Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here have any potential interest in road-tripping to UT and CO this summer. I am planning to take 3-4 weeks of vacation this summer and debating a road trip or trip overseas.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll hit it up if I make it to that part of CO. Looks like a nice little run. Which way did you run it - from Idaho Springs to Central City?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Colorado mountain trails don't always open on a predictable schedule due to snowpack or trail damage. This winter's snowpack is above average so far. Last winter was a big snow year as well, so you could use last summer's pass opening dates as an estimate for your planning. According to Bushducks Colorado Pass Page the passes you mention opened on the following dates last summer (note that a gate may be open at the start of the trail, but the trail could be blocked by snow before you reach the summit):

Black Bear - sometime after 8/9/19
Imogene - 7/28/19
Engineer - 7/11/19

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Colorado mountain trails don't always open on a predictable schedule due to snowpack or trail damage. This winter's snowpack is above average so far. Last winter was a big snow year as well, so you could use last summer's pass opening dates as an estimate for your planning. According to Bushducks Colorado Pass Page the passes you mention opened on the following dates last summer (note that a gate may be open at the start of the trail, but the trail could be blocked by snow before you reach the summit):

Black Bear - sometime after 8/9/19
Imogene - 7/28/19
Engineer - 7/11/19
Thanks for the link, I'll keep tabs on conditions beginning early summer. 🤙

·
Registered
97 Posts
Does anybody here have any potential interest in road-tripping to UT and CO this summer. I am planning to take 3-4 weeks of vacation this summer and debating a road trip or trip overseas.
A few buddies and I are thinking about going from Boulder to Moab through mostly forest road and mountains passes via Telluride and then Moab for a few days of mountain biking and offroading. No real dates yet, but most likely sometime in July. Dates mostly depend on snow melt on the passes around telluride.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It can be well over 100 deg in July, I know people do it, but Mountain biking in Moab in July is frankly not so smart.
Been doing it for 10 years. We usually camp way up in the LaSal mountains and ride the whole enchilada at dawn. Down at the Colorado before 10am. Cool temps at Burro pass and no people. Then spend the rest of the day hanging at swimming holes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It can be well over 100 deg in July, I know people do it, but Mountain biking in Moab in July is frankly not so smart.
But I agree, if you like to camp in town, sleep in, not in good shape and ride the easy access trails, you’ll die. Way too hot to do anything other than drink cold beers by a cool body of water. Cheers!

·
TNX Veteran
4,036 Posts
Been doing it for 10 years. We usually camp way up in the LaSal mountains and ride the whole enchilada at dawn. Down at the Colorado before 10am. Cool temps at Burro pass and no people. Then spend the rest of the day hanging at swimming holes.
Copy that, I was just picturing all the folks out on the slick rock trails, and the newish trails up by Gemini Bridges in July, and thinking, man you can't carry enough water to make that safe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Copy that, I was just picturing all the folks out on the slick rock trails, and the newish trails up by Gemini Bridges in July, and thinking, man you can't carry enough water to make that safe.
oh yeah, you would be cooked alive on riding slick rock for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BTW I just saw the second half of your title. I did a 3 week trip between UT and AZ a few summers ago. Let me know if you have any Q's about that half.
Thank you. I'll reach out sometime in mid/late spring to begin route-planning. Looking forward to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts