Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy 5 new tires soon. I am going to buy 265/75R16s. I have searched the internet and this forum I have read reviews and decided I do not mud terrains. I get to much snow and drive 20 miles each way to work. I also do not want to have to listen to a lot of tire noise. I have narrowed it down to either the BFG AT KOs or the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Tire rack reviews and discount tire reviews are conflicting so I am looking for complaints about either of these tires.

My concerns with the BFGs is tire noise if there are loud i would just assume get MTs. I am also concerned with the added weight of these tires killing me MPGs.

I have read quite a few reviews on the Nittos where people complain of the tread wearing out very quickly. If this is the case I will gladly get the BFGs instead.

Thanks for your assistance.

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles do you have on them?

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Probably around 6 thousand miles on these. I had them on my other 4x4 before I got the Xterra and I am really happy with how they wear. I cannot vouch for the other tire. Other than BFG, I have only used Pro Comp's and I found those tires to wear a little quick. I do love their X Terrain look though.

·
on line
4,593 Posts
I've had BFG KOs on a 1990 Izusu Trooper and a 1997 GMC Yukon.

Yes, they are a bit louder at highway speeds than a passenger tire, but not anywhere near Mud tires.

They resist wear fantastically. No complaints whatsoever. Tough sidewalls, grippy in most conditions where needed.

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 2005 X. Likely around 5k miles now and no signs of wear at all. Initially there were a bit louder than I recall the BFGs being; however, now they are not any more noticeable.

The tread isn't as deep but it's negligable. They are also slightly less aggressive looking.

Sidewalls are tough, have stood up to rocks, brush and such without issue.

The Nittos also do not clear snow well. Same issue with BFGs. Don't get me wrong, they'll do OK but they are not a great snow tire.

Overall for the money I'm pleased.

·
on line
259 Posts
Both the BFG AT KO and the Nitto Terra Grapples are great options. I have BFG AT and I have no pomplaints at all. They are really quite (compared to any MT I've used). The Nittos look good thow.

·
on line
2,004 Posts
I dunno abt the Nitto's but the BFG's are good tires. I looked at both of them. and in the end settled with Bridgestone Dueler's A/T revos. No complaints on road noise. Grip extremely well for what I've taken it through. Also for some reason they feel as if they hold the road 20X better than my stocks Grabbers did.

·
on line
191 Posts
I currently run Nitto TG's and they have pleased me so far. For the price I would go with the Nitto's. They have a slight noise, but I can only hear them when the windows are down and I'm travelling at 50+mph. Overall great a tire, and made in Japan too! haha.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
the nitto tg arent made in japan! their made in the USA and it says so right on the tire's sticker! i ave the nittos and am very pleased with them. my are awesome in the snow and i usually only use 4 wheel high to get out of my driveway after a snowstorm. then i switch it to 2 wheel drive and cruise in it where others are in 4 wheel high. great grip to snow covered road ways IMO a very good tire. and quiet to. the only time i hear the tread is when im doing 60+ on the high way and its just a very slight hummmmmm.

·
on line
191 Posts
xterraguy4life said:
the nitto tg arent made in japan! their made in the USA and it says so right on the tire's sticker! i ave the nittos and am very pleased with them. my are awesome in the snow and i usually only use 4 wheel high to get out of my driveway after a snowstorm. then i switch it to 2 wheel drive and cruise in it where others are in 4 wheel high. great grip to snow covered road ways IMO a very good tire. and quiet to. the only time i hear the tread is when im doing 60+ on the high way and its just a very slight hummmmmm.
That's odd since it says "Made in Japan" on my tires and my buddies' tires. I'll get pics of his for now here's mine.

This one I found online: I am aware that Toyo manufactures Nitto's and they have a plant in Cartersville, GA, but that plant is new and their only one in the US.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
Booya! In the day time and in the night time. Way to be thorough Jay! LOL

·
on line
268 Posts
My TG's also have Made In Japan on them. Not sure why that matters, but there you go. I've had mine on about 8,000-miles or so now. Still look brand spanking new. I was a bit concerned about wear also as I too read a few premature wear reviews also. Dunno, I guess those people were spinning their tires on pavement often? I think these will last quite awhile. Noise isn't too bad, just a low droning noise at hwy speeds and as soon as you turn on the radio it goes away. Can't help you on on the snow performance with where I'm at, but wet, rain, sand, mud, etc they do pretty darn good.

·
on line
707 Posts
I have the BFG ATs and love them...7000 miles no noise. Had them on a Jeep Wrangler and liked them(can't really judge noise with the soft top everything is loud). One of my coworkers who does a lot of driving off road and in snow also has the BFG's and every time he goes up in the snow he talks about how well his tires perform.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
KillJoy LosAngeles said:
Booya! In the day time and in the night time. Way to be thorough Jay! LOL
Yeah cause these have been known to have a double identity, japan by day and USA by night. :)

I have had my nitto TG for about 12,000 miles and they are still looking great. They performed very well in the snow and i only hear them when i have the radio on low and the window down going between 47-55 mph. These are heavier than the stocks and my MPG went down about 2MPG.

I had the BFGs on my explorer and they worked excellent in the snow and also had minimal noise (less than the nitto) while traveling. I dont remember if there was a change in MPG with these.

If money is of no concern to you, I would go BFG. If your looking to save a bit, go nitto. they are both great tires and you will be happy with either one you buy.

on a side note, you could also glance at the general AT2 tire. The nice thing about those tires is you can put studs in them for more traction in the winter.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
I've had the BFG AT KOs for about 18K miles now and they look brand new. There is a very small difference in road noise between the BFG ATs and the Rugged Trail stock tires. I haven't had them in the snow yet, but they are really good in the mud and on rock. Obviously, the MTs would be better in mud, but I assume they would be heavier and louder.

·
on line
184 Posts
This may be a bit off topic...but I noticed that Costco has a coupon for $60 off the regular set of 4 price with a coupon. The deal includes BFG's (including the AT KO's). I don't have the coupon with me...but memory tells me the special ran through mid-february.

I've bought several sets of tires from costco and have always been pleased with the service. All of their tires come with lifetime balancing and rotation which is pretty convenient since you can have it done while you are inside grazing through their food samples!

·
on line
707 Posts
FYI about Costco here at least, when I went and inquired about getting the BFG AT KO's there they told me that they wouldn't sell the m to me because they were not the stock 265/70 R16 size that come on the Xterra S...Some liability B.S.

·
on line
2,125 Posts
well y do mine say this on the sidewall....."Made in U.S.A." if u dont believe me here are some pictures to prove it
here is my back passenger tire...

and here is the marking on the side wall...

and finally here is the close up shot for all to see!..

sry it took so long to post this though. i was out of town visiting my dads side of the family in ohio. couldnt see my baby til yesterday night and then totally forgot to look. but like i said they are made in the great U.S.A.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts