Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I'm bringing my truck in to have the OEM front shocks and coilovers swapped with some used Pro4x ones I bought here from a forum member. Normally I do this stuff myself but I didn't want to mess with coils, so I'm bringing it in.

From what I've read, if they do everything exactly as the OEM I'll have a "clunking" problem. From another thread;

"Let me tell you....I put new HD bilsteins on my S couple weeks ago, I had the nasty annoying clunk myself on BOTH sides....A friend on this forum gave me the fix as he had the same problem....stock shocks use only 1 washer ...u need to use 2...1 from old shocks and 1 from new bilsteins. one between the top of the dust boot and bushing....and other on top of perch under the top nut. Believe it or not...this WILL fix the clunk."

I bought these used and they didn't come with instructions or any other parts, just the shock and coil. Will I be missing the additional Bilstein supplied washer? If so, what size is it and can I get it from a hardware store?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Im pretty sure the clunk is from aftermarket bils. Not the stock pro4x.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, I feel way better about this install now! It should be an easy swap for them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
901 Posts
That doesn't seem right...

If you are just swapping a set of assembled PRO-4X coilovers for your stock coilovers it's only 4 bolts per side: the bottom shock bolt and the 3 nuts on the coil bucket.

All the other steps in the thread you mentioned are about installing OME shocks. Perhaps you are getting confused between OEM and OME.

OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer
OME: Old Man Emu (an aftermarket suspension company)

You can (could?) save money by re-using the OEM upper mounting hardware on you new OME shocks. Since that isn't what you described you are planning on I really think its just plug and play for you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

This should be the correct assembly layout.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just had this done, put the HD's in however. There were other parts that needed to be replaced, just a heads up. Not saying this is how it will be for you but I had that rubber plate replaced the shock shaft etc. It was refered to from Nissan as a strut mounting kit. Mine were fairly worn, and I verified it by looking at the parts in the shop.

Anyhow, did the rears myself and had the fronts done at the shop. Rides amaaaaaazing now. very excited.

I had the bilstein instruction sheet to provide them with, there is no clunking sound that I have heard yet, rides much smoother now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The parts I replaced were on the far right - 54104-56125 some of those in there. they were failry worn, I have about 155K km's.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
512 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Im pretty sure the clunk is from aftermarket bils. Not the stock pro4x.
Posted via Mobile Device
^This.

The OEM Pro4X Bilsteins aren't HD Bilsteins. Totally different shock. The ones you have will fit fine without any modification.
Pretty much. Pro4X Bils are valved specifically for the X and softer for Off roading. But besides valving they are bistein HD 4600 shocks. The HD 4600 are valved to suit a wide range of trucks and a little more for pavement driving dynamics. Also HD 4600s are the same as 5100s, except that 5100s are height adjustable for more travel / lift.

Lastly, stock coils are the same for all year Xterras. There is no difference between a PRO4X coil, S, SE or X trim.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They're installing them now. I'm hoping it all goes well and it should be a nice smooth ride home today. :) Thanks for all the info everyone. Lot's of generous people on here.

And thanks again to LIXterra for the shocks and coils!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The work is done. I'm feeling at minimum a 75% decrease in front end bounce while driving. Awesome!

·
Registered
151 Posts
The spring rate for the stock springs is the same for all trim levels. I'm confused as to how you think you feel a difference? Unless your old set was completely obliterated?

but the new shocks will definitely dampen the spring bounce, the first thing you notice with blown shocks is a more bouncy feeling because the rebound and dampening mechanisms are all shot.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
The spring rate for the stock springs is the same for all trim levels. I'm confused as to how you think you feel a difference? Unless your old set was completely obliterated?

but the new shocks will definitely dampen the spring bounce, the first thing you notice with blown shocks is a more bouncy feeling because the rebound and dampening mechanisms are all shot.
Agreed. Hence why I'm asking if the old shocks were dead. If not, it's just the placebo effect causing the feeling of better ride quality.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The old shocks had 109k miles on them. I think the shocks were shot and the bounce I was feeling was all spring. It really felt like I was riding on springs. And the difference isn't placebo. When I first got the truck the bounce was so bad I felt nauseous at times. Now that I'm used to it and most of the bounce is gone I actually felt a strange smooth floating feeling while driving. I know it's strange, but it's VERY noticeable that the bounce is gone. My hunch was correct, the front shocks were toast. I could also tell a difference going over the speed bumps at work. I didn't have the bottoming out feeling anymore and the 9 or 10 bounce aftershock. Very cool.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The old shocks had 109k miles on them. I think the shocks were shot and the bounce I was feeling was all spring. It really felt like I was riding on springs. And the difference isn't placebo. When I first got the truck the bounce was so bad I felt nauseous at times. Now that I'm used to it and most of the bounce is gone I actually felt a strange smooth floating feeling while driving. I know it's strange, but it's VERY noticeable that the bounce is gone. My hunch was correct, the front shocks were toast. I could also tell a difference going over the speed bumps at work. I didn't have the bottoming out feeling anymore and the 9 or 10 bounce aftershock. Very cool.
just had mine replaced with the 4600 HD's - also NIGHT and day difference. :bounce:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts