Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Bilstein 5100 Adjustable's for 2011 X

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Unamused 
#1 ·
I've read a few posts on the 5100's adjustable and I am getting confused on some of the replies etc..
Are these a good choice versus spacers in front. I'm mainly wanting to level/lift. Some posts have said the bilstein ride is not good once these are installed. I don't do any heavy 4x4 action etc. I may go with the 285 tires later

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
The front 5100's have a ring that can be adjusted to provide different lifts. This is not like a coilover that you can crank up and down while installed, it is a set ring that sits on the strut that holds the bottom spring plate in place; therefore you place the set ring in the desired lift position and have the spring compressed and have the struts installed. The rear's do not, they are pre-built for certain lifts i.e. 2-4".

As far as ride is concerned a lot of people have heavy aftermarket bumpers, winches, skids etc that help weigh down the front end tremendously compared to the OEM weight. If you never plan on adding any weight to the front end, they may ride just fine for you. But I do not have them myself so IDK from experience, just others experience. Good luck!

#6 ·
^^ This

Don't forget that these front shocks add travel. The whole reason Bilstein came out with these was to maximize lift and travel on an otherwise stock vehicle. Before I settled on these shocks, I did a lot of research and found info on the Bilstein site stating the above. The fronts are not just a shock upgrade. They're a suspension upgrade. You can always upgrade springs later if you add a winch bumper, etc.

With strut spacers, all you're doing is lowering the shock. It doesn't add travel. It doesn't change damping rates either. They are fine for a lot of people, but for people like me that didn't want to shell out the money for UCA's and extended travel shocks (which is another topic - regarding how much they actually "extend" beyond stock), the 5100's are going to be the least expensive upgrade. More travel might not be important to you, but it was for me. How much do they increase travel in the front? A little over an inch, which doesn't sound like much, but that's a 17% increase over stock.

This topic seems to have beat to death. I know the OP wants to make a good decision, but either way you lift the front, you won't be making a "bad" decision... just a different one. :eek:ccasion5:

#9 ·
Thanks for the PICs, Thats as about as much as I want to go on lift/level. What do you have on rear's, standard 5100's or AAL etc?? Nice X you have, and I wish I was there in pic's (warmer), its -43 here wind chill!! Thanks again for the info!! Appreciate it....

#11 ·
No problem man, glad to help. The rear is sitting on 2" lift shackles, 2" extended 5100's and a set of Helwig 550 helper springs. I love this combo, it is better than just spacers and shackles, and it didn't cost much.

Thanks! The last pic is from Pismo Beach CA, we go there every Thanksgiving, it is very nice! Being from AZ I can not even wrap my head around -43! That is Dark Side of the Moon cold!

#10 ·
I have the 5100 coilovers offered by Nisstec. They are a great option for those on a budget or who are not looking for a simple build. I personally was not ready to jump into extended travel and A-Arms which is why I went that direction. Either way, I love the ride which is a big improvement over stock bother on and off highway. I will say that they do not agree with speed bumps that well at faster speeds, they feel like the rebound is a bit harsh on the tailend of the bump. But my goal was not to bomb speed bumps. LOL.

Either way I am happy with my decision. Hope you find what you are looking for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.