the HD spring. You can see how it reacts to a tree and then more importantly, how it handles afterwards. It moves a little bit but nearly as much as Brunnie's antenna.

I worry without using a spring simply because there are so many branches in WA that will catch your antenna depending on the height. If it is much higher than your roof, I would want one. If it is <12" higher, then you are probably not gonna be hitting it very often and I think you would be safe with no spring. But I do see Brunnie's point of it putting a little extra stress on the mount.

·
TNX Veteran & LPM
7,767 Posts
Looks like you are using the non-HD spring? Or maybe the tennis ball makes it swing more?
Blackbird, here is my setup using the HD spring. You can see how it reacts to a tree and then more importantly, how it handles afterwards. It moves a little bit but nearly as much as Brunnie's antenna.

I worry without using a spring simply because there are so many branches in WA that will catch your antenna depending on the height. If it is much higher than your roof, I would want one. If it is <12" higher, then you are probably not gonna be hitting it very often and I think you would be safe with no spring. But I do see Brunnie's point of it putting a little extra stress on the mount.
I broke my first antenna because of limbs. Didn't have a spring. I do now and haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Ah - good video - and I do have an HD spring that will go on there. Yesterday I had borrowed a 5' antenna from Eric, but wasnt thrilled at how the pivot screw on the swivel mount kept letting it tilt too far back. That got on my nerves right away... changed the screw location to the bottom hole. Which I think will solve the problem.

Even better - when I got home my Amazon order 3' Firestick was waiting for me ( perfect timing?) so I ran out there and installed it this AM. As you can now tell I clear my car port just enough to get the Xterra underneath...but just barely. A SWR meter calibration will also need to happen. BTW - on the trail we all just used Eric's walkie talkies which were just as excellent. Those things are so tiny / simple/ powerful/ convienent I'm still not sold on the whole CB radio thang.

·
TNX Veteran
3,616 Posts
BTW - on the trail we all just used Eric's walkie talkies which were just as excellent. Those things are so tiny / simple/ powerful/ convienent I'm still not sold on the whole CB radio thang.
lol you are not wrong man. I have some ~20 year old Motorola walkie-talkies that my parents gave me recently. I remember using them in elementary school.... Now, they work great up to a couple miles with their tiny antenna even from INSIDE the car. CB has more range depending on antenna set-up, but for 90% of situations with 2-3 vehicles, the handhelds are usually just fine. TBH I just carry both at all times just in case since CB has been the standard for so long.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts