Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has gotten beefier brakes since getting bigger tires. It seems when I got the 285's the brakes got a little mushy. I knew this would happen, but I was wondering if it's a good idea to upgrade them (I think Stillen makes some for ours)

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah, a couple of us have upgraded the brakes.... drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads, stainless steel brake lines... etc.

I have the pads and rotors from the stillen site, I decided to go only with the drilled rotors. My front brake lines are from Calmini, and my rear ones are from AC.

Totally worth the money!!! (especially for me with 35" tires)

·
on line
3,262 Posts
:drunken: ha... yeah.

But I do recommend them. Honestly I really put them to the test the other day. A small little sports car did a 'swoop and duck' on me (or whatever you call it). Little bastard pulled into my lane (right most lane) then decided he wanted to pull into the shell station immediately to our right. I literally crapped my pants when this all happened! I had to slam on the brakes so hard I thought my femur bone was going to snap. The friggin' tires squealed so loud i thought my tires were being welded to the pavement.

Well I could go on for hours about this crap.... but let me just say, if I didnt do this brake upgrade, my insurance would probably be buying that prick a new sports car.

·
on line
807 Posts
I just ordered some slotted rotors, and am trying to decide which pads to go with. Its between the Metal Matrix pads Stillen sells, and EBC's Greenstuff truck/suv pads. I hear a lot of good things about Greenstuff pads, but they are all the 2000series, not the truck/suv 6000 series pads.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
i have the slotted powerslot rotors and powerslot recommends a a metallic pad vs the ceramic.
My rotors are the larger Titan rotors with the stillen metal matrix pads and CST stainless lines... the whole set-up works great!

·
on line
1,320 Posts
yeah, you can get just the MM pads from stillen for the stock application. Most any auto parts store will have Raybestos or a couple other brands of stock replacement pads as well.

·
on line
807 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Yeah, a couple of us have upgraded the brakes.... drilled/slotted rotors, ceramic pads, stainless steel brake lines... etc.

I have the pads and rotors from the stillen site, I decided to go only with the drilled rotors. My front brake lines are from Calmini, and my rear ones are from AC.

Totally worth the money!!! (especially for me with 35" tires)
I take it you got the Frontier front brake lines from the Calmini site? None are listed for gen 2 Xs. I've got the rears from AC coming as well.....

·
on line
3,218 Posts
raybestos CQ pads are priced fair; no dusting, no squealing, good wear, etc. I'll buy 'em for this X when I replace the OE.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts