Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Anyone who has been to Pittsburgh knows that the roads here are monumentally bad, as a result I have looked into this. From my research it is going to depend on a few things, but in general it seems like OME is going to be the best for smoothing out the big potholes. But one thing to consider to get a smooth ride is the stiffness of the springs and shocks vs. the weight of your rig. In the instance of OME they offer a heavy and a medium duty kit. If you are going to be adding bumpers and skid plates that will make your X very heavy than a HD kit will still offer a smooth ride, but if you want a lift but will keep most everything stock than HD would be a rough ride and MD would be the way to go.

Edit: another way to instantly improve your ride is to drop a few psi from your tires. you will sacrifice a couple of miles per gallon but your tires will absorb alot more of the shock.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I went with OEM length radflo's in the front and OME medium leaf packs with 0-2" billsteins in the back. The ride was fantastic and makes huge potholes feel like little bumps in the road.

I have since added the had leaf to the OME leaf pack and the ride is noticeably firmer now (still better than stock but probably too firm for what you want)

If you can cough up the extra dough, go with extended radflo's and new uca's. I wish I would have

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with OEM length radflo's in the front and OME medium leaf packs with 0-2" billsteins in the back. The ride was fantastic and makes huge potholes feel like little bumps in the road.

I have since added the had leaf to the OME leaf pack and the ride is noticeably firmer now (still better than stock but probably too firm for what you want)

If you can cough up the extra dough, go with extended radflo's and new uca's. I wish I would have

Which spring rate did you get?

Pot holes in Chicago are pretty bad as well.
I have Radflo 2.5s with silver coils.
I think the are 650lb.

That a little stiff for me and when I get them rebuilt I will get lower rate springs.

Softer springs will help absorb sudden shock of a pothole.

What do you have for armor? I'm not planning on getting a heavy front bumper, maybe a rear swing out bumper though.

·
Premium Member
9,953 Posts
I have the 600 lb spring rate.

The radflo's have adjustable preload so you can adjust the ride height. When you adjust the preload, the ride actually gets firmer/softer depending on what direction you go. I have mine set for about 1.5" of lift, and the ride is very comfortable, soft, but not so soft that it compromises handling in corners.

Also worth noting, I have no skids or bumbers (yet) so its stock weight (4x4 auto)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts