Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have always had a Thule box on my Xterra during the winter months. Love it but I am going to try traditional "clamping" racks this winter. Do any of you have experience with traditional clamping racks from Thule or Yakima? I need to be able to hold 4 snowboards on top of my Xterra and the racks must be able to lock. Any info or feedback would be awesome. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
I have always used Yakima. On my old vehicle it was the powder hounds and on the X it's the fat cat 6. If the boards are wide, like mine are, you may have to overlap them a little.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I used the thule 4 board racks when I lived in Denver. Functioned perfectly. They were pricey when new once you bought the racks, specific clamps, and then the locks.

The only negative I found was the boards got a little dirty from road slush.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the fatcat6 as well. They are long enough to fill up the entire length of the cross bar so it doesn't look "empty" lol. I posted some pic before let me see if I can find them

Found them :

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on the racks guys. Getting stoked for winter! The FatCat looks lower profile than the Thule for sure. Curious, with the FatCat can you double boards up to effectively put 4 boards on the roof of the Xterra? Two bindings down and two bindings up? Thanks again. Also, will both mount to our wide cross-bars ok?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Thanks for the info on the racks guys. Getting stoked for winter! The FatCat looks lower profile than the Thule for sure. Curious, with the FatCat can you double boards up to effectively put 4 boards on the roof of the Xterra? Two bindings down and two bindings up? Thanks again. Also, will both mount to our wide cross-bars ok?
Yes you can fit 4 boards on the fat cat 6. Yes it does fit right in the cross bars.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Slightly OT here, but has anyone had experience with the Thule easy grip clamps that come on their roof boxes now? I'm wondering if they fit the factory crossbars on xterra's?

Back on topic, I have been using the Thule Flat Top 6 for a few years and it works great. The only issue I have had is that if I have skis/boards in the rack my x is to tall to fit into my garage and I'm not lifted at all. This kinda sucks if the lock cores get frozen and I cant get the rack open. It fits 6 pairs of skinny skis or 4 pair of 110ish waist skis. 4 boards also fit no problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts