Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I NEED to replace the shocks/struts on my stock 2006 4WD Xterra, and I want to use the regular HD Bilstein shocks. Are there any specific difficulties with the installation of the Bilstein shocks? Also where is the best place to buy the shocks.

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Referencing my post on where to buy, part numbers, and overview:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1032924&postcount=6

^Also keep in mind there is a specific way to install Bilstein shocks / washers that shops tend to overlook and leads to clunking.
I guess the "specific way to install Bilstein shocks / washers that shops tend to overlook and leads to clunking" is what concerns me. The shop that wil do the install is competent, but I would like to give them specific info to avoid any errors on the install. Can you elaborate on the washers to avoid the clunking?

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Sure, had to do some googling... "bilstein washer site:www.thenewx.org"

These threads should help:

#1 Diagram of shock install - http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75970
#2 - http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42338
#3 - http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?p=641264#post641264

(#2 and #3) are the threads I followed for my Bilstein install. Oh, and the shocks do come with instructions.

After calling around, I took my front shocks off and brought them to the local Midas to perform the work. Its easy enough to get the front shocks off w/coils attached. There are how-tos on the site. I took them to a local shop that charge me $40 to remove the springs from the old shock and put on the new one. (FYI you could do this part yourself too, renting a spring compressor - but the coils are pretty dangerous to work with.) In addition to being significantly cheaper than paying a shop to do the full install - it allowed me to inspect for proper placement of the washer, dustboot, etc. They did it wrong the first time, but since I caught it quickly and they are already off the truck - it was a quick fix.

This is the thread i followed for front shock removal: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2497

(FYI you dont need to remove the brake line and other bits, I posted this in the same thread: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1041236&postcount=41)

GL.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I ordered my shocks they did come with instructions I ended up replacing some of the mounting hardware for the struct as well as it was quite worn. I provided the instructions that came with the shocks to the shop and made mention of the washers, etc....turned out fine.

Side note: I ordered my bilstiens here, was they cheapest place I found http://www.eshocks.com/

I love them, night and day different from the 'S' setup. Did the rears myself and had the front done for me at the shop! Have fun!!

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I ordered my shocks they did come with instructions I ended up replacing some of the mounting hardware for the struct as well as it was quite worn. I provided the instructions that came with the shocks to the shop and made mention of the washers, etc....turned out fine.

Side note: I ordered my bilstiens here, was they cheapest place I found http://www.eshocks.com/

I love them, night and day different from the 'S' setup. Did the rears myself and had the front done for me at the shop! Have fun!!
Well my X has 107,000 miles on it, so I assume that the mounting hardware has seen better days.
I received the Bilsteins on Thursday from eshocks, and I noticed that the fronts come with a metal collar/ring but nothing else. So if I wanted to be proactive and have new mounting hardware needed to install the struts, what exact parts should I order from the dealer?

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
151 Posts

If you look at the parts on the far right of the image there were a number of them that got swapped out. I do not know specifically which ones, I was doubtful when the shop told me, but after looking at them it was warranted. Some of the fittings and hardware are rubber etc. hopefully that helps - sorry i could not be more specific. He referred to it as the strut mounting hardware.

cheers.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Well my X has 107,000 miles on it, so I assume that the mounting hardware has seen better days.
I received the Bilsteins on Thursday from eshocks, and I noticed that the fronts come with a metal collar/ring but nothing else. So if I wanted to be proactive and have new mounting hardware needed to install the struts, what exact parts should I order from the dealer?

Thanks,
Zack
The mounting hardware are a few bolts and washers. Personally I wouldnt bother replacing - unless - they are rusted through.

I would however, invest in some PB blaster to soak them a few days prior to removal. Even if you aren't doing the install yourself.

Lastly, how long have you been driving with bad shocks? Stock coils are meant to last the life of the truck - provided they aren't coupled with blown shocks for a significant amount of time. If they are, the majority of the front end weight @ rest will be supported by the coils and lead to early wear / fatigue, etc.

·
on line
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I stopped by the local mechanic yesterday, and he quoted my $225.00 to replace the shocks/struts and complete a wheel alignment. Does that sound like a decent/fair price?

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
25 Posts
i was that idiot

Well,
I went with the bilstein adjustables and set them at 2 inches. I thought all was good and the install was fairly easy, until I hit my first bump on the way our of the garage. So for over a month, I was puzzled by my "clunking" on every bump. I tried upper and lower bump stops and it didn't fix it. I was at the point of buying new upper control arms because I thought it was coil bucket contact. So I email Nisstec and sent them a few pictures about my problem. They saw right from the start, that my washer stack up was wrong. the concave washer was not where it needed to be. I put it under the jam nut instead of on top of the dust boot. Being a mechanic, I followed the instructions that came with the shocks and I thought I did it all right. Well I didn't. Today I flipped the washer stack up and "viloa" All fixed. The bilstein 5100's ride awesome. I don't have the arb/wench set up, so I can't speak for how they hold up with a heavy front, but them shocks are awesome. I do a lot of beach driving and can't wait to see what that feels like. THe guys at Nisstec are awesome. As for the 225 price, that is pretty good.
John
va beach

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have a good day to all!
Anyone know the exactly Nissan part-number for Xterra's stock Bilstein shocks?
I found some numbers,but not assure that its correct...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Have a good day to all!
Anyone know the exactly Nissan part-number for Xterra's stock Bilstein shocks?
I found some numbers,but not assure that its correct...

I think its 56110-EA028, just so you know that's basically just a Bilstein 4600 with a Nissan sticker on it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think its 56110-EA028, just so you know that's basically just a Bilstein 4600 with a Nissan sticker on it.
Can someone confirm this?
What I know is that the OEM Yellow Bilstein is valved stiffer than the 5100.
What I have READ is that the 4600 and the 5100 are valved the same. The difference being that the 5100 has additional snap ring grooves for different preload settings (and the silver zinc coated finish vs yellow paint).
This would suggest that the OEM yellows are not valved the same as 4600's.

I know in the Tacoma/Tundra world, the OEM yellows are not the same as the aftermarket 4600s.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks!
Im think same, because I check it in parts catalogue with 2011 Xterra Off Road VIN and catalogue showed same part-number.
Actually mine current old yellow Nissan shocks not work a well(even on perfect roads) because of age and I want to install new KYB shocks(341468)...

99% of my trips - normal urban and intercities roads,and I think here is no reason to spent money for HD shocks such as Ironman,OME or Rancho

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
99% of my trips - normal urban and intercities roads,and I think here is no reason to spent money for HD shocks such as Ironman,OME or Rancho
A bargain priced product is only a good deal so long as it lasts an equal length of time as its competitors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts