Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the stock tires to come on the x. did anyone else experiences the tires breaking apart in chunks?? i know they're crappy tires but wow.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i got 23k out of mine. crap tires.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
the stock tires to come on the x. did anyone else experiences the tires breaking apart in chunks?? i know they're crappy tires but wow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mine did that too, chunks came off all over them and they went bald around 19000. Complete garbage of a tire. Went with Michelins on the next set and got 69000 miles, worth every penny.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine did that too, chunks came off all over them and they went bald around 19000. Complete garbage of a tire. Went with Michelins on the next set and got 69000 miles, worth every penny.
wow 19k that sucks. I am at about half tread or a little less at 38k right now. but, with the breaking apart of the tire, I will need to replace probably around march or so. maybe less.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I do minor to moderate off road- dirt and sand. Not too many rocks where I go. In a rocky area my experience may be different. I dont usually expect too much from OEM tires . I have 19k or so miles on my X and I should get another year from the Long Trails. They didnt impress me when new and as they wear so quickly I am even less impressed now. I will try to swing the Michelin LTX M/S as a replacement as I had them on a previous SUV and they were AWESOME.

do you off road in yours? we have the same x btw, just different color

·
Registered
762 Posts
I never expect anything good from OEM tires. I have owned 3 new vehicles and every time have been let down by the OEM rubber. I know manufacturers cheap out on the rubber unless its a sports car where certain rubber is needed to meet the numbers they advertise.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Nissan does the same with all of their vehicles. My wife's Rogue is already in need of tires and we bought it brand new in 2011. We only have 28k on them and we are almost close to the 2/32nd mark! I'm going to have to spring for some really good tires that can help me get close to 60k. I saw a set advertised for 70k!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nissan does the same with all of their vehicles. My wife's Rogue is already in need of tires and we bought it brand new in 2011. We only have 28k on them and we are almost close to the 2/32nd mark! I'm going to have to spring for some really good tires that can help me get close to 60k. I saw a set advertised for 70k!
on my last car I had a set of Michelin's that advertised 90k. they're on discounttiredirect.com
and I have a rogue, too! ha.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2010 Xterra SE came with BFG Long Trails (265 65 17). Have had the X just shy of 4 years (bought new) but have not driven a lot of miles. The BFGs wore out with few miles (26500 miles) Now although they didn't last anywhere near the miles they are claimed to last, they at least did not start falling apart in chunks. I just replaced them a couple of weeks ago with Cooper Discoverer AT3. They come with tread depth of 16/32 yet are remarkably quiet. Have driven them so far on rough roads, newly repaved roads, gravel and dirt roads, in rain (a lot of rain) and the Coopers have been great. (Yet to drive them in snow but that should be coming soon.)

I highly recommend the Discoverer AT3 as a replacement.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
My 2010 Xterra SE came with BFG Long Trails (265 65 17). Have had the X just shy of 4 years (bought new) but have not driven a lot of miles. The BFGs wore out with few miles (26500 miles) Now although they didn't last anywhere near the miles they are claimed to last, they at least did not start falling apart in chunks. I just replaced them a couple of weeks ago with Cooper Discoverer AT3. They come with tread depth of 16/32 yet are remarkably quiet. Have driven them so far on rough roads, newly repaved roads, gravel and dirt roads, in rain (a lot of rain) and the Coopers have been great. (Yet to drive them in snow but that should be coming soon.)

I highly recommend the Discoverer AT3 as a replacement.

Cheers

Those look nice, sometimes I think manufacturers use tires that are overly soft to hide a rough ride like in the Xterra and thats why they fall apart so easily.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Generally, the answer to the Duratrac question is a resounding "yes." The only complaint that people seem to have is that at the lower load ratings (C) the sidewalls are a bit soft. Also pricey, but worth it.

My Long Trails were replaced (with Duratracs) at 22k - I was wheeling on them about once a month and they were in horrible shape. Not necessarily super worn (nearly there though) but I did take off enough sidewall for me to be concerned about their longevity. I've had my Duratracs for just about three months (maybe 2000 miles) - one got punctured irreparably by a road hazard but they wheel like a dream.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I replaced my OEM tires on mine at 23K miles with Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. I'd had these tires on my first Xterra (2004)...the tread was hardly touched even after 40k miles. I've found them to be very solid in rain, snow, sand, dirt/gravel roads. Also, I didn't notice any significant increase in road noise in comparison to the OEM ones. They are easy to squeal when turning in a parking garage though :)
So, when I decided to replace the OEMs..there was no question but to replace them with the Scorpions.

285 Posts
I think the Long Fails on my g/f's X are third to half worn, at around 10K miles. I should have got rid of them right after rolling off the lot. They should be nice and worn by next winter, so they are going to become horse trailer tires

1 - 20 of 20 Posts