Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
81 - 100 of 187 Posts
Discussion starter · #81 ·
So a bit of history behind my Xterra build was- I never considered an axle swap/ re-gear to be part of my original or secondary build plan.

At least - not in the short term - it just seemed too extreme.

But I happened to score a great front R180 already set at 3.69 via @MrBoJangles_91 who - if you read his build and other threads - has blazed the path and literally done all of the identical swap out work beforehand and documented it pretty well.

And so when something this wicked cool drops into your lap - you run with it, ya know ? I would have to be nuts to turn this down.

I'm now researching rear M226 differentials that match gear ratios of course.. sort of feel drunk from too much data now.
It's kind of overwhelming.

You can get a 3.69 rear differential from any Pro-4X Xterra out there...as long as it's Tuesday... in England or Fiji and the moon is full. Wait...what ?

Attachments

Discussion starter · #82 ·
Extended length shackles arrived. No real heads up from Greg @ PRG - but I'm just stoked the order was fulfilled in pretty good time.
No idea what hole I should set the length for...maybe I'll go with the middle. This install will be in a few more weeks.

Attachments

REPRESENT ! In my daily life I don't typically wear Nike swooshes or Addidas stripes...but
I've learned a lot from this site and the cool people on here - so I'm happy to give props to www.thenewx.org on my Xterra.
Totally agree. This group has saved me a ton of work and money, but also cost me a bunch of money haha. All these great ideas and mods I just couldn’t pass up.

Extended length shackles arrived. No real heads up from Greg @ PRG - but I'm just stoked the order was fulfilled in pretty good time.
No idea what hole I should set the length for...maybe I'll go with the middle. This install will be in a few more weeks.
Adjusting isn't too bad, it's the install that can be a bit of a challenge. IME the lift yield from shackles was pretty close to the stated lift amount, of course they will sag slowly so if you can live with a slightly higher lift short term it might save you having to adjust them later on.

Discussion starter · #87 ·
Today I installed a front recovery point and shackle on the front drivers side.
On passenger side - I soaked the oem tow hook bolts with PB blaster as they - really - didn't
want to break loose. Tomorrow I can then install recovery point no 2.

I like Dezertrunneroffroad.com products- these recovery points are thick as hell. Look very solid.

Rhino wasn't too bad pricewise... I bought this D-ring shackle set off eBay for $ 22.99.

What I can tell is I will need to trim away some plastic fender - when I really use these - as the fender sits too low to allow any real hook up access.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #89 ·
Let it be known...the same holes that this hitch attach to the frame with - are the same threaded holes the rear bumper is also attached to. Three on each side. So I'll be removing the entire bumper just to put this thing on.

What I thought was going to be a 20 min install... is going to consume a Saturday morning.
Hey, there's worse things I can think of !

Attachments

Discussion starter · #92 ·
Shrockworks sliders install day !

This piece of my Xterra build was always an important step...and yesterday it finally happened.

While pretty heavy @ about 50 lbs each; the install was very simple.

If you can install the diff breather mod - trust me - you can install rock sliders...it's that easy. They're just heavy.

You attach them first only finger tight, then mark the one hole you'll need to drill on each side( I used a silver sharpie ).

Then remove the sliders - and make the hole with a step drill bit.
There's a Horrible Freight in Edmonds that I went to. $ 5.99 I think. Makes a very clean hole.

Then attach them and tighten 'em down. Easy stuff. Looks great.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.