Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Calgary, and will be experiencing my first Calgary winter.

Will the stock tires from my 2013 pro4x hold up to snow and ice? Any first hand reviews?

Much appreciated.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
I always felt that the stock rubber(on long trails not rugged trails) was to hard for winter driving.
and between that and the tread pattern I felt like I was gonna slide off the road in winter driving.
I don't think that rugged trails are much softer.
For Canada I would get a better winter tire. That's my opinion.

·
Registered
676 Posts
They sucked for me on about 1" of fresh snow, didn't leave them on long enough after that to experience ice.

Ran Blizzak DMV-1 tires last year and had 0 issues on fresh snow, slush, ice and anything else I encountered from NY to ME.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They will suck in Calgary winter. Can you drive on them in Calgary - yes, is it a good idea - nope.

Get a set of snow tires. Send me an e-mail at xyz123.456 at shaw.ca and you can take a peek at the Yokohama snow tires on stock rims.

·
on line
510 Posts
Before driving an Xterra in Calgary, what did you drive and where? (no need to answer)

I grew up in Ottawa driving rwd and fwd cars and was underwhelmed with the Xterra's performance in the snow. Maybe I expected too much. I drive it with M/T's in the Toronto-area winter these days and do wish that I had dedicated winter tires, but by driving carefully I manage. No one has yet put me into one of those situations in which "nobody could possibly avoid a collision in that vehicle under those conditions", so I have been both diligent and lucky, which amounts to lucky.

My M/Ts are probably a little worse than the Rugged Trails. If you can swing it, get winter tires; the Rugged Trails are just a compromise tire.

Depending upon the driving you plan to do and the size of your wallet, in addition to dedicated winter tires on their own rims (best done at beginning of vehicle ownership), you might consider Goodyear Duratracs - they are winter rated and more aggressive than the Rugged Trails. Yes, this paragraph opens a bottomless can of worms about which tires are "best".

·
Registered
575 Posts
Live few hundred miles south of you in MT and guessing we have very similar weather. Deep snow (>6") is seldom, but packed snow and ice can last for months. I didn't like the stock 'ruggeds', but when new, they will be 'fair'. I replaced mine at 5K miles due to couple flats probably from sharp gravel. If your going to get out in the sticks often, Duratracs would be good option or many other less aggressive top rated A/Ts. I like my Toyo A/T but think my next tire may be Silent Armor in 215/85-16.

·
on line
515 Posts
Rugged trails are passable in snow.

Two things to look for in snow traction:
Sipes. The more sipes, the more 'bites' on a slick surface.
Compound: Rubber formulated for lower temperatures. Most 'summer' rubber is almost rock solid at sub 20 degree temps. Since the stock tires are 'all-season' and safe throughout the 90 degree weather as well, don't expect good properties when cold.

If you are on a budget and planning on upgrading later, find a tire shop that will heavily sipe your stock tires. While it will do nothing for compounding, it will give you a little extra grip in the snow/ice. Otherwise, only a snow tire will give you the best winter traction...even a cheap one is better than an expensive all-season.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I've been in shoulder season snow on my Rugged Trails in Calgary.. they suck. I run Yokohama winters November to May... they're much better. If I had to do it again.. I'd consider getting studded. As you no doubt know, Calgary's roads in Winter are a mix of hard-packed glacial ice (residential), dirty brown slush (main and bus routes), just wet, or bone dry. Sometimes you get all conditions in one day. Hard to pick one tire for that. But... if you head to the mountains for skiing, or anything, in the winter.. you're likely to have to drive on hardpacked snow, fresh snow, drifted snow and black ice. That's where I wish I had the studded winter-rated tires.

The way I look at it is.. two sets of tires, winter and summer, will last about as long as two sets of all-seasons.. the only real extra cost is the second set of wheels.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Stock tires are ok if you drive careful and are smart. Sadly other people are retards and don't let you do that most of the time because they'll cram their car into the stopping distance you left and force you to have to brake hard.
If you can afford a new set of tires I would say go for it. I run Duratracs (all season but winter rated) and am pretty happy with them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I know a lot of tire post are on-going for the X but I would like to know what the best "WINTER" tire is for my 2010 Nissan X Off-Road in stock size (unless I can fit bigger with just melt-mod). I travel in northern MI a lot in the winter and even pull a large enclosed snowmobile trailer. I need good winter traction! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks for the response. Trying to get the best winter tires. I'll switch rims and tires back after winter. Ant winter tire suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i'm living in Canada and working in far north so dedicated winter tires here is a must.
I would suggest : Copper discoverer M+S, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7, or Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 of course studded

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have Hankook iPikes on my Frontier in the winter, they aren't too bad in mud, either.

285 Posts
If you are on a budget and planning on upgrading later, find a tire shop that will heavily sipe your stock tires. While it will do nothing for compounding, it will give you a little extra grip in the snow/ice. Otherwise, only a snow tire will give you the best winter traction...even a cheap one is better than an expensive all-season.
I have had this done on some tires in the past on my Paseo. This is a good suggestion, budget-wise. When it was time to replace the tires, there was no unusual tread wear from it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I ran stock rugged trails on a frontier during a Michigan winter. Not the best. I live in the Rocky Mountains of colorado now where our temps are very cold (0-10'F). My falken Rocky Mountains have been great. Last spring was a snowy one for us and they are fantastic. Good all terrain is the way to go

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
647 Posts
i'm living in Canada and working in far north so dedicated winter tires here is a must.
I would suggest : Copper discoverer M+S, Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7, or Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 of course studded
I run the discoverer M+S with studs in the winter, i have mine in 245/70R16 as that was the size of my last truck, and they seem to work well, although they look small on the xterra.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts