Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

BlackbirdSR71 Build Thread

31K views 186 replies 26 participants last post by  BlackbirdSR71 
#1 · (Edited)
Intro Comments: Bought my Xterra about June 2017, within a year I started this build/mod thread.

Year: 2012
Model: Xterra
Trim: S
Color: Grey ( Night Armor )

MODS

Completed:

OME leaf springs.
5100 Bilstein rear shocks.
Mud flaps (removed).
Step rails (removed).
Differential Breather Mod; Offroad Gorilla.
Durago rotors and Cenric brake pads (front).
Wagner rotors and Raybestos brake pads (rear).
Timbren bumpstops, (rear) - Timbren JRC01.
1" Nisstec Spacer w/ extended studs.
Nisstec 2.0 Radflo extended travel coilovers @ 650# ordered 8/10/18 delivered 10/30/18 - Installed 12/2/2018.
Greaseable SPC Upper Control Arms - ordered 8/10/18 delivered 10/30/18 - Installed 12/2/2018.
Sway bar removal 12/2/2018.
Coil bucket trim 12/2/2018 then more 2/18/19.
Melt modification 2/7/19.
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 285/75/R16 ( x5) ordered 1/30/19 , installed 2/8/19.
Lower control arms w/ adjustable cam bolts 2/18/19.
New CV axle - passenger side 2/18/19.
Replaced leaking UCA boot 2/18/19.
Volant cold air intake 12740 Sport Compact Warehouse (ordered 1/30/20 installed 2/15/20).
PRG U-Bolt Flip kit w/ bash plate - ordered 2/2/19 - delivered 2/09/19 installed 5/13/21
PRG Rear shackles -red - ordered 2/2/19 - delivered 2/22/19 installed 5/13/21
R180 front assembly- geared @ 3.69 - courtesy of @MrBoJangles_91 on 2/24/19 ins 5/13/21
M226 rear axle - geared @ 3.69 - ordered 3/18/21 Duncan Mill Nissan Parts Puller - installed 5/13/21...this was crusty from NY state...needs wire wheel treatment and paint !
M226 cover plate - Ballistic Fab - ordered 3/20/21 installed 5/13/21
Bilstein rear shocks - installed 5/13/21
Rear extended stainless braided brake lines installed 5/13/21

Recovery / Armor:
ARB 30' snatch strap
2 Shackles - Rhino - front
Dezert Runner Offroad front recovery points - ordered 2/9/19, installed 3/8/19
Hitch w/ recovery shackle- delivered 3/15/19, installed 3/25/19
Shrockworks fuel tank plate - ordered 3/16/19 delivered 3/27/19 installed 3/30/19
Installed Shrockworks sliders - ordered 3/8 delivered 5/15 - installed 5/18/19
Hefty Fabworks transfer case plate aluminum ordered 1/25/2021, installed 2/20/21

Current: Ordered/ not yet installed :
ShrockWorks Engine Oil Pan Skid Plate - steel ; ordered 5/2/2021

Fluids/ typical service
Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 and filter : 1/26/19, 10/5/19, 1/15/21
Rear differential m226 drain and fill - Valvoline synthetic blend :1/28/19, 5/30/21
Iridium Spark plugs x 6 : 1/27/19
Alignment 2/20/19, 9/21/19
Brake flush 1/9/21 , 5/13/21

Future:
Bumper w/Tire Carrier
Gas Strut Hood Mod
Radiator skid plate

PHOTOS

See less See more
#4 ·
The OEM axle breather valve was stuck open ( yikes!) and was pretty filthy - see photos- but came off without too much wrenching.

The replacement breather kit from Offroad Gorilla was flawless.
Borrowing direct from other members mods - I routed the end of the 7' hose up into the passenger
side brake light, curved it upside down- and capped with the supplied fuel filter.
I didn't know how much room was behind that brake light, but it's cavernous in there.

Attachments

#8 ·
you don't need to put all of the pieces on your rig.
this was albatrosscafe's install, with to much spacer and not enough articulation.

your pieces look a little different.

Take the spacer plate(s) out in the rear .
it just kills articulation up and serves no purpose since the Timbrens are there.

Like this

NOT like this

Between those 2 spacer plates you are probably losing at least an inch.

#9 ·
Hey Chris - ok, yes I see the additional spacer in those photos. My kit does't have that. You're saying I wouldn't need it, yeah ?Here's a pic as they lie on my kitchen table. Albatross mentioned the additional washer deep down inside the bumpstop itself - should help it become snug.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited)
Install went easy. Some serious rusty bolts... but nothing snapped. PB Blaster once again saved my bacon. And is now swapped.

I dremel'd the rusty spots for 15 min, then hit it with some rustoleum clear gloss spray paint.
It'll do until I can hit this w/ some flat black paint.

It's funny to have your 11 y/o telling you to put on your safety glasses.
"Thanks, kid for looking out for your dads vision."

Attachments

#20 ·
I'm done with all the surface rust under my Xterra.
I'll just chalk it up to my OCD - but I bought one of these for my grinder today at Horrible Freight.
My job @ Fluke Electronics requires an attention to detail on our calibrators before it ships out the door.
So yeah - this fits right in with my personality.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
After several years of not buying racheting wrenches ( wratcheting renches?) ...
I realized how damned great this would be to have in my tool box.
So these showed up today. Metric 8 mm through 19 mm.

Attachments

#25 ·
Checked the Eibach spring number against what I had ordered from Nisstec- and I think it's correct : Eibach Coilover Springs 1200.250.0650S

Inner diameter of the spring is 2.50 inches, spring rate is 650 lbs.
I am assuming the 's' on the end just means it's silver powder coated.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-12002500650s

#28 ·
So the install of new suspension parts went off really smoothly today. Big shout to @AlbatrossCafe and @MrBoJangles_91 for their incredible knowledge base and help with the install. I'd still be at the garage without them...scratching my head.

While I was already scheduled for the whole day - with the Xterra up on a lift and some serious power and air tools- I went ahead and removed the rear sway bar and cut the flanges back a bit.

Attachments

#30 ·
And how it sits now... it's high enough now to make the tires look like kids toys or something. If this looks higher now in the front - than in the back -it's because it is by about 1.50"

I can still dial down the Radflo shocks...and that might just happen soon.

Attachments

#31 ·
After all this I came home and scheduled an alignment for tomorrow at a Goodyear close to my house. Does $89.99 for an alignment seem a bit $$ to anyone ? I suspect that's an average rate , but I'm curious what others pay. I hit this with a bit of black rustoleum . Last thing I need on the newly ground off coil bucket or the sway bar flange is to have some rust developing.

Attachments

#32 ·
Eric was correct when he mentions that removing the sway bar is simple and takes the removal of four bolts a quick cut of the attachment bar on each side - it's the strangest connection I've ever seen on any car - so I decided to just cut it off with a (pretty damn high RPM) 3" disc wheel.

Looking under the Xterra now...the shocks will need some protection as they are just about now the lowest 'bash point'.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.