Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is our second X. We still have a yellow '08 that's mostly stock. I bought this from samuel313, so most of the credit goes to him! (samuel313's build thread). The kids have named it Gronk. Suspension, armor, and tranny are pretty much done so most of my work will be on maintenance and convenience/electrical upgrades.

Super Black 2005 Xterra S aka "Gronk" (italicized items were added by me)

Exterior / Armor:
  • Hefty Fab Front Bumper (Powdercoat in 2017) w/ custom grill
  • Hefty Fab Aluminum Radiator Skid (Powdercoat in 2017)
  • MaxGear (MaXTERRA) Tire Carrier Rear Bumper
  • Pro4x gas tank, transfer case, engine skids
  • InSain Fab Sliders
  • Ballistic Fab M226 diff cover
  • Removed Mud flaps
  • Custom Drop-in Roofrack (Powdercoat in 2019)
Drivetrain:
  • 3.69 R180 w/ Lokka
  • 3.69 M226 w/ e-locker
  • Rear Breather Mod
Wheels/Tires/Suspension:
  • Cooper S/T Maxx LT285/75R16
  • Bedlined wheels
  • Melt Mod
  • OME HD coilovers
  • SPC UCA's
  • Moog LCA's with anti-seize smothered cam bolts
  • Pro4x Bilstein rear shocks
  • 2" Daystar shackles
  • Deaver Add-a-leaf
  • Rear sway-bar removed
Electrical / Audio
  • OEM 7-pin trailer harness flush mounted in bumper
  • Console mounted Cobra 75 WX ST
  • Two NMO antenna mounts on roof (currently used for 2m/70cm dual band and CB antennas)
  • Blue Sea Systems 12 bank fuse block with + and - bus
  • OTRATTW switches everywhere
  • Kenwood DDX9705 7" head unit (Android wireless / Apple CarPlay)
  • Kicker 43DSC69304 and 43DSC6704 speakers
  • iOttie Magnetic phone mount with wireless charging
Lighting:
  • LED interior lights
  • 400W OSRAM LED 40" curved light bar on roof with custom mounts (no whistling or vibration)
  • Baja Designs Squadron Pro (Combo Pattern)
  • Rigid DOT SAE fog lights (Amber lens covers)
  • Cheap Ebay LED Rock Lights
Misc:
  • SmittyBuilt XRC 9500 Synthetic winch
  • Factor55 Flatlink (hidden behind license plate)
  • Cargo area tie-downs
  • Rogue key mod
To Do:
  • Add backup camera
  • Add jerry cans
  • Restore headlight lenses or upgrade
  • Add an air compressor
  • Add side roof lights
  • Add rear roof lights
  • Add wind deflectors to the windows so I can sleep in it with the windows cracked open
  • Finish my Ham license
IMG_20191222_142501.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got a chance to do some wheeling and took some pics (first post updated). It had a terrible, constant squeak when I got it and it sounded like my grandma's '88 chevy POS. Turns out it was just the Hefty front bumper rubbing against the driver's side fender. Fixed it with a strip of rubber. Electronics are arriving over the next few days. Hopefully will have a new backup camera and head unit installed soon. Need to install a CB in the yellow X before the next trip so we can ditch the FRS radios...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Installed a Kenwood 7" touchscreen head unit. It does wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay. Since everything is wireless the phone can stay in my pocket and Android Auto is ready to go (nav, tunes, texts, etc...). The charging dock is magnetic and charges wirelessly so it's really convenient. Voice control is excellent and I can even control my home automation stuff (lights, garage doors, TVs, sprinklers, HVAC, etc from anywhere by voice). Still need to wire up the backup camera when it arrives.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the X has been great! So far it's been my daily driver while my middle son waits to get his full license. That nice dark tint and the excellent rear bumper make it a little tough to see while backing up. So the backup cam is first on the list of updates. After that I need to look into an air compressor and some jerry cans (as expected, it's a thirsty beast!).
We took it to a relative's ranch a few days ago and did some back country exploring. Got it rocking on two wheels for a bit while crawling down into a gully. It handled everything like a champ. Even my 13 year old daughter got to put few miles on it while we were out there. She'll probably be sharing it with her brother in a year and a half. We were going to practice recovery techniques with the winch, but it was a little too chilly and we were short on time get in some good practice. So we might do that this weekend. I don't want them to be like many of the other kids who drive Jeeps and trucks who are clueless about what they are driving...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just replaced the console-mounted Uniden Pro505XL CB radio with a Cobra 75WXST. We decided to add a CB to our other Xterra, so that one gets the Uniden. Since "Gronk" is more capable, it gets the new CB with NOAA weather info. The hardware for the other xterra should arrive soon, so we might start a build thread for that one too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took Gronk on an unexpected trip last week into some remote areas - one of those "so this is how stupid people die in Montana winters" trips. Drove over 1,000 miles in about a day and a half, averaging about 55mph it took about 18 hours. Roads were terrible due to a snowstorm, so I took gronk instead of my DD. I figured its height and steel bumper would do better against deer, slide offs, other drivers, deep snow, etc.. Plus I already had my winter emergency gear in it (blankets, vehicle recovery stuff, everything to survive a cold night or two in the middle of nowhere). The CB actually came in handy a few times as I saw several accidents along the way and truckers are pretty good about having all the details. NOAA broadcasts were helpful in areas without cell coverage.

I learned a few things about Gronk.
  • First, it's reliable even though it's a 15 year old offroad vehicle. No mechanical issues other than excessive and frequent ice buildup in the wheel wells that made me worry about a blowout (had that happen in my dad's car a very long time ago). The windshield fluid froze pretty early in the trip. Probably because the truck came from southern California where any old fluid will do.
  • Second, the 15 year old stock speakers have to go. New ones arrive tomorrow. Wireless Android Auto worked like a champ and I wish my DD had it.
  • Third, gas mileage at those speeds was actually ok. Around town sometimes we get as low as 12 mpg. I got 18+ on that trip. Nice.
  • Fourth, the bumper LEDs are fantastic. They're for off road only, but when you're the only vehicle for miles on a two lane road in a forest in the middle of the night during a snowstorm you do what you have to do. The rooftop led bar didn't help much because it reflected off the dirty windshield and the hood. Need to look at re-aiming it or maybe fabbing a visor to keep glare off the truck. The amber/yellow fog lights were barely noticeable, but they were probably pretty dirty and iced-over.
Speaker pics coming soon...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the new speakers during my lunch hour. Went really fast and easy so I didn't take any pics. They are Kicker 43DSC69304 and 43DSC6704 speakers. They sound substantially better and I got the low end I've been missing with great clarity across the board - so good I couldn't justify the $$ and hassle of replacing the dash speakers. No subs or external amps planned at this point.

I was surprised to pull some Alpine 6x9's from the front door panels. They sounded pretty bad so I assumed the stock speakers were still in there. The alpines must have been pretty old or blown. The rear speakers were Blaupunkt's and looked like they were stock. Got everything from crutchfield and I gotta say they really make it easy with adapters and complete install pictures with all the details (including the socket wrench sizes!) All in it was about $120 so I might do it for the other X too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts