Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
2,459 Posts
Bad link.

But they look like those Nitto grappler's or something like that.

·
on line
1,081 Posts
I looked at them when I was in the market for tires last year. Big O couldn't compete with Nitto (via Discount Tire) on the price though. I want to say they were on the order of $160 / tire for the 265's. My Terragrapplers were closer to $130 / tire. They Big O's are studable and have a little larger voids, but they are fairly similar.

Just noticed that the Big O's are load range E. The Terragrapplers I got were load range D because they were cheaper and a bit softer on the road than the load range E Terragrapplers in the same size. So it's not a totally apples to apples comparison, but the price difference is still fairly significant.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw them online while browsing for some replacements... I've got 17k on my stock OR tires. They seam to be wearing quick and didn't give me the snow/slick traction I wanted on Sunday.

I want something with more grip, but around the same weight (gas milage really) and same noise. Price is a factor, but 3rd to the other two.

I don't know the price, but may give Big O a call.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
So how much do they weigh? Load Range E is a great way to go for strong, but a less good way to go for unsprung weight and ride quality.

BTW, on a serious note, the BFG MTs are practically as quiet as their AT cousins. It's the same basic tire, with a more aggressive tread, no sipes, and more void. Keep them perfectly balanced and they're very smooth. But oh those notoriously vulnerable sidewalls...

·
on line
1,081 Posts
jollyman78 said:
I want something with more grip, but around the same weight (gas milage really) and same noise. Price is a factor, but 3rd to the other two.
I'd be willing to bet that they weight significantly more than the Long Trail's. They are a much more agressive tire with a higher load rating. The same size tire is virtually guaranteed to negatively effect your mileage if you go with the Big O's. They stock them at all the Big O stores though. Just stop in and check some out. It's really a nice looking tire, but if I were going to get them it'd be studded and mounted to a spair set of rims...

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Tirerack lists weights for the tires they carry. And many manufacturers do on their websites.

Tires in the low to mid 50 lb range are normal for aftermarket meats our size. Tires over 60 lbs are starting to get prety heavy for our rigs, IMO. That includes the Toyo Open Country MTs in 285 75 16s, tires I love and run on my Jeep project vehicle (the 265s) but I decided were too heavy for my X.

Load Range E tires are made for serious heavy-duty pick-up type applications, but are relatively dependable offroad because of their strength. They are not champion flexers, however, and some of the very big tires on purpose-built off-road vehicles may be 39s or 40s, but are Load Range C, flotation tires. For what I do I want strong, so I like that our 16" rims tend to fit D or E range tires. But then there's the weight and somewhat limited flex aired down. Trade-offs.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've moved away from these as an option. Right now I'm trying to decide between the BFG KO's and BFG MT's...

From what I've been reading, some of what you said makes sense; but I need to read more.

I have an OR, the stock tires are the BFG Rugged trails, but I can't seam to find good data on them... tire rack shows 3 versions at our stock size, but the one that we seam to have (114T) don't show specs.

BTW, I'm going to replace with stock size, 265/75/16.

...maybe I should start a different thread; need some help deciding.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Between the BFGs it's a question of how often you're really offroad, especially in the mud, deep snow and rocks. Even off road, the ATs are probably better in the sand, and on fire roads.

But they're basically the same tire, with different treads. Their sidewalls are not the strongest, but they're decent. If you live in sharp rocks, I'd re-think if it were me, but otherwise, you can't go wrong with either.

If it's on-road and mild wheeling, I'd say the AT's. Smooth, quiet, almost as good as a street tire on the road, and properly cared for they'll get you 50K miles easy. I took my ATs everywhere and never had a problem.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've have 17k on my stock OR RT's and they're not looking so great treadwise... I'm really surprised as I've read people on here saying that they're great; I guess a 2mile drive down then up a paved curvy canyon (gaining 2k feet in that 2 miles) takes a tole on the rubber.

When it's nice, I plan on going offroad about every weekend (or every other depending on work). I haven't been on any muddy trails (last year) that my stock tires didn't get me though... I have however been in two places in the snow in the past week that have almost got me stuck.
I think I'm leaning toward the AT's... not sure I need the extra knobbyness of the MT's; or the noise when I drive to SLC in October.

·
on line
259 Posts
jollyman78 said:
...maybe I should start a different thread; need some help deciding.
I went through a lot of thought deciding what tires to get. I ended up getting BFG AT KO's over M/T's for several reasons, just to list a few:
- Last longer.
- Quieter rider.
- Better on-road traction.
- There is very little mud in CO and UT (where I usually go wheeing). It's mostly gravel, rocks, sand and there isn't much clay.
- Better winter traction.
- Better MPG.

I ended up retaining the stock 265/75/16.

I am very happy with my decision.

·
on line
1,081 Posts
Jolly, a buddy of mine in Castle Rock has a set of BFG AT ko's that he took off his Taco a few weeks ago after running them for less than 2K miles. They're 285/75/16's and he's asking $700 for the set but would probably take a bit less just to get them out of the garage. Shoot me a PM if it sounds like something you might be interested in. I'd buy 'em myself, but my 265 Nitto's have less than 6K miles on them and my wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to switch tires so soon.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cruiser said:
Jolly, a buddy of mine in Castle Rock has a set of BFG AT ko's that he took off his Taco a few weeks ago after running them for less than 2K miles. They're 285/75/16's and he's asking $700 for the set but would probably take a bit less just to get them out of the garage. Shoot me a PM if it sounds like something you might be interested in. I'd buy 'em myself, but my 265 Nitto's have less than 6K miles on them and my wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting to switch tires so soon.

Tempting, but I'm wanting to stick with the stock size of 265/75/16.

...hmmm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts