Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen vid after vid of xterra runs where someone or several people drive purposefully into a large 50 foot long 4 foot deep mud/water hole............It looks like you can go around most of the ones ive seen in the vids. What the hell would ya do that for!?!

·
on line
358 Posts
I haven't looked hard enough but where is the air intake? How deep can we go before hydolocking?

·
on line
332 Posts
as long as you do the breather mod then you should be fine for the rear dif. Here in colorado some trails you don't have a way around, especially in spring everything is melting.

·
on line
358 Posts
One of the smaller holes on Bunce School Road last weekend. There was one twice as deep that we went thru.

I know, it's not an Xterra.

·
on line
36 Posts
I know it's different back East and in the South, but here in the West vegetation grows very slowly because of the harsh environment. Going off trail is incredibly destructive as a result. It leads to erosion, habitat loss, and trail closures.

So, the rule in Colorado and Utah is, if your rig can't make past an obstacle without going off trail, you have an obligation to turn back. You can always try it again when things have dried out, or when you've gotten better tires, etc.

·
on line
358 Posts
This is the trail. Just spring runoff. With all of the snow that we had that day I came home clean.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Back when I was considering making a snork, I took a long hard look at the X, I took a fender off and checked all places where water can enter, I figured you are good to top of the rims for a short burst. Center of the wheels for a water crossing. The intake is covered very well, it's inside the driver side fender, right behind the turn signal light. Mine is even better as I added a hose, (Only helps when going down a bank and in.) The T case and Trans and F diff have vents, the vent hose is located at the bottom of the Air intake box, (You can feel it) The worry, is the crappy location of the alternator, So low, there goes your bearings. None of that is cheap. So far bearings alone are hard to find. The other reason not to do Mud is that it will settle and dry pretty quick in the radiator fins, then, on down the line you will overheat. You'll notice fan staying on (The electric one) that is your clue you are in deep doo. The best way to prevent it is, if you do get muddy water in there rinse it out quick! Carry a Blaster, or water cannon and blast it out while it is still fresh. If you were caught off guard, foaming bathroom cleaner works, may have to use several times, Also a hair pick (like for a fro) will move clogged mud from the fins. Don't use a power washer, but a garden hose only. I coat mine with food grade silicone, it don't attract dirt because it dries, and it lets the dirt slide out with a short blast of water, then re coat. Mud does other nasty things to brakes, and wheel bearings, Park brake cables, rust damage, on and on. Best to only go through it when it is between where you want to be and where you are and these is no other way to go treading lightly. So in short, listen to what your mother said, "Stay out of the mud!" Your wallet will thank you.

The picture below is a shot of the hose I used to entend the intake back and give me better aproach on a river crossing (Clean water) This shot is taken on driver side, looking up head towards engine. I can easily add a Safarri snork from a Land Rover, but, what is the point with all the weaknesses?

This link has more info, http://www.urbanlandcruisers.com/products/electrical.html
The refer to a Mean Green alternator, You can buy the Mean Green Alternator spray and DIY I did it installed, but a much better job can be done when it comes off. Do a search for the spary, it's not cheap, I found mine at a Boat Repair store. (Boat Alternators are always in moisture)
The link has more info and some good advice, follow it.
Another tip, is if you do cross water , get out, and rev the engine to a steady RPM for like 30 seconds to sling the water out of the alternator.
People will question my advice, read the link and .... I have 30 K and same alternator and never a mud clogged radiator.
This just is not the vehicle for Mud runs, Build a Buggy!
MC

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I dis-like mud...I try to avoid the deep stuff any time I can. Some times you just have to dunk it.

Yes the alternator is low and it will get filled with mud and fail. I have almost 39K on the X and replaced my first alternator last July. Although it was still working the bearings went south...way south.

You can fnd replacement bearings at the dealer for $25 each (you need two). If you search my Alternator How-To the part numbers are in it.

I wheel on average of once every two weeks (actually it's probably more). Living in PA, there is no shortage of mud and in most cases there is no avoiding it. I usually hose out the engine area, radiator and underside (with the skids it's hard to get the underside good) the Monday after a weekend run. If I was in any deep mud, I check the engine bay and air cleaner right away. I then usually spray it out on the way home.

I have had overheating problems and I am sure it's was due to mud in the radiator. The problem is getting to the radiator is a real pain. You should hose it from the back to the front, but unless you have an oddly curved hose it's hard to do.

That being said, some people like mud and are willing to pay to play. One guy on our local group has gone through I think 9 alternators in his 1st gen.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Here is a video from good friday last year in Upstate NY. Took months to get out all the straw grass from the field. Also had to leave an X there over night .

My X getting muddy!

·
Super Moderator
2,600 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts