Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m new to the site and would appreciate advice about bilstein 5100 front shocks. I have a 14 pro4x I’ve owned since new which is my dd. I do light off road and tow a small boat. I plan to do the melt mod and go up to 285 tires and would like to upgrade the shocks as the stock 4600 aren’t too impressive. I’ve seen a couple posts on forums warning to avoid the 5100. My question is:
1-do issues exist only when using lift setting on shock- I am not lifting at this time
2- some posts seem to indicate the problem is unclear installation instructions and when installed properly there’s no issue- anyone agree?
3- any better mid priced options for a slightly beefier shock?
Any advice greatly appreciated thanks!

·
on line
221 Posts
I installed 5100s myself set at the stock height with lift springs and the ride is great. Most people will say to not lift with the 5100 snap rings above .5" or maybe 1". This is mostly because that puts more preload on your spring, which is bad for the stock springs.

·
Registered
63 Posts
5100's are great, don't lift past 1" like Texas mentioned. They 100% need to be installed correctly, mine were assembled incorrectly by the shop and both shocks failed within 1 week. Major dick measuring contest ensued for them to take apart the shocks with me supervising to confirm they in fact assembled the shocks incorrectly despite me giving them the damn instructions... I didn't have to pay for the second fix but it was irritating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
5100's are great, don't lift past 1" like Texas mentioned. They 100% need to be installed correctly, mine were assembled incorrectly by the shop and both shocks failed within 1 week. Major dick measuring contest ensued for them to take apart the shocks with me supervising to confirm they in fact assembled the shocks incorrectly despite me giving them the damn instructions... I didn't have to pay for the second fix but it was irritating.
How do you know if they failed? I believe I am in the same boat. I ordered some new hardware so I can re-install them correctly next weekend. But how would I know if they have failed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had the shop install my 5100s with the full 2" on the front. Is 1" maximum the end all be all of how high you can set the circlip?

·
Registered
63 Posts
How do you know if they failed? I believe I am in the same boat. I ordered some new hardware so I can re-install them correctly next weekend. But how would I know if they have failed?
total strut failure in the front end, no rebound and shit was bottoming out on the smallest bumps. It should be pretty obvious if they are junk. Make sure to follow the diagram and install the washer in the correct spot

·
Registered
7 Posts
total strut failure in the front end, no rebound and shit was bottoming out on the smallest bumps. It should be pretty obvious if they are junk. Make sure to follow the diagram and install the washer in the correct spot
Yep. I pulled them apart last weekend. Luckily the struts looked and felt fine. The shop didn't install them correctly. It looks like they just unbolted the strut from the upper mount. Slid out the old strut and slid in the new strut and bolted it back together. The lower washer is KEY. I added new bushings and assembled it correctly. The rattle is gone except on very violent bumps. Basically hitting a deep pothole.

In case anybody is wondering. Part # B4-KT1-Z097A00 or B4-KT1-Z103A00 will work fine if you need "lost" washers or bushings. The bushings are the same in both kits. Only the washer is different although either will work fine. 103 comes with the same washer as the 5100s although.

Edit: added picture

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your struts should be fine despite the initial botched install, have you figured out where the rattle is coming from? If you disconnected your sway bar at all I'd check the end links are tight, I had a clunk/rattle on pot holes after my uca/strut install and it was because I rushed tightening up the end links and left a little slack

·
Registered
7 Posts
Picture below is what my rattle was. The lower washer was not installed so the strut was lifting out of the upper mount. The metal sleeve/bushing was contacting the mount. I had new end links and sway bar bushings installed just after the strut install by the shop. So I know the end links are correctly torqued now that I've done it myself.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Picture below is what my rattle was. The lower washer was not installed so the strut was lifting out of the upper mount. The metal sleeve/bushing was contacting the mount. I had new end links and sway bar bushings installed just after the strut install by the shop. So I know the end links are correctly torqued now that I've done it myself.

View attachment 130038
Been there, done that, learning curve can get tight now and again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I lifted front to maximum, if I correct remember 2" front with these shocks. Rear use Rough country lifted 1 1/2" All above allow me to install 285/70 R17 Wrangler Dura Trac tires.
Very happy with this set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts