Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 05 xterra. The shocks needed replacement. My mechanic just put a set of Bilstein 5100 on the front raised 2", and the rear installed as well (without shackles or AAL). I actually haven't driven it yet, as it's waiting at the shop for me to pickup.

After doing a little more research I see people saying the ride at 2" in the front was too "rough." I just wanted a little lift with the option to do more mods down the road, like add shackles etc. I was hoping to not get into shackles / AAL at this point.

Should I go ahead and have the mechanic re-install the front at 1.5"? Or just drive it around town and see how it feels? For now it's just my daily driver, future plans for off-roading in Baja Mexico, but not anytime soon. I'm open to suggestions in general.

I have read about every thread I could find on Bilstein 5100 on Xterras, but I never saw this exact issue addressed clearly, so thanks in advance.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Others can chime in here but I'd ask the mechanic to re-install with 1" of lift only. The consensus here is that anything more than 1" on the 5100's will be a very rough ride. Never mind that I don't think the truck will look good with 2" lift up front and nothing (likely even sagged down since you have an 05) out back. Just my two cents. BTW, I have 5100's up front set at .5" of lift and an AAL on the back. 33" tires. I'm very happy with the look. A very very slight bit of rake but it will correct itself over time, may even throw a spacer up front for another .5" at most. I use my truck as my daily driver but also as my exploration vehicle. It's a good compromise between stock and the Titan-swapped extremes.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I’ve had mine set at 1.5” it’s a little harsh but not horrible. Has gotten better over time as the springs have settled a bit .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hate how my 5100s ride at 1.5", i plan on installing spacers once i get a free moment as a temporary fix until I get the money for some higher quality front shocks. I'll probably end up getting PRG's aluminum shocks, they look pretty good. If you're more concerned for on-road comfort than off-road capability for the time, then I'd buy a 1" spacer and you can add .5 from the shock if you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts