Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Could you please advise your reviews and feedback for which is better Bilstein 5100 or OME on and off road

note - usually i am doing off-road on dunes (high temperatures)

Thank You

·
Registered
47 Posts
I assume you mean OEM. OEM and typical aftermarket replacement dampers are incredibly crude and non-adjustable, so your best bet is to choose a damper that best matches what you need. I use my Xterra for a lot of towing and carrying motorcycles on a hitch carrier, so I choose HD dampers with extra rebound control, and they work well for my application. Rebound valving will be very different for damper intended for offroad use. Bilsteins seem to be a favorite of offroad enthusiasts. If you are mostly concerned about street driving, you could probably match the performance of the OEM dampers with KYB units, which would cost a lot less than what you would pay for Nissan parts.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I assume you mean OEM. OEM and typical aftermarket replacement dampers are incredibly crude and non-adjustable, so your best bet is to choose a damper that best matches what you need. I use my Xterra for a lot of towing and carrying motorcycles on a hitch carrier, so I choose HD dampers with extra rebound control, and they work well for my application. Rebound valving will be very different for damper intended for offroad use. Bilsteins seem to be a favorite of offroad enthusiasts. If you are mostly concerned about street driving, you could probably match the performance of the OEM dampers with KYB units, which would cost a lot less than what you would pay for Nissan parts.
No, they’re asking about Old Man Emu, commonly abbreviated as OME. Confusing because of the similarity to OEM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suspect you'd want coilovers with reservoirs to keep your strut/shock as cool as long as possible.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I have Bilstein 5160 which have external reservoirs, they should be better for quick changing surface and long distance, more cooling.

they have been great, probably regular 5100 would feel the same because I haven’t stressed them much, not more than 10 miles at a time, but about 60 such events this year.

what was more of a concern was the Stiffness of OME Old Man Emu leaf springs. Until I put in adjustable rear shackles at 2 inch max setting, the leaf springs were too stiff, my rear cargo was going airborne at times. Even the 40 lb loads.

so you should consider the whole rear suspension, change 1 thing, see how it effects the experience, change another

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just get the Alldogs offroad bilstein set your if you’re at the budget price level here. It’s USA made and the customer service is excellent.
Why wait for the Aussie stuff and give your money to them anyway?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just had my Alldogs set up out finally off pavement. Did a full day quail hunt on dirt roads and sandy washes and it felt just fine. Felt like I was rolling right over things that normally would have my x rocking side to Side wildly. The passenger used to try to avoid getting concussions on the window, now it felt like I was plowing right over shit..like it had more flex or something.
my tires are a bit too small now with the lift, but that’ll never change as long as I daily drive it to work.

I don’t know what a $2500 suspension feels like, but I’m more than happy with my budget set up. Didn’t notice anything uncomfortable or bad today and I didn’t take it easy at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went with Bilstein 5100 from 4wheelonline. I do moderate off-roading only so these shocks are good enough. They ride great on smooth pavement also.

·
Well then...
617 Posts
Old Man Emu is overrated, over priced and under performing in my humble opinion. Save some doh, get the bils with a quality UCA and enjoy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts