1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I put the AC front coils on my Off Road Bilstiens and the ride is not firm but rather bouncy - both the front and rear shocks need a bunch of help. I've been looking at the Bilstien coilovers as a cure. I don't mind firm ... the bounce is driving me nutz.

·
on line
191 Posts
You guys are spending pretty much the same amount for coilovers such as these as the ones PRG sells. What I don't understand is why not go the proven route and just order from Greg. Not only will doing this save you the headache and regain you a few more hours of sleep, but you'll know deep inside that you're getting a reliable product with a 100% backing from Greg himself should something come up. Radflo's are good stuff, you can take my word for it.

~Joseph

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Unfortunately there probably won't be any solution for some time as the solution to the bounciness is stiffer/custom valving matched to the spring rate.
If you have the AC coils and want to keep them, the Bilstein coilovers from AC may be the answer but I don't know how much R&D they put into them... it would suck to get them and have really expensive, improperly valved shocks and then have to disassemble everything and have them properly valved for more rebound control.

·
on line
191 Posts
DBAX said:
aren't you a little biased? I mean, you list Radflos (no doubt a fine product) as your only mod..
Never, if a product is good it is good, theres no doubt about that. You can get all different shock companies out there and you'll find the same technology i.e. same eye designs, piston shape, etc... What sets Radflo apart is the customer service they offer and by that I mean they are one of the best by far. I'm just saying why not go the proven route and save some cash and have the reassurance of getting what you paid for. Also, Greg is man that will back up what he sells and not leave you stranded, and that alone is worth more than the products he sells put together. Get the bilsteins if you please, not only will that put the true credibility of the product to the test but also the standards of AC as a company on the line. My .02.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
I had the AC coils with rancho 9000 shocks.... And now i am running the radflo's SO....

I have ridden on them both and can say that the radflo's dont even deserve being compared to the AC/Rancho combination. They are in a whole different league.

The only problem with saying that they are similar cost is that the radflos must be combined with the TC UCA's. So you would have to tack on another 550 bucks.

·
on line
68 Posts
Are these Bilsteins rebuildable?
Also, I went through the stiff and bouncy stage with the AC coils. Once settled, the ride is fine.
Paul, I'll be on the run this weekend...are you going? If so, I'll let you take my truck for a drive and you can compare.

·
on line
204 Posts
i believe those bilsteins ARE rebuildable (i think they are a bilstein 7100 series), but with Radflos you get spherical bearings on the top and bottom mounts, Eibach coils of whichever spring rate you would need, and you don't have to reuse your stock upper mounts, ALL for 50 bucks more than AC's Bilstein shocks alone. and i'm not sure if the Bilsteins have an internal reservoir( emulsion shock), whereas the Radflos have an internal floating piston( internal reservoir). its your money but i think Radflos are a better value, i have Radflos because of Gregs customer service, and he sells and puts together great products. there are Radflos that work without TC arms now though.

·
on line
204 Posts
after looking closer i THINK those AC Bilstein coilovers are 5100 series

these with the blue coils look very similar (shaft, lower mount)they are for a tundra though

IF they are 5100s they are NOT rebuildable, and the 7100s look like they have a larger shaft, i could be wrong though????

·
on line
238 Posts
Just to clear up Radflo availbility... You can now get Radfo's in two formats:

Radflo for use with TC UCA for up to 3" lift.

Radflo for use with stock UCA for ~2-2.25" lift.

(preload is adjstable to dial in lift and compensate for equipment sag)

·
on line
564 Posts
Turtle said:
Just to clear up Radflo availbility... You can now get Radfo's in two formats:

Radflo for use with TC UCA for up to 3" lift.

Radflo for use with stock UCA for ~2-2.25" lift.

(preload is adjstable to dial in lift and compensate for equipment sag)
Do you have a link for the Radflo that can be used with the stock UCA? It looks like PRG hasn't updated their website in quite a while and all I can find are the original Radflos.

Rob

·
on line
1,739 Posts
xtatik said:
Are these Bilsteins rebuildable?
Also, I went through the stiff and bouncy stage with the AC coils. Once settled, the ride is fine.
Paul, I'll be on the run this weekend...are you going? If so, I'll let you take my truck for a drive and you can compare.
Thanks.

Yupp - and we'll be camping over night. I only drive 4 miles to work and back on these things and to be honest I don't know if they're settling in with this little mileage on them. This weekend ought to be 300 miles or so with a pretty good portion on some tough road. I haven't picked a solution yet.

With Spencer Low Racing all of about 15 miles away I have to have a look at their possible solutions too. I've written them for advice. AC recommend their coil-overs.

The suspension is holding up the purchase of my front and rear bumpers.

·
on line
68 Posts
2006fronty said:
i believe those bilsteins ARE rebuildable (i think they are a bilstein 7100 series), but with Radflos you get spherical bearings on the top and bottom mounts, Eibach coils of whichever spring rate you would need, and you don't have to reuse your stock upper mounts, ALL for 50 bucks more than AC's Bilstein shocks alone. and i'm not sure if the Bilsteins have an internal reservoir( emulsion shock), whereas the Radflos have an internal floating piston( internal reservoir). its your money but i think Radflos are a better value, i have Radflos because of Gregs customer service, and he sells and puts together great products. there are Radflos that work without TC arms now though.
The spherical bearings you mention are called "heim" joints. I've had to listen to them rattle next to my ears for 1000's of miles when I raced 5-1600 cars. There great on racing machines, but are of little advantage for purposes our trucks are limited to. Most all nitrogen gas shocks are internal reservoired and Bilstein invented the first of this kind of shock. Most all current gas reservoired shock manufacturers owe their existence to Bilsteins earlier inventions. The Radflo may be a better value and they look real cool, but I'm sure the Bilsteins are worth every dime.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
xtatik said:
2006fronty said:
The spherical bearings you mention are called "heim" joints. I've had to listen to them rattle next to my ears for 1000's of miles when I raced 5-1600 cars. There great on racing machines, but are of little advantage for purposes our trucks are limited to. Most all nitrogen gas shocks are internal reservoired and Bilstein invented the first of this kind of shock. Most all current gas reservoired shock manufacturers owe their existence to Bilsteins earlier inventions. The Radflo may be a better value and they look real cool, but I'm sure the Bilsteins are worth every dime.
Bil's are definitely worth every dime but as you know from your racing background, valving is critical.
The Radflo's are valved specifically for the X.

·
on line
204 Posts
the Bilstein shocks alone ( w/no coils) cost as much as the Radflos which are a simple remove/replace install, whereas the Bilsteins require you to take apart your stock coilover, reuse your top mount, and reuse your stock coil or AC coil ( Eibachs are race proven by the way, as are radflos and bilsteins, can't say that about AC coils) and spherical bearings don't bind like the stock upper mounts possibly do.

·
on line
68 Posts
lifeinthesouth said:
xtatik said:
2006fronty said:
Bil's are definitely worth every dime but as you know from your racing background, valving is critical.
The Radflo's are valved specifically for the X.
Very true!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts