Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if PRG sells the bilstein/nismo struts that come on the Frontier (maybe the OR's, not sure). Woohoo can't wait for the new site either. I can find some used off of the frontier site, but I trust Greg more.

·
on line
316 Posts
Whats wrong with Rancho? One of the best brands out there.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
We dont sell Rancho, really just a Monroe shock painted white. As for Bilsteins, I dont carry the replacement OEM shocks, but if you have the Off-Road package, you can use either the HD series Titan Bilstein (yellow and blue) or the new, adjustable height 5100 series Titan Bilstein (offers upto about 1.5" of lift). If you dont have the O/R package, you may want to wait until the new Bilsteins are available. As for pricing, we sell them, but honestly you can get the for less money from some of the internet shock sites. We dont sell Rancho, or any twin-tube shock because they are generic entry-level disposable products that typically perform poorly. We tend to sell products from companies that allocate money to R&D of new and better-performing products instead of advertising a 30 year old product as something "new and improved".

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an S, so the titan ones are out. What new bils are you talking about??? Have you heard any good or bad on them??/ Thanks for the help and honesty Greg

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
First an explantion of what makes a shock work/ride well. We will only discuss mono-tube design (Bilstein, Radflo, race-type shocks in general). This dosen't really apply to twin-tube (Rancho, KYB, Tokico, Monroe, etc) shocks.
Assuming the shock is the proper length and mounting configuration, the "Valving" or tuning of a shock is what determines the ride quality. Although some shocks are externally adjustable, most of the tuning is internal. Two indentical looking shocks can ride completely different. This is where race-type shocks like the Radflos are easy to adjust/tune with the proper tools. As for Bilstein, they are kind of hit and miss on thier valving. Some products work great while some not so great. It really is a matter of trying the product first and determining if it works well or not. While the 5100 series Bilsteins can be revalved with some modifications, it really isnt a viable option. This is why some people have not had good luck with some Bisltein shocks but others have been very pleased. For instance, Bilstein makes the facory rear Off Road shock, and they work well. But we have about 4 or5 other Bilsteins that will work for the same application but with different valving combinations. The hard part is trying them all and determining which offers the best ride/performance and then using that shock. A perfect example of this SLR and I use different Bilsteins for the rear of the Frontiers, they look the same, are the same lenght, etc. Although very similar in valving, they are slightly different. That being said, Bilstein did a really good job on the front Titan struts. I have not tried the newest variable-height struts yet, we just got them in a few days ago. These may be great, or they may not be. On the other hand, for example, Bilsteins rear Titan shocks are not nearly as good as the fronts and we recommend DRE rear instead for the Titans. But the build quality of all the Bilsteins is the same.

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome explanation. I do wheel but not enough to warrant getting a set of radflo's for $700 (plus nothing will justify this price to my wife unless some of that money went towards a savings account :cheers: , so I think I'm gonna wait to see how you like the bils. Again thank you for the wonderful explanation and I WILL be doing business with you later (when is that stimulus packaage check supposed to be here??)

·
on line
234 Posts
If you can wait till this Summer, Bilstein is releasing a series 5100 adjustable height shock for the X http://www.bilstein.com/offroad_5100pre.php
. Greg currently sells the Titan one and so I would believe he will be selling the X one too. I had the titan one and it was a nice shock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts