Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

BFG Rugged Trail A/T no longer Suitable Fitment for '10 Off Road?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Sanders 
#1 ·
Hi Gang,
Brand new member here, but this is my second post in as many minutes... off to a great start!

I am waiting for delivery of my '10 from the local Nissan dealer who was selling a "2010 Xterra Off Road - Certified". When presented to me, it was sporting the stock BFG Rugged Trail A/T but they wouldn't pass inspection, so they will be replaced. When I tried to confirm that they would be a direct replacement by the dealer, the dealer pushed back saying they're not available anymore. I'm worried that If I am not vigilant and well-informed, they will slap the cheapest option onto the truck. It seems like the Rugged Trails are still on the BF Goodrich site, but they're not listed as fitting my vehicle.
I understand that this is a community who loves to mod, but if I am making my case that advertising an "Off Road" edition - that is distinguished as such by the BFG A/T tires and Bilstein suspension - if they stray from those things in particular, they are no longer selling an Off Road.
Is there a newer generation or direct equivalent as established by some authority (Nissan or BFG) that I can direct them to?

Thanks for any help you can provide! I can't wait to get involved in the community!

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck with that. Keep in mind that the dealer can always tell you to go pound sand. The trim level is OR, the options, (gearing, locker, hill control, etc.,) are OR.... Tires are tires. They do not make a trim level.

#3 ·
You’re right there’s more to it than the tires. But the tires were upgraded as part of the Off Road package, as well as on the vehicle they presented. I feel that there’s an obligation on a truth-in-advertising level. That said, we have a signed bill of sale that explicitly outlines the work required and it includes tires. I’ve read the tires master thread I will use that to advocate for something approximate. Falken Wildpeaks fit.

#9 · (Edited)
Yes this. OEM supplied tires are rarely the best tires.

Just as the Off Road model's OEM "skid plates" are thin pieces of sheet metal which are inferior to real skid plates, the original P rated "Rugged Trails" were more hat than cattle and the OP would be better served with an actual LT rated tire if they want to go "off road".

#5 ·
So.... what if there was something added by a previous owner that wasn't part of the OR package... say a different bumper or after market skid plates. would you make the dealer remove them and put on the factory skids? Would you throw something better in the trash just because it wasn't part of the OR trim package?

#6 ·
My buddy bought a diesel zr2 Colorado with some cheapo HT tires on it from a Chevy dealer. As long as the tires pass inspection it doesn't matter. I second the ask for a credit towards whatever tire you want.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Remember, you're buying a used car. Nothing says the dealer needs to put the exact tires on that the Xterra left the factory with. If you want factory spec you'll have to buy a new car.

#10 ·
As others have said you need to realize you are buying a 10 year old USED vehicle. The dealer is under no obligation to provide anything extra than the car sits as is where is. I would just be glad the are willing to install new tires period. If you don't like the deal then you are free to walk away. Now if it had A/T tires when you looked at it and they are going to put All Season tires then that is different. They need to put equivalent tires on it and if the originals are not available then what do you expect them to do? I would just make sure they install a comparable A/T tire and remember the tire will be of their choice not yours. The tires have nothing do do with the car, trim package or "Off Road", tires are a "wear item".
You can ask them to give you a credit towards new tires or knock $xx off the price but honestly they are free to put the cheapest POS tires on the get it out the door.

#11 ·
Ask for a discount on the vehicle price and add tires of your choice

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.